Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 984: Boogie Board Racer & Grand Carnivale announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby Password121 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:30 am

prozach626 wrote:
nicman wrote:Also Fury325 is the worst coaster name I know.

Fury in itself is a good name, but the 325 makes it a little cheesy. I don't like Cedar Fair's trend of incorporating ride height into the name. I can't figure out if all of the aspects of this hobby keep getting cheesier and younger, or if I'm just getting older.

I don't personally have any problem with it. I would be fine with or without it.

At least they didn't tack on the numbers in Dragtser's name :P
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:32 am

hey...hey wrote:
PeoplemoverMatt wrote:Has anybody ever driven from Kings Island area to Carowinds? It was suggested to me, but it sounds rather insane.

That has to be around 10-12 hours, or something like that. But you could stop at some other parks on the way there or back (KK, HW, Dollywood).

Nope... only 7 1/2 hours.

I don't get why more people don't take long road trips. We do it all the time, really just about every weekend. They're not expensive and sometimes the journey can be just as much fun as the destination. This incredibly scenic drive is a perfect example. I hate to get all philosophical here but life is too short not to do something because of a 7 hour drive. With a car you can be in a totally different part of the country seeing a ton of cool stuff in less time than a standard work-day. How cool is that? Just get in the car and go... you won't regret it and once you start making long road trips they become routine and you won't be able to stop making them. It's addicting.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby JRice92 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:54 pm

coasterbill wrote:
I don't get why more people don't take long road trips. We do it all the time, really just about every weekend. They're not expensive and sometimes the journey can be just as much fun as the destination. This incredibly scenic drive is a perfect example. I hate to get all philosophical here but life is too short not to do something because of a 7 hour drive. With a car you can be in a totally different part of the country seeing a ton of cool stuff in less time than a standard work-day. How cool is that? Just get in the car and go... you won't regret it and once you start making long road trips they become routine and you won't be able to stop making them. It's addicting.

I agree, I drove from Cleveland to Kings Dominion about 7 1/2 hours and it was completely worth it, with some good music to listen to and the scenery you pass time can fly by. Now with Fury 325 being built Carowinds is a very possible park I might take a road trip to next year.
2015 Ride Host - Millennium Force
2016 Team Leader - Millennium Force
2017 Ride Supervisor - Valravn
2018 Ride Supervisor - Top Thrill Dragster

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:14 pm

I have to agree. It took me about 9 - 9.5 hours from Cleveland to Carowinds but you drove through some of the most scenic areas of West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:21 pm

If my wife and I drive over 5 or 6 hours to go to a park, we incorporate it into a vacation to make it worth it. When we went to Carowinds two years ago we made it a one day stop on the way to Hilton Head Island. Otherwise I won't drive all that distance for just one park, which is why I find a way to incorporate a new park in most of our vacations.

For the previous poster who said it was not expensive, that's true, but it's not that cheap. For us to visit KI or another 6 or so hour away park you have to factor in food, hotel, gas, admission prices, fast lane (inevitably), and any extras. You could go completely cheap if you wanted to, but the costs add up quick. Our combined Midwestern salary clears six figures, but it's still no cost to ignore, if you're responsible. It would be much more difficult for a teenager to come up with that kind of money. It does however get significantly cheaper when splitting the costs with a non house hold member. (half price to be exact...) Which is why it's always better to leave the wife at home... always.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby hey...hey » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:05 pm

^My trip next year will most likely be with my best friend, but will still be expensive. With fuel, food and hotel, the cost adds up quick. And with me driving my diesel to all those places getting around 17-18mpg, it gets even more expensive. A fast week plus trip to CP, KI, HW and KK, Dollywood, Carowinds, and KD is going to cost about 450 in fuel, a grand in hotels, and around 400 in tickets. And that doesn't include food or FastPass (if need be). I totally understand.
Coaster Count: Steel-55 Wood-13 Total-68

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Texascoaster89 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:05 pm

hey...hey wrote:^My trip next year will most likely be with my best friend, but will still be expensive. With fuel, food and hotel, the cost adds up quick. And with me driving my diesel to all those places getting around 17-18mpg, it gets even more expensive. A fast week plus trip to CP, KI, HW and KK, Dollywood, Carowinds, and KD is going to cost about 450 in fuel, a grand in hotels, and around 400 in tickets. And that doesn't include food or FastPass (if need be). I totally understand.

That's quite a trip! I'm planning to fly to see the NASCAR race in late May and visit Carowinds to see Fury 325. In June I have a fly to Washington D.C. and drive to King's Dominion, CP, Canada's Wonderland, and King's Island trip planned over a week. Gonna be costly, but hey, when all you like to travel for is riding roller coasters, it's easy to save money lol

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby chknwing » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:52 am

Picture from Mosley Erecting Face Book page
Last edited by chknwing on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:55 pm.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby hey...hey » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:17 am

^Now we are talking.
Coaster Count: Steel-55 Wood-13 Total-68

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby MagnumFreak25 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:33 am

That looks so amazing. I really hope I can get down there in 2015.
Top 10:
El Toro, Boulder Dash, Magnum, Phantom, Maverick, Goliath (SFOG), Millenium, Nitro, Dragster, Storm Runner

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!