TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

Gröna Lund is hinting at a new ridefor next year, so far these two pictures have been posted on the parks facebook-site.

540375_10152335396030667_5742941582781538009_n.jpg?oh=69655f0072fccda733df4c358077c192&oe=54EA1709&__gda__=1420787121_f77a9d6740179b63df5161418baa6564

Peter is the name of the ride manager at Gröna Lund.

And yesterday this picture was posted.

10624999_10152337539455667_2990242487210942815_n.jpg?oh=a703ed830783fe5d743d7dc01ae7c5ea&oe=54AD205C&__gda__=1420444849_d9ffb5d066a876a8b02c125afff6cfc1

Apparently the new ride will be unveiled on Thursday next week.

^^ Well, that second photo shows what's called a Spirit Catcher.

Not sure if it's for the good ones...or the bad ones.

EDIT to add: Maybe that's what it's name might be, hmm?

Edited by Nrthwnd

I have no idea if this is true or if it was just a myth but I'm sure I remember seeing something here about an old plan for a B&M inverted coaster.

Was this actually real at some point?

A few years ago Grona Lund was trying to purchase an adjacent piece of property for additional coasters, the park owners shared this with TPR during the first Scandi trip. However, I beleive the acquisition or plans were blocked by the locals.

I have no idea if this is true or if it was just a myth but I'm sure I remember seeing something here about an old plan for a B&M inverted coaster.

Was this actually real at some point?

A few years ago Grona Lund was trying to purchase an adjacent piece of property for additional coasters, the park owners shared this with TPR during the first Scandi trip. However, I beleive the acquisition or plans were blocked by the locals.

Actually, Gröna Lund owns that property, however due to the legislation here in Sweden they were not granted a building permit for rides on it. I think the latest rumour is that they will build something that may be used all year around on that property.

Sidestory:

Until 1957 there was a competing park on that property called "Nöjesfältet" (The Amusement Park). Both parks were family run and the competition was really fierce, at one point the owners of Nöjesfältet decided to put a dead horse in front of Gröna lund's entrance! During WW2 the son of the owners of Nöjsesfältet and Gröna Lunds owners daughter fell in love and in the end they got married and both started to work at Gröna Lund.

I found a picture showing Nöjesfältet in 1936 on Wikipedia.

As can be seen, they even had a coaster!

Back to the upcomming 2015 addition, Gröna Lund has posted two new pictures that makes absolutely no sense to me, but maybe to you?

10702190_10152339012955667_4393980028574099229_n.jpg?oh=2492b092cccecc682f6b5aa14e65e63f&oe=54AA5F60

The text seems to be some sort of coding and a "scene 5", whatever that is.

10712718_10152340527405667_6547890521812414466_n.jpg?oh=6da9d2d4d75c4cb6cf69d22434d1fd7f&oe=54F77802

Maybe some future clues will be able to provide some actual....clues.

Yes, pretty much, the city wanted it to happen.

It's nice that we residents have a pretty big say in projects here in Sweden, but very often, like here (and when they are trying to build something new and out of the box) it's just annoying!

Oh well...for now, it looks like Grona Lund will just have to keep building on top of itself. Can't wait to see what they have to do to get this new attraction to fit in!

It's surprising to me that, based on their ability to add the extra pier with the restaurant, they have only two rides out on piers. Unless it takes up prime boat-docking space, they could easily fit several more flat rides along the boardwalk with new piers.

It would be possible to either expand the haunted house or build a new attraction next to it. The building to the right of Spökhuset used to be "the games house", filled with amusement machines, pinball machines etc. My god, I spent sooooo much money in there when I was a kid...

Sinne that closed down, I think it has been used as locker rooms for park staff, but I guess you would like to use such a central spot in your park for something public.

However, I would find it strange to build a second scare attraction (or third, if you count the Ghost Train Blå Tåget). So my guess is a complete make over and expansion for the Haunted House (Spökhuset).

Hey, I actually guessed right this time (it was pretty easy this time though)! It is a replacment for the haunted house and it will be called, as revealed in the anagram, House of Nightmares. It will be made by Sally, which is totally awesome!

You are standing in front of a desolate and abandoned house. No one knows what is waiting inside, but one thing is certain – something evil is lurking in the dark. The nightmare experiments once conducted by the legendary Dr. Morphio have come to life and roam the hallways and rooms of the house. Do you dare step into Dr. Morphio’s House of Nightmares and face your worst nightmares?

In April 2015, the worst horror experiences of its kind opens at Gröna Lund. It will be a new haunted house where visitors themselves pass through the old dark house where horrific nightmares await.

The attraction has been developed together with the amusement park industry’s leading creator of special effects and animatronics, the Sally Corporation (USA), which has developed similar attractions at amusement parks around the world for over 35 years.

Exactly what visitors will find in the house’s various rooms will not be revealed. If you want to know, you simply need the courage to step into the house. Welcome!

THE STORY OF DR. MORPHIO’S HOUSE OF NIGHTMARES

Our dark story begins in 1953 in New Orleans, Louisiana (USA), where the noted scientist Dr. Morphio was conducting research into the human subconscious and the nature of dreams. It was at a time when television began to take its obvious place in people's living rooms and Dr. Morhpio was already far ahead of his time. He created a television program called Dreamland, in which he interpreted his guests' dreams...and nightmares.

The program was very popular and Dr. Morphio quickly became a well-known and respected television personality. But when he was at the peak of his career came the revelation that shocked everyone. It turned out that his research was profoundly unethical, illegal and inhumane. He had conducted experiments on human subjects where with forcible and brutal methods he tried to extract the dreams from their consciousness in order to bring them to life.

Dr. Morphio fled from the outraged American population and retreated to a secluded old house near the Stockholm harbor. Unfazed by criticism, he continued his controversial and dangerous experiments hidden behind the house’s facade. He documented everything on video, and it was rumored that he actually managed to create living beings out of his patients' worst nightmares. A couple of years ago, a documentary film team, hoping to learn the truth about Dr. Morphio and his terrible experiments, arrived at his secluded house. But the doctor had vanished without a trace. Instead, the team found something truly horrific. The rumors were true. The nightmares that the doctor had succeeded in bringing to life were still lurking in the dark, infesting the house’s rooms and hallways.

What happened to Dr. Morphio remains a mystery, but his house is still standing. No one knows what is waiting in there. Are you ready to come face-to-face with your worst nightmares? But be careful – the living nightmares might follow you home and invade your dreams...you may never sleep again!

Gröna Lund homepage info