Photo TR: Mini New Hotness/East Coast Trip

UPDATE: Scott's Pizza Tour!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Mini New Hotness/East Coast Trip

Postby sspaz1000 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:10 pm

nice report Chuck! While I didn't join you guys at Coney this year, I did go up and pretty much had the same opinion on Thunderbolt. That ride has so much potential.

Didn't check out Spook-o-Rama this summer, I guess that just means I have to go back and check it out next year. :)

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Chuck - no reference to the hole in the wall taco stand?
Last edited by larrygator on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:15 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:04 pm

^You're right--that slipped my mind. Those were damn good tacos, too.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:06 am

Days 11 & 12, Part 2: Scott's Pizza Tour

We are near the end of this trip. Just one more glorious afternoon in the New York City before most of us return to what passes for our normal lives. And it ended on a very high note, indeed, with something that everyone needs to try at least once: Scott's Pizza Tour.

Let's get one thing straight: Scott likes pizza with a fervor that many in our community reserve for old Schwarzkopf roller coasters. I have never encountered anyone with such a passionate devotion to one subject outside of academia. (Let's face it: "pizza studies" would be far more interesting, not to mention tastier, than yet another dissertation on Faulkner or Shakespeare.) Here's a good example: Scott had posed a question concerning what sort of topping does not belong on a pizza. I put forth the infamous "Pizzarito," in which the old Shakey's chain had actually buried pizza dough under a mound of lettuce, refried beans, and other ingredients that are better wrapped up in a tortilla. Scott followed up with an interesting history of Shakey's pizza in California.

Yes, Scott knows a lot about pizza, and he has the largest collection of pizza boxes in the world (as recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records). In fact, he shared so much information that I hesitate to replicate it here, as I'll mostly likely mix it up and get it wrong. But that's OK--it means I'll just have to take his tour again some day. ;)

Here are some photos of us wandering around New York and sharing the rich cultural heritage of this city through baked dough, cheese, and sauce.
072 - Copy.jpg
Welcome to Little Italy.
073 - Copy.jpg
Formerly the "Gangster of Love Shop." Now I think it's run by some guy called "Maurice."
074 - Copy.jpg
This bear was strung up for daring to speak of "the Pompatus of Love."
075 - Copy.jpg
Sharks and beer--how could this go wrong?
076 - Copy.jpg
Welcome to the first actual "pizzeria" in the United States.
077 - Copy.jpg
The plaque proves what I say is true.
078 - Copy.jpg
So does this mirror--and mirrors do not lie.
079 - Copy.jpg
I wonder if you can order an actual "gummi" pizza, and, if so, why would you want to?
080 - Copy.jpg
Scott has forgotten more about pizza than anyone else will ever know. Scratch that. He's hasn't forgotten anything.
081 - Copy.jpg
I admit to failing at keeping the pizza journal.
082 - Copy.jpg
Dan, however, excels at pizza-related word games.
083 - Copy.jpg
Now that is one, big, hot pizza oven.
084 - Copy.jpg
Scott is drawn like a moth to a flame. (If this were a Stephen King story, he'd be in big trouble.)
085 - Copy.jpg
But man does not live on pizza alone--unless that man is Scott.
086 - Copy.jpg
Hmm--I'm not sure what sort of impression you'd make by shipping rice pudding to somebody. It would make an unusual Christmas gift.
087.jpg
I never knew that they grew pina colada-flavored rice. Must be some new variety they developed in Japan.
088.jpg
I love this city.
089.jpg
Didn't get the chance to find out--maybe next time. One more set of photos to come.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:23 am

Our revels now are ended . . . at least after I post the final photos.
090 - Copy.jpg
"A vacant lot is not a good place to get pizza--especially the kind you find on the ground. Be warned."
091 - Copy.jpg
Yet another reason to love New York.
092 - Copy.jpg
If you're looking to open your own pizzeria, you might want to call these guys.
093 - Copy.jpg
This area doesn't look all that "pizza friendly."
094 - Copy.jpg
I'll bet this dude scores every night.
095 - Copy.jpg
This joint offers a pizza in which the dough is fried, topped, then baked. While I thought the middle of the pie was too soggy, the crust around the edges was crisp and tasted like very good pancakes. Their "more conventional" pies are very good.
096 - Copy.jpg
Prosicutto and mozzarella are good, too.
097 - Copy.jpg
A pizza igloo. Yes, this is how Eskimos bake pizza.
098 - Copy.jpg
It's gotta beat the crap outta Subway.
099 - Copy.jpg
Moving along--you get a rather nice walk to work off the pizza during this tour.
100 - Copy.jpg
The most successful company ever on the New York Stock Exchange.
101 - Copy.jpg
One World Trade Center (I think).
102 - Copy.jpg
We're not stopping here, Uncle Ted--no pizza.
103 - Copy.jpg
We've almost reached the end. There was some sort of event going on out in the street.
104 - Copy.jpg
Ming the Merciless has hit rock bottom.
105 - Copy.jpg
Our last stop was Joe's Pizza, a "slice shop."
106 - Copy.jpg
Looks pretty popular.
107 - Copy.jpg
I just realized that my photos of Scott's Pizza Tour have been remarkably free of pizza. So, here are seven guys eating pizza.
108 - Copy.jpg
It was pretty dang good, too. (I think I was too busy enjoying the pizza to take pictures of it.)
109 - Copy.jpg
"More? Well, if you insist."
110.jpg
Don't make Scott angry. He morphs into "Pizz the Hutt" and can't resist eating himself!
111 - Copy.jpg
Wait--where did you get those cupcakes?
112 - Copy.jpg
Too bad I'm already stuffed from so much great pizza.
113.jpg
"Would you like some pizza, little girl?"
114.jpg
Thanks, Scott--what a great way to end the trip! And my thanks to Robb and Elissa for yet another great vacation!

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:29 am

cfc wrote:
091_-_copy.jpg

:lol: :lmao:
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby TBpony414 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:00 am

Sad to see this TR come to an end but it was a lot of fun to read! TRs are my favorite part of the forums because of the different pictures, details, funny captions, etc. Did you visit 3 pizza places on the tour or more and you just didn't take pics? How long is the pizza tour? And finally, what is the name of that cupcake place?

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:34 am

^We visited three pizzerias, which used different types of ovens. I don't remember the name of the cupcake place, but it's a favorite of Elissa's and it was near Joe's.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:28 pm

The cupcake place is called Molly's and it's FANTASTIC. There's one location in NYC and one in Chicago.

BTW Chuck, that wasn't just mozzarella Sarah was holding...it was BURRATA!!!! To me it is the king of the mozzarella's!!!!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:31 pm

This photo right here is where Scott was validating Sarah's existence. He told her it's "ok" to eat pizza without sauce and in fact, the origins of pizza started without sauce! (I believe that's what he told her) So she can go ahead and eat pizza without sauce and there isn't anything wrong with that!

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive