Photo TR: China Theme Parks By Public Transport.

The weird and wonderful Tokyo Owl Cafe
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Photo TR: China Theme Parks By Public Transport.

Postby Gutterflower » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:33 pm

Hello All.

This October I embarked on my latest trip to China. I've been to China on many occasions before but this was the first time I went almost exclusively for theme park purposes. Driving in China is only really for the suicidal so I decided to attempt as many parks as possible using Public Transport alone.

Chinese public transport is actually excellent and almost all major cities are connected by incredibly efficient bullet trains. Where the buses and trains let me down a taxi had to suffice but they are crazily cheap if you can convince a driver to go on the meter.

Where possible I will explain how I got to each park for anyone wishing to do the same one day.

Anyway on to the parks.

I flew into Beijing from Helsinki at 6am and caught the airport express to the city center, from there i caught the metro to my hostel and checked in. Since the day was still young I quickly downed a couple of cups of tea and headed for my first park.

Sun Park

Sun Park is an easy park to get to if you don't mind a little walking. Accessible from Tuanjiehu Station on Line 10 of the metro (light blue) it is a short walk (about 20mins) to the park gate. I arrived at the station and just checked the maps in the ticket hall which showed which exit i needed for the correct road east. The walk takes you past a large stadium and when you reach the park entrance you'll know. Its a massive yellow arch.

Sun Park operates a pay by ride system. You have to pay a small charge to get into the park itself and then each ride costs extra.

The park itself is actually quite nice and a lot of families appear to go for a picnic and to enjoy the parts of the park without rides. All the rides themselves are knock offs but there wasn't anything that bad about any of them. If you have the time the park is certainly worth a visit especially as it has 10 credits for the credit whores among you.
IMG_7696 (Copy).JPG
Upon arriving I found the park rammed, Turns out the whole week was a National Holiday.
IMG_7698 (Copy).JPG
Parachute drop towers are everywhere in China.
IMG_7699 (Copy).JPG
The parks newest attractions was this knock off motorbike.
IMG_7701 (Copy).JPG
Taking its layout from the Vekoma versions it is a clone of Booster Bike at Toverland.
IMG_7703 (Copy).JPG
The ride was open when I arrived so I went and bought a ticket.
IMG_7709 (Copy).JPG
The ride itself was as expected. A bit rough but not too bad and an OK launch.
IMG_7713 (Copy).JPG
The rides a lot more sluggish than the Vekoma version.
IMG_7714 (Copy).JPG
It does have some nice curves though and the transitions rode well enough
IMG_7720 (Copy).JPG
The ride is called Flying Coaster in English but the Chinese translates as Motorbike Coaster
IMG_7723 (Copy).JPG
The park also has a standard loopscrew. This wasn't too bad roughness wise.
IMG_7725 (Copy).JPG
It ended up being one of the better ones on the trip.
IMG_7726 (Copy).JPG
Although still not great.
IMG_7727 (Copy).JPG
I do however love the crazy colour scheme.
IMG_7728 (Copy).JPG
Some iffy transitions right there.
IMG_7731 (Copy).JPG
The park had a standard mouse ride which was as standard as standard can be.
IMG_7735 (Copy).JPG
I gave this a miss.
IMG_7736 (Copy).JPG
Whatever this was it's gone now. But apparently Happiness can be found in a mask.
IMG_7737 (Copy).JPG
First one of these of the trip. These are like the Chinese Starbucks. They are everywhere and a bit rubbish but you go anyway.
IMG_7738 (Copy).JPG
This is another fairly recent ride. A spinning coaster. It offers a decent ride but a little rough
IMG_7739 (Copy).JPG
It was originally thought that this was an original layout but it was taken from a Morgan design shown at IAAPA almost 10 years ago.
IMG_7756 (Copy).JPG
This park has 2 starbucks coasters.
IMG_7758 (Copy).JPG
The mine train was tough to take pictures of. But its not a bad ride.
IMG_7765 (Copy).JPG
It gets quicker and quicker along the course and gives a nice lateral or two.
IMG_7766 (Copy).JPG
If powered coasters are the Starbucks these are the Dennys, They make me feel queasy and they are all over the place.
IMG_7770 (Copy).JPG
Classic Golden Horse mouse face.
IMG_7781 (Copy).JPG
I headed back to the motorbike to find it broken down and shut for the day.
IMG_7782 (Copy).JPG
Seems the ride wouldn't launch properly and the car would roll to the first hill and back to the station over and over.
IMG_7785 (Copy).JPG
Still have to work out some kinks then it seems.
IMG_7787 (Copy).JPG
And maybe make their own layouts for once... but hey... maybe thats just my view.
IMG_7788 (Copy).JPG
The low to the ground turns provided a nice moment.
IMG_7789 (Copy).JPG
It looks nice if nothing else.
IMG_7794 (Copy).JPG
Launch Track. Or Non Launching track as the case was at this point.
IMG_7795 (Copy).JPG
It lies.
IMG_7801 (Copy).JPG
A quick second ride on the looper and I headed off too see some flats.
IMG_7804 (Copy).JPG
This thing look horrible. So i gave it a miss.
IMG_7805 (Copy).JPG
It really was busy but most of the ride queues were short. Most people had just bought picnics to the park.
IMG_7806 (Copy).JPG
This looked kind of fun. Like a cheap diggerland.
IMG_7808 (Copy).JPG
I couldn't figure out if this was an Official store... I'm going to go with no though.
IMG_7809 (Copy).JPG
The entrance is actually pretty impressive. And easy to spot from the road. Next up Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park.
Last edited by Gutterflower on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:05 am.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Photo TR: China Theme Parks By Public Transport.

Postby larrygator » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:13 pm

Thanks for the pictures, didn't realize they got a new coaster since 2012. Sun Park was my first experience with old ladies trying to scare the crap out of me in a haunted house.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:20 pm

^As I recall, they both of us in the butt with brooms. :lol:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:52 pm

Nice little Trip Report. Great photos too! I am glad you enjoyed the park, and I am looking forward to seeing more of this trip report! I always love seeing what weird attractions China has!
Bigger is not always better.

Postby larrygator » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:56 pm

cfc wrote:^As I recall, they both of us in the butt with brooms. :lol:

Yes, that was first time we were attacked with the brooms.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:40 am

Great TR! Motorbike coaster opened during the national holiday so you were very lucky FYI get a brand new coaster. I took a 2 hour trip to Sun Park during IAAPA this year but only rode the Morgan spinner knock-off and the Loop&Screw because I don't feel like paying that much for the knock-off coasters.

Did you ride Motorbike Coaster at the back row? Jiuhua told me they designed the first hill like that to offer some intense airtime in the back.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Gutterflower » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:43 pm

I didn't ride back row but there wasn't that much airtime in the middle. It was an OK ride but its just a little shaky,

Next up for me was Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park. A park that previously got in trouble for being full of Disney characters and the home of the first knock off SLC with that now ubiquitous layout.

Getting to the park is easy as pie. Using the Beijing Metro is easy and each trip costs around 20 cents. Several parks are easy to reach from the metro including Sun park, Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park, Happy Valley and Beijing World Park.

Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park even has it's own stop called Bajiao Amusement Park Station and is about 5 mins walk from the metro exit. One thing to note is that you can't get between platforms once you go down underground at this station so make sure you enter the correct side when you go home.

The park itself is a bit of a dump to be honest. It is split in two by a railway line and each side a decent collection of knock off coasters. The most impressive thing about Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park is the insane collection of flat rides. There are tons of them in every form imaginable.

However even though i visited during one of the busiest weeks of the year about half of the flats were shut. Thankfully the majority of the coasters were open but the Indoor Jurassic coaster was closed as was the shuttle loop. The shuttle loop looked like it had been closed a while with the area taped off.

Overall I much preferred Sun park to Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park. It's a big park with a lot of rides but it lacks character and just feels cheap.
IMG_7811 (Copy).JPG
I've not been back to Beijing in 11 years and it was cool to see how it had changed, This is the street with my hostel on it. Flags everywhere for the national day holiday.
IMG_7812 (Copy).JPG
This is the railroad that runs through the park. You can either walk across it or cross over the knock off Tower Bridge.
IMG_7814 (Copy).JPG
My first ride of the day was the knock off SLC. Shenzhou Coaster.
IMG_7815 (Copy).JPG
Themed to the Chinese space program, I hope the taikonaut's had a smoother ride than this.
IMG_7817 (Copy).JPG
It's always worrying when a man has to re-attach a seat belt to the ride after it fell off on the circuit before.
IMG_7822 (Copy).JPG
The ride itself is pretty horrible but better than I expected. By the end it just crawls into the brakes.
IMG_7824 (Copy).JPG
One of the more worrying trips to the top I've ever had.
IMG_7825 (Copy).JPG
I assume this is the lift hill recovery cart... it looks like a torture device to me.
IMG_7829 (Copy).JPG
This bit of the ride was acceptable enough.
IMG_7831 (Copy).JPG
This was weird. A lot of hang time.
IMG_7833 (Copy).JPG
By this point its crawling.
IMG_7840 (Copy).JPG
The ride actually had a zero-g after the loop when it was first built. But the inversion was replaced during testing for the airtime(ish) hill we have today.
IMG_7841 (Copy).JPG
The park has an impressive collection of flat rides.
IMG_7844 (Copy).JPG
Some of the classics can be found.
IMG_7846 (Copy).JPG
This was a pretty intense version of a Top Scan, Although fairly sure it wasn't a real one.
IMG_7851 (Copy).JPG
It's not quite Disney is it?
IMG_7852 (Copy).JPG
The Overcast smoggy weather was omnipresent on this trip.
IMG_7853 (Copy).JPG
This is arguably my favorite ride at the park.
IMG_7854 (Copy).JPG
It's a good fun little ride with some nice spiraling turns.
IMG_7856 (Copy).JPG
Nothing too thrilling but just good fun.
IMG_7857 (Copy).JPG
Amusingly you need two people to ride. As I was on my own the Ride Op called over a bemused security guard to ride with me.
IMG_7858 (Copy).JPG
Another one of these. The less said about it the better.
IMG_7859 (Copy).JPG
I still don't know why they need the chain on the lap bar.
IMG_7862 (Copy).JPG
The Atomic Coaster is a Senyo built ride with newer Chinese trains
IMG_7866 (Copy).JPG
It actually rides pretty well and was one of the busiest ride in the park.
IMG_7867 (Copy).JPG
Number 2 of the many loopscrews on this trip
IMG_7868 (Copy).JPG
The obligatory ferris wheel has a huge queue.
IMG_7869 (Copy).JPG
Atomic Coasters first turn around.
IMG_7870 (Copy).JPG
This area of the park is the kids area and probably the nicest part of the park.
IMG_7871 (Copy).JPG
The themeing is pretty good but a bit random.
IMG_7872 (Copy).JPG
The Batman apparently.
IMG_7873 (Copy).JPG
The ride was shut, As i gather it has been for quite some time.
IMG_7876 (Copy).JPG
I think there is a drop tower in here. But it was closed too.
IMG_7888 (Copy).JPG
The splash ride has a nice theme but i gave it a miss today.
IMG_7901 (Copy).JPG
It looked pretty long with at least 3 drops and the splash down had a huge watching crowd.
IMG_7902 (Copy).JPG
Another closed flat but I like the theme.
IMG_7903 (Copy).JPG
Every self respecting park has one of these.
IMG_7904 (Copy).JPG
Also closed.
IMG_7905 (Copy).JPG
Another closed ride. The ride is themed to a medieval tebuchet. I always thought the ride was next to that tower but the tower is quite a way behind the ride.
IMG_7908 (Copy).JPG
Terrifying horses.
IMG_7910 (Copy).JPG
Does anyone know if it is a tower ride in here? And if so has it ever opened?
IMG_7917 (Copy).JPG
Taken straight from the Happy Valley parks, Not sure which is the original though.
IMG_7918 (Copy).JPG
This perked me up a bit.
IMG_7919 (Copy).JPG
Looking down to Atomic Coaster.
IMG_7920 (Copy).JPG
More terrifying sculptures.
IMG_7922 (Copy).JPG
This was the weirdest ride I saw all day. The flowers pop up and down and spin randomly it seems.
IMG_7924 (Copy).JPG
Epcot style dome. Whatever was inside was also closed.
IMG_7931 (Copy).JPG
The park entrance.
IMG_7932 (Copy).JPG
The shuttle loop was closed and appeared to be SBNO
IMG_7933 (Copy).JPG
Dinner tonight involved spiced Octopus. It was lovely. Next up is Happy Valley Tianjin
Last edited by Gutterflower on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:23 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:57 pm

Awesome photos! Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park looks like it is trying to be a mix between Six Flags, Disney, and Universal. I like how the rides (for the most part) all seemed to have good theming. Glad you had a good time! I can't wait to see the next park!
Bigger is not always better.

Postby larrygator » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:33 pm

I'm pretty sure there was a tower ride in the tower. During the 2012 TPR Tour it was also closed but there was a faded picture on a sign that made us believe a tower ride used to be in there or was intended to go in.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Most of the closed flat rides you posted were also closed on our previous visits. I've also found it's very hard in China to tell a SBNO coaster from one that's just randomly closed.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!