Photo TR: Japan and southern China

Just added Chimelong Paradise - page 14
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Photo TR: Japan and southern China

Postby la2lvtom » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:12 am

Watching monkeys at play is always good for a laugh.
Top 5 steel : 1. Nemesis (Alton Towers), 2. Millenium Force (Cedar Point), 3. Flying Dinosaur (Universal Studios Japan), 4. Incredible Hulk (IOA), 5. Parrot Coaster (Chimelong Ocean Kingdom)

Top 5 wood : 1. the Beast (Kings Island), 2. Wood Coaster (Knights Valley, Shenzhen China), 3. El Toro (Six Flags Great Adventure), 4. the Voyage (Holiday World) 5. Ghostrider (Knott's Berry Farm)

Postby la2lvtom » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:07 pm

We decided to have a date night and although there are many nice places in Guangzhou for a date night my favorite is the Canton Tower. At 600 meters tall (1968 ft) the Canton Tower was, at one time, the tallest structure in the world (now it settles to be just the tallest structure in Guangzhou but just barely). At the top you will find several observation decks (including the worlds highest observation deck), a bubble tram (think Ferris Wheel layed flat) and the worlds highest thrill ride (2 Intamin giant drops). Within the tower are also several restaurants (including one that revolves), a 4D movie theater, A science and Technology exhibit and the Spider Walk.

Enjoy the pics...
IMAG1329.jpg
Take the Guangzhou Metro line 3 and exit at the Canton Tower station and you will arrive at the Canton Tower in all its glory.
IMAG1330.jpg
Anyone who has seen the latest Transformers movie should remember that Guangzhou plays a big part of the plot of the story so Transformers are really hot in Guangzhou now. This one must have been 30 feet tall.
IMAG1331.jpg
When the tower first opened you were able to purchase activities piece meal (individually) but now they only sell them in packages. Although I know Lily probably wouldn't do the spider walk (now called sky walk) I opted for the Glamor Pass because it was the only one that offered the 488 out look and I wanted to present a complete trip report.
IMAG1332.jpg
A nice little ZEN flower arrangement was found in the lobby.
IMAG1333.jpg
This fancy pants piano was used in the opening ceremony of the 16th Asian games held in Guangzhou.
IMAG1335.jpg
The exterior skeleton runs through the lobby.
IMAG1336.jpg
Yep, it's officially Chinese once the lantern are hung.
Last edited by la2lvtom on Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:18 pm.
Top 5 steel : 1. Nemesis (Alton Towers), 2. Millenium Force (Cedar Point), 3. Flying Dinosaur (Universal Studios Japan), 4. Incredible Hulk (IOA), 5. Parrot Coaster (Chimelong Ocean Kingdom)

Top 5 wood : 1. the Beast (Kings Island), 2. Wood Coaster (Knights Valley, Shenzhen China), 3. El Toro (Six Flags Great Adventure), 4. the Voyage (Holiday World) 5. Ghostrider (Knott's Berry Farm)

Postby la2lvtom » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:11 pm

Here is video of the glass elevator that takes you to the enclosed observation deck at the top of Canton Tower.

Postby la2lvtom » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:15 pm

Canton Tower...
IMAG1338.jpg
As you depart the elevator you are inside the enclosed observation floor at 428 meters (1404 feet). This is the first view you come to out of the elevator.
IMAG1341.jpg
There are benches that line the windows so you can relax as you enjoy the view of Guangzhou from above.
IMAG1347.jpg
Okay, I am not afraid of heights or anything like that but this enclosed glass plank kinda freaked me out a bit. Once you look down at the ground so far below it was a bit unnerving.
IMAG1359.jpg
The outdoor observation deck wraps around the top of the tower and changes elevation from 433 meters (1420 feet) to 449 meters (1473 feet).
IMAG1378.jpg
The Star Trek bridge from the Canton Tower looks so small.
IMAG1376.jpg
Here is a view of the bubble tram from the highest point on the observation deck. The bubble tram follows the observation deck around and changes elevation with it.
IMAG1383.jpg
Time to ride the bubble tram.
IMAG1384.jpg
The heart of the city from the bubble tram. The building to the right of center is a new office building. It is 590 meters tall (1935 feet) and that is without an antenna on top of it. That's just crazy.
IMAG1385.jpg
Looking in the direction of the Pearl River.
IMAG1386.jpg
Starting the incline to the highest point of the bubble tram.
IMAG1388.jpg
A look at the Star Trek bridge from the bubble tram.
IMAG1390.jpg
There are 2 small benches in each "bubble" with room for 6 people. Plenty of great picture opportunities.
IMAG1391.jpg
Reaching the highest point on the bubble tram, 455 meters (1493 feet).
IMAG1395.jpg
Starting the descent back down. This is a really unique ride, it takes 20 minutes to make the full journey and it is highly recommended.

Postby la2lvtom » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Next up is the worlds highest thrill ride, the Giant Drop...
IMAG1348.jpg
You ride 2 different versions of this Intamin giant drop, the first one is the standard sit down version. You start at the 454 meter (1489 feet) level then rise to 485 meters (1591 feet) and the freefall back down to the deck.
IMAG1355.jpg
The version on the other side of the tower is a floorless & tilt giant drop.
IMAG1364.jpg
Ascending up the tower.
IMAG1366.jpg
Making the drop back down on the floorless side. This is my first floorless & tilt giant drop and it is really fun but even though the tilt is minor at the top it really does make you a bit nervous.

Postby la2lvtom » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:41 pm

Here is a video I took last year while on the tower of the floorless drop.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:57 am

The "bubble tram" looks pretty cool.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby falconsfury » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:58 am

that's a rely cool piano.
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/e855bd6904f08191818dc1659adcf5a8.jpg[/img][/url]

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby maverickpoint » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:08 am

falconsfury wrote:that's a rely cool piano.

I was thinking the same thing lol

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:26 am

Great photos! I really need to get back to Canton Tower :lover: Do you know who the manufacture of that bobble tram is? I'm thinking about Chance because of the track style but couldn't find anything online.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive