TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Also Fury325 is the worst coaster name I know.

Fury in itself is a good name, but the 325 makes it a little cheesy. I don't like Cedar Fair's trend of incorporating ride height into the name. I can't figure out if all of the aspects of this hobby keep getting cheesier and younger, or if I'm just getting older.

I don't personally have any problem with it. I would be fine with or without it.

At least they didn't tack on the numbers in Dragtser's name

Has anybody ever driven from Kings Island area to Carowinds? It was suggested to me, but it sounds rather insane.

That has to be around 10-12 hours, or something like that. But you could stop at some other parks on the way there or back (KK, HW, Dollywood).

Nope... only 7 1/2 hours.

I don't get why more people don't take long road trips. We do it all the time, really just about every weekend. They're not expensive and sometimes the journey can be just as much fun as the destination. This incredibly scenic drive is a perfect example. I hate to get all philosophical here but life is too short not to do something because of a 7 hour drive. With a car you can be in a totally different part of the country seeing a ton of cool stuff in less time than a standard work-day. How cool is that? Just get in the car and go... you won't regret it and once you start making long road trips they become routine and you won't be able to stop making them. It's addicting.

I don't get why more people don't take long road trips. We do it all the time, really just about every weekend. They're not expensive and sometimes the journey can be just as much fun as the destination. This incredibly scenic drive is a perfect example. I hate to get all philosophical here but life is too short not to do something because of a 7 hour drive. With a car you can be in a totally different part of the country seeing a ton of cool stuff in less time than a standard work-day. How cool is that? Just get in the car and go... you won't regret it and once you start making long road trips they become routine and you won't be able to stop making them. It's addicting.

I agree, I drove from Cleveland to Kings Dominion about 7 1/2 hours and it was completely worth it, with some good music to listen to and the scenery you pass time can fly by. Now with Fury 325 being built Carowinds is a very possible park I might take a road trip to next year.

If my wife and I drive over 5 or 6 hours to go to a park, we incorporate it into a vacation to make it worth it. When we went to Carowinds two years ago we made it a one day stop on the way to Hilton Head Island. Otherwise I won't drive all that distance for just one park, which is why I find a way to incorporate a new park in most of our vacations.

For the previous poster who said it was not expensive, that's true, but it's not that cheap. For us to visit KI or another 6 or so hour away park you have to factor in food, hotel, gas, admission prices, fast lane (inevitably), and any extras. You could go completely cheap if you wanted to, but the costs add up quick. Our combined Midwestern salary clears six figures, but it's still no cost to ignore, if you're responsible. It would be much more difficult for a teenager to come up with that kind of money. It does however get significantly cheaper when splitting the costs with a non house hold member. (half price to be exact...) Which is why it's always better to leave the wife at home... always.

^My trip next year will most likely be with my best friend, but will still be expensive. With fuel, food and hotel, the cost adds up quick. And with me driving my diesel to all those places getting around 17-18mpg, it gets even more expensive. A fast week plus trip to CP, KI, HW and KK, Dollywood, Carowinds, and KD is going to cost about 450 in fuel, a grand in hotels, and around 400 in tickets. And that doesn't include food or FastPass (if need be). I totally understand.

^My trip next year will most likely be with my best friend, but will still be expensive. With fuel, food and hotel, the cost adds up quick. And with me driving my diesel to all those places getting around 17-18mpg, it gets even more expensive. A fast week plus trip to CP, KI, HW and KK, Dollywood, Carowinds, and KD is going to cost about 450 in fuel, a grand in hotels, and around 400 in tickets. And that doesn't include food or FastPass (if need be). I totally understand.

That's quite a trip! I'm planning to fly to see the NASCAR race in late May and visit Carowinds to see Fury 325. In June I have a fly to Washington D.C. and drive to King's Dominion, CP, Canada's Wonderland, and King's Island trip planned over a week. Gonna be costly, but hey, when all you like to travel for is riding roller coasters, it's easy to save money lol

I'm so excited I can say I have ridden both B&M Giga Coasters in their first seasons!! This thing is looking great, and with such a tall ride, the bottom lime green is really going to stick out all over the park... I can not wait to see this thing pierce the skyline!!

Nice!

Just one thing: I know this isn't a big deal but why do almost all of the B&Ms which have a lift with catwalks on only one side have that netting? Will you be able to go under Fury's lift? If not it doesn't make much sense, right? It doesn't make a huge difference but I would rather not have them when I am riding on that side of the car and look down.

Nice!

Just one thing: I know this isn't a big deal but why do almost all of the B&Ms which have a lift with catwalks on only one side have that netting? Will you be able to go under Fury's lift? If not it doesn't make much sense, right? It doesn't make a huge difference but I would rather not have them when I am riding on that side of the car and look down.

They are most likely required for safety of guests during an evacuation. I am aware that the Intamin gigas don't have them but I'd guess B&M does this as a preventative measure. It's a relatively low cost life safety device so it only makes sense.

The webcams are now live! Between Thunderbird and Fury325 I just don't know which one to watch! Oh well, I'll be looking back and forth between the two coasters!

https://www.carowinds.com/online-fun/webcams

live video: http://pixelcaster.com/live/carowinds/camera1.html

live video: video: http://pixelcaster.com/live/carowinds/camera2.html

Of course I know it will, but from this angle it just doesn't seem like the lift and the drop will line up! How exciting it must be for those who call this their home park. Totally envious!

While I haven't ridden Leviathan yet, I like the look and feel of F325 better.

Edit: biggest crane is now vertical, wonder if we'll see more lift hill today?

image.thumb.jpg.feecc0f26142b12c36c02e5e2db2a3ba.jpg