TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

In response to other comments, yes I knew that Family Kingdom was there and it is a nice park but you hear little about it other than while staying there. Maybe that's all it needs to keep open, especially now it has no competition.

As for lumping together Pavilion and Freestyle, the reason I did wasn't to say that the circumstances were similar but that the fact that two big magnets to attract people to Myrtle Beach are gone. Yes the financial times and lucrative real estate of ocean front property contributed to it in a major way and for Freestyle it was poor planning. I really don't think though that there should be anymore attempts of making a major amusement park or theme park there, not when Myrtle Beach is trying to figure out their next stage in how they offer tourism and not when it seems that it is not a destination like California or Orlando is for amusement parks.

How much is Time Machine?

I'll buy it, the layouts not bad.

And I can use the speakers to whisper profanities in peoples ears.

It got removed recently from ITAL website so it got sold but it might've been around 1 million USD or something like that.

Did you mean $11 million USD? 1 million seems a little low for a B&M.

Yes thanks i fixed it now

As for lumping together Pavilion and Freestyle, the reason I did wasn't to say that the circumstances were similar but that the fact that two big magnets to attract people to Myrtle Beach are gone. Yes the financial times and lucrative real estate of ocean front property contributed to it in a major way and for Freestyle it was poor planning. I really don't think though that there should be anymore attempts of making a major amusement park or theme park there, not when Myrtle Beach is trying to figure out their next stage in how they offer tourism and not when it seems that it is not a destination like California or Orlando is for amusement parks.

There's a multitude of much larger seaside resorts in the US which are most assuredly not Anaheim or Orlando which have had increases and decreases in the number of amusement facilities throughout time. Just because Hard Rock Park didn't pan out doesn't mean a boardwalk style park near the beach (which is what Hard Rock Park most certainly wasn't) should perhaps couldn't be conceived or be successful. Pavilion was such a thing and would still be alive if not entirely for the real estate bubble pushing up prices. Again: it had nothing to do with an overserved or non-viable market, which if probably why there's a brokeass version of Pavilion in existence now and has been one for several years.

^Ahem... When did Family Kingdom fall into the ocean? I think that everyone in this thread has completely forgotten that Myrtle still has a kicka$$ (And financially stable) park.

Family Kingdom is NOT a kicka$$ park.

Well I mean its not in the same level as any major amusement park, but I've been going there for years and I've only had good experiences... The staff are friendly, the rides are pretty good (Swamp Fox especially) and the water park is really good for a park of its size. So while it might not be the most amazing park in the nation you're pretty much guaranteed to have a good (and not too crowded) time whenever you choose to go...

^Ahem... When did Family Kingdom fall into the ocean? I think that everyone in this thread has completely forgotten that Myrtle still has a kicka$$ (And financially stable) park.

Well I mean its not in the same level as any major amusement park, but I've been going there for years and I've only had good experiences... The staff are friendly, the rides are pretty good (Swamp Fox especially) and the water park is really good for a park of its size. So while it might not be the most amazing park in the nation you're pretty much guaranteed to have a good (and not too crowded) time whenever you choose to go...

I guess if I enjoyed Swamp Fox I would feel differently about the park, but Swamp Fox did not impress me on my two visits to Myrtle Beach.

I guess if I enjoyed Swamp Fox I would feel differently about the park, but Swamp Fox did not impress me on my two visits to Myrtle Beach.

Swamp Fox can be very hit or miss later in the season, but on opening day, after the off-season maintenance its probably one of the best coasters built pre-1970

Honestly, the Pavilion is what made Myrtle Beach. It was THE premier place for M.B. & when they took it down instead of renovating it & adding to it, M.B. overall went downhill. It honestly looks like a waste to me.

As I said earlier, this town is more about the beach and golf courses. That being said, I don't plan to be spending any time there, as neither interests me all that much.

• 1 month later...

http://www.screamscape.com/html/usa_news.htm#SouthCarolina

The demolition of the former Hard Rock Park / Freestyle Music Park continues it seems… even now that the rides and coasters have all been taken down, it seems the whole rumored “kitchen sink” mentality is holding true, as crews have been removing the metal framework, plumbing and any other source of value from the various buildings themselves now. As of the latest report the former Roadies Stunt Show arena structure is gone along with the Rockabilly BBQ and now the old Ice House Theater has been ripped wide open and is looking at pending demolition. It is so sad that once these guys are done, that there really wont be much left behind to ever identify that Hard Rock Park ever existed on this Earth.

2014_1209_HRP-IceTheater.jpg.74c51454a32c4095dc8ff6116b582d5e.jpg

It is so sad that once these guys are done, that there really wont be much left behind to ever identify that Hard Rock Park ever existed on this Earth.

I'm of the opinion that this is a GOOD thing!

Edited by robbalvey

Best to remove those buildings, rather to let them sit there and decay.

Farewell, Hard Rock Freestyle Music Park. Long may you linger in the memories of the, oh, dozens of guests who visited you.