TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

Mael...oh, wait...

Huh, didn't even think about the mine trains or boat rides, or 3D Shows, or well, you get the point.

That being said, would it be too much to ask to have a Character Meet w/ Q*Bert? How about being able to get a drink at the "Root Beer Tapper"? The possibilities with Wreck-It Ralph go beyond Sugar Rush Racers.

That being said, would it be too much to ask to have a Character Meet w/ Q*Bert? How about being able to get a drink at the "Root Beer Tapper"? The possibilities with Wreck-It Ralph go beyond Sugar Rush Racers.

It would be, but I wonder if a Wreck-it Ralph area ever happened how much they'd really be able to use those characters? It's one thing to license them for a movie, but remember that Q*Bert is actually owned by Sony and Tapper by Warner Bros. While those properties are totally sitting dormant at the moment, you know if Disney all of a sudden came by with even more interest in them, the price would go up.

Sad reality about what happens to IPs in this crazy entertainment world...

I'm guessing that Disney is going to go with the properties they own outright.

Edited by robbalvey

I'm all for more rides with the Test Track technology. And you might as well throw in a properly-utilized ride with the DisneySea Winnie the Pooh technology while they are at it.

Yes yes yes. The world needs more pooh's honey hunt quality of ride with those vehicles!

Denying a ride concept over the fact it uses a similar system to something already on the property is a non-starter. Umpteen Omnimover rides, I'd love to see a second attraction with the Test Track/Radiator Springs system and definitely something else in DHS with the IJA/Dinosaur/Journey to the Center of the Earth ride system.

I'd love to see a second attraction with the Test Track/Radiator Springs system and definitely something else in DHS with the IJA/Dinosaur/Journey to the Center of the Earth ride system.

Journey to the Center of the Earth actually uses the Test Track ride system!

Yesterday the Big Hero 6 meet & greet with Hiro and Baymax opened at Disney's Hollywood Studios! Kristen and I went down this morning to meet them. They did awesome! Baymax can move and blink, and he's a huge inflatable! While he doesn't talk, Hiro actually does a very good job helping with the interaction between Baymax and the guests.

The area where they put this is where Wreck-It Ralph used to be (they are being featured in parades now), and if you've seen the movie, the whole area has awesome props and stuff from the film. (You really should go see it, it's awesome!)

Here's some photos and video:

bh6_meet_01.thumb.jpg.051651015c4b18229c65e1e5e95cc7c8.jpg

The Big Hero 6 meet & greet area is themed to Hiro's robotics lab that is housed in his garage in the film.

bh6_meet_02.thumb.jpg.164c722eab96f3f64ecda8409517c571.jpg

This is Baymax's containment and charging unit along with his rocket fist.

bh6_meet_03.thumb.jpg.a2c9ecb3ad1734f0122f6df224509c68.jpg

Hiro's bot fighting bot that always seems to get him in a bit of trouble! =)

bh6_meet_04.thumb.jpg.b76df41c4c86e945f2e76ca0dd150d2e.jpg

Kristen is all ready to go meet Baymax & Hiro!

bh6_meet_05.thumb.jpg.f81ccff227116d74a778c2cb58b397bf.jpg

The queue area has giant posters of all the characters. There's Honey Lemon.

bh6_meet_06.thumb.jpg.e536b6451373260b5d83ca73ace1e069.jpg

Here's Fred in his "Fredzilla" suit! (I think that's what they call him)

bh6_meet_07.thumb.jpg.692f4d29ac7222a5c12c48478474e70d.jpg

Wasabi and his laser blades!

bh6_meet_08.thumb.jpg.5c2be7268a03d3ae84528314594fa4ec.jpg

15 minutes before the meet & greet opened, the entire queue was totally full! Big Hero 6 has only been out one day and already the meet & greet is getting a lot of attention!

bh6_meet_09.thumb.jpg.ad00e98216d921220862c1ce111ddcee.jpg

They were even passing our special Big Hero 6 Photo Pass cards!

bh6_meet_10.thumb.jpg.21137c0ba404601c5f1185424342d6f7.jpg

Kristen LOVED getting to meet Baymax & Hiro!

bh6_meet_11.thumb.jpg.b04c705a7b24328192b9e7986349ca1a.jpg

This was a cute touch with Hiro showed Baymax the "mini Baymax" and suggested maybe Wasabi used his shrinking ray on him!

bh6_meet_12.thumb.jpg.501ded9f08a832e1f143f7d42f6c8120.jpg

Hiro was very impressed with Kristen's Honey Lemon/Go Go shirt. When he said "That's a sick shirt", it got Baymax's attention! =) (You'll have to see the movie!)

bh6_meet_13.thumb.jpg.9b93e08023a65e4b99212ac4d1927d7f.jpg

Oh, yeah, did we mention that Baymax can blink?

bh6_meet_14.thumb.jpg.1032fa9330cd4aa7e96d3adf69cafc7d.jpg

Great job, guys! Really loved this character meet & greet!

bh6_meet_15.thumb.jpg.bf24bef48ac06b7467b0bb43aa114422.jpg

Here's another overview of what the area looks like.

bh6_meet_16.thumb.jpg.6569b5fd76c8947190c634dadd3d3ef9.jpg

And here you can see where it's placed in the Animation building at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

bh6_meet_17.thumb.jpg.59ffa43045a7b6d2ac52d4413eacaea5.jpg

Of course on our way our, we had to go get the new Baymax Magic Bands!

bh6_meet_18.thumb.jpg.3aa3bd3605a3a9f9e8109ab30a196bb7.jpg

And on the way home, Kristen made sure Baymax was secure. "Seatbelts save lives!"

Next Halloween the world will have to play the "Drink When you See a ......." game with Baymax instead of Elsa.

This meet and greet is awesome, I don't know if my 2 year old will sit through a movie yet or not but I might have to give Big Hero 6 a shot with her.

I'm impressed with the Baymax costume! The blinking was very smooth looking almost like an animation.

I am really going to have to see this move soon.

These character costumes have really come a long way since, for example, this:

It's amazing how much personality a big inflatable that doesn't talk can have.

I did the Animators Preview screening about 3 weeks ago up in San Francisco. IMHO I enjoyed the film very much. It realy is a well done family film. I think 4 & 5 might be a bit young, unless your kids have great attention spans. I would say the film is much more geared toward 8-14 year old boys and girls as well as most of the pop cultural set. I know my kids will love it.

I would say the film is much more geared toward 8-14 year old boys and girls as well as most of the pop cultural set. I know my kids will love it.

We just got back from seeing it again with a theater filled with kids Kristen's age (7 years old) and even younger and we didn't notice anyone having attention span issues.

^That's good to hear. I thought is skewed a bit older. Even after seeing the final cut, some of the animators thought that the character of Yokai might be a bit dark and scary for younger children. It's always a different experience seeing it with an audience of strictly adults vs. an audience with families and children. Regardless, I think the film will be a huge success for Disney, and deservedly so. I very much enjoyed it.

Oh, and the Baymax robot is a great meet and greet character. Watching him on screen all I could think was what a cool live character it would make. Did it have a person inside and move, or was it a stationary inflatable blinking animatronic?

Guy,"Yokai is the bad guy for those of you who haven't see it yet." Koepp

• 3 weeks later...

https://pressroom.turner.com/us/tcm/tcm-disney-team-share-stories#.VHYGsIu3nlo

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) today announced new strategic relationships with Walt Disney World Resort and The Walt Disney Studios to broaden its reach in family entertainment with joint efforts centered on classic film.

At Disney's Hollywood Studios, the "The Great Movie Ride" Attraction highlights some of the most famous film moments in silver screen history and is set to receive a TCM-curated refresh of the pre-show and the finale. TCM branding will be integrated into the attraction's marquee as well as banners, posters and display windows outside the attraction. In the queue line, families will enjoy new digital movie posters and will watch a new pre-ride video with TCM host Robert Osborne providing illuminating insights from the movies some of which guests will experience during the ride. The finale will feature an all-new montage of classic movie moments. After guests exit the attraction, they will have a photo opportunity with a classic movie theme. The TCM-curated refresh is set to launch by spring.

Treasures from the Disney VaultAs part of the relationship with The Walt Disney Studios, TCM will launch Treasures from the Disney Vault, a recurring on-air showcase that will include such live-action Disney features as Treasure Island (1950), Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959) and Pollyanna (1960); animated films like The Three Caballeros (1944) and The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949); classic nature documentaries, including The Living Desert (1953) and The African Lion (1955); made-for-television classics, such as the Davy Crockett series; special episodes from Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color; documentaries about the studio, including Walt & El Grupo (2009) and Waking Sleeping Beauty (2010); and animated shorts, such as 1932's Oscar®-winning "Flowers and Trees."

Treasures from the Disney Vault is scheduled to premiere on TCM Sunday, Dec. 21 at 8 p.m. The opening night will include the holiday and winter animated shorts "Santa's Workshop," "On Ice" and "Chip An' Dale," followed by The Disneyland Story. The night will also include The Reluctant Dragon, Disney's 1941 film that combined a live-action tour of the Walt Disney Studios facility with animated shorts; Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier (1955), a compilation of the first three episodes of the iconic series starring Fess Parker; the Oscar®-winning documentary The Vanishing Prairie (1954), part of Disney's True Life Adventure series; the rarely seen Third Man on the Mountain (1959), an Alpine tale starring Michael Rennie and James MacArthur; and Perilous Assignment (1959), a documentary about the making of Third Man on the Mountain.

"At TCM, it's our mission to share and celebrate the greatest films of all time," said Jennifer Dorian, general manager of TCM. "Disney provides the perfect relationship through which we can share the magic of the movies with every generation, not only through an amazing new showcase on TCM, but also through newly refreshed components of 'The Great Movie Ride' Attraction at Disney's Hollywood Studios."

"We are looking forward to this collaboration, which complements Disney's commitment to telling great stories and immersing our guests in family entertainment," said Tiffany Rende, senior vice president of Disney Corporate Alliances and Operating Participants. "Through this alliance, we are able to share more classic Disney stories with TCM audiences, while further enhancing the guest experience by showcasing TCM content and talent."

This marks an expansion of TCM's already robust relationship with the family entertainment and media enterprise. TCM set sail on its fourth TCM Classic Cruise in October 2014, the second aboard the Disney Cruise Line's Disney Magic. In addition, TCM has collaborated with Buena Vista Home Entertainment on various initiatives, including the 2008 documentary The Age of Believing: The Disney Live-Action Classics, which premiered in conjunction with a 25-movie showcase of family classics. The 2012 TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood featured a multi-film collection of Disney classics presented in collaboration with D23, The Official Disney Fan Club. And the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival featured the 50th Anniversary screening of one of Walt Disney's most successful films Mary Poppins (1964) at Disney's El Capitan Theatre.

image.thumb.jpg.f858409ddd931193b92436f6abceafcc.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/business/media/disney-pairs-up-with-turner-to-promote-shows-and-a-ride.html?smid=tw-share&_r=2

Disney Pairs Up With Turner to Promote Shows and a Ride

There is a saying in Hollywood, attributed to Katharine Hepburn, about why the pairing of Fred Astaire and Gingers Rogers worked so well: “He gave her class, and she gave him sex.” Two familiar names in entertainment that are teaming up for another pas de deux may not be Astaire and Rogers, but they are giving each other something each wants.

The Turner Classic Movies cable channel is joining with two divisions of the Walt Disney Company for an agreement, to be announced on Wednesday, that underlines how media giants are increasingly collaborating on content-marketing efforts.

TCM will help the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts division make changes to the Great Movie Ride, a long-running attraction at the Disney’s Hollywood Studios section of Disney World in Orlando, Fla.

In return, TCM will receive “Presented by” credits at the attraction on posters, banners, display windows, marquees and the like, which will also display the TCM logo.

In the other part of the deal, another Disney division, Walt Disney Studios, will provide TCM with vintage movies, cartoons, documentaries and episodes of TV series like “Disneyland” and “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color” for a periodic programming block on the channel under the banner of “Treasures From the Disney Vault.”

The block will be offered by TCM “roughly four to five times a year,” said Charlie Tabesh, senior vice president for programming and production of TCM.

“Disney films and other programming have been seen a little bit on TCM, but not much,” he added. “It will be exciting to dig into the vault and see classic Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, ‘The Wonderful World of Disney,’ ” he said.

The initial block of Disney programming by TCM is to run from 8 p.m., Eastern time, on Dec. 21 through 5:15 a.m. on Dec. 22. “It’s a Sunday night,” Mr. Tabesh said, “a perfect family night and getting close to Christmas.”

Among the nine scheduled items from the Disney archives are “Santa’s Workshop,” a 1932 cartoon; “The Disneyland Story,” in which Walt Disney himself describes in 1954 plans for the park named Disneyland that he opened in Anaheim, Calif., the next year; “Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier,” edited from episodes of a “Disneyland” serial about the frontiersman; and “The Vanishing Prairie,” a nature documentary.

The changes for the Disney World ride are scheduled to be introduced in the first quarter of 2015, perhaps in the early spring. What visitors see as they wait for the ride and watch as part of the finale will receive a reboot under the aegis of TCM, playing on its reputation as an expert in classic film.

Among the new elements will be a video featuring Robert Osborne, the host who has been the face of TCM since the channel began operations in 1994; he will identify himself as “from Turner Classic Movies.”

The idea is to “inject TCM brand authority” into the ride, said Pola Changnon, vice president for brand creative and on-air promotions at TCM, and “pique the curiosity” of visitors, encouraging them to explore the world of classic film once they are home.

TCM is part of the Turner Entertainment Networks division of Turner Broadcasting System, which is owned by Time Warner. The agreement between TCM and the Disney divisions, for undisclosed terms, expands upon a relationship between TCM and various parts of Disney.

For instance, the fourth TCM Classic Cruise, held last month, was the second aboard the Disney Cruise Line ship called Disney Magic. And a highlight of the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival, held in April, was a 50th anniversary screening of the Disney Studios movie “Mary Poppins” at El Capitan Theater, which is owned by Disney.

“We’re looking at this as a strategic alliance that brings together two very strong brands, both with a core in the business of entertainment,” said Carlos Castro, vice president for corporate alliances of Disney, “and complements Disney’s commitment to great storytelling and delivering quality family entertainment.”

“Part of our process in vetting all our partners is making sure their brands align with the Disney brand,” Mr. Castro added, “and both brands are a natural fit.” The TV initiative “lets us share more classic Disney stories with TCM audiences,” he said, and “the refresh of the Great Movie Ride” will “enhance the guest experience by showcasing TCM content and talent.”

Jennifer Dorian, general manager of TCM, echoed Mr. Castro in describing the “multifaceted creative collaboration” called for under the new agreement as “truly a natural fit.” That is important in content marketing, she said, lest TCM viewers and Disney World guests deem the partnership inauthentic.

Disney World, Disneyland and El Capitan are examples of what is known as experiential marketing, which gives consumers a chance to experience brands in tangible form. TCM has been delving into experiential marketing with steps that include, in addition to the cruises and film festivals, guided tours with classic-movies themes in Los Angeles and New York; auctions of film memorabilia by Bonhams that are “presented by TCM”; and annual screenings of “Miracle on 34th Street” outside the Macy’s Herald Square store that is key to the movie’s plot.

According to TCM executives, the agreement began with an administrative assistant, Amanda Tymeson, who returned from a visit to Disney World and suggested “that TCM and Disney would be great partners” in revamping the Great Movie Ride, Ms. Dorian said. Ms. Tymeson has since been promoted.

Edited by jedimaster1227