TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

I'm very happy to see them close the backlot tour. It changed so many times over the year. Maybe now they will just drop the whole studios nonsense. Now if we can get the car show out, we would have plenty of space for new lands. Why didn't anyway go crazy about this ride closing like they did over the boat ride?

Pixar: Walle, Up, Incredibles are three great IP's that have not been used as major attractions.

LucasFilm: Obviously Star Wars and there can always be more done with Indy.

Live Action: Tron is a big property that can be used.

I personally wouldn't used Marvel in DHS (of course they cant use them until Universal gives them up). I would save the Marvel Cinematic Universe for a 5th gate.

I would love an Incredibles ride. Would be perfect with the sequel coming out in a few years! I already kind of assume that we'll get some sort of iteration of the Monsters Inc dark-ride.

I would personally love a Tron attraction, but seeing as the sequel hasn't been greenlit and nothing has been said in a while, I doubt that's gonna happen. Maybe an upgraded version of the Indy ride at Disneyland could find it's way to Florida too.

Also, agree on the 5th gate.

I'm glad I got to virtually experience the Backlot Tour via TPR video. Outside of Catastrophe Canyon and a few props, there isn't anything noteworthy on the tour. Disney knew they were never going to beat Universal at the Backlot Tour, so they might as well allocate that space for far superior future attractions. Personally, I'm hoping for a Star Wars Land/World/Universe.

I noticed the trams were advertising a Disney Channel Music Awards for April. Was this video from back then or did they not bother to change the advertisement (probably due to low ridership)?

I'm very happy to see them close the backlot tour. It changed so many times over the year. Maybe now they will just drop the whole studios nonsense. Now if we can get the car show out, we would have plenty of space for new lands. Why didn't anyway go crazy about this ride closing like they did over the boat ride?

A Backlot Tour is not a requirement for a park to call itself a "studios" park. Just look at Universal Studios down the road. What actual studios are there? None. But there is a heavy emphasis on immersive movie-based themes and small look-in's at the movie making process. I'd say DHS still fits that very well with its shows and attractions outside the Backlot Tour. Adding Cars Land, Marvel, Star Wars or whatever other IP they choose would still fit the "Studios" park idea very well.

Pixar: Walle, Up, Incredibles are three great IP's that have not been used as major attractions.

LucasFilm: Obviously Star Wars and there can always be more done with Indy.

Live Action: Tron is a big property that can be used.

I personally wouldn't used Marvel in DHS (of course they cant use them until Universal gives them up). I would save the Marvel Cinematic Universe for a 5th gate.

I would love an Incredibles ride. Would be perfect with the sequel coming out in a few years! I already kind of assume that we'll get some sort of iteration of the Monsters Inc dark-ride.

I would personally love a Tron attraction, but seeing as the sequel hasn't been greenlit and nothing has been said in a while, I doubt that's gonna happen. Maybe an upgraded version of the Indy ride at Disneyland could find it's way to Florida too.

Also, agree on the 5th gate.

The TRON ride in Shanghai appears to already have the green light, so TRON at DHS wouldn't be that far-fetched. But a Star Wars Land or Cars Land would be a big hit for DHS.

I'm so happy that they extended the Frozen Summer Fun event so that we got to experience it during our visit in September. Off the three fireworks shows we saw at Disney, the other two being at Magic Kingdom and EPCOT, this one at Hollywood Studios was easily my favorite. I thought the combination of stage show, music and fireworks worked perfectly!

Here is my video of the show.

I was watching the new episode of Star Wars Rebels last night (they don't call me "jedimaster1227" for no reason) and was pleasantly surprised to find a piece of Hollywood Studios history onscreen! Captain Rex from the original Star Tours makes an appearance on the show, and is even voiced by Paul Reubens, the original voice of the character! Just a fun tidbit for those Star Wars/Disney fans out there!

IMG_0815.thumb.jpg.9fddee617d164ddb1b460061ad1c0702.jpg

If peeps haven't heard, Toy Story Mania is currently testing as the first Fastpass+ only attraction. Just evolution, Man.

As long as they are strict on the return times, this is probably the wave of the future. Standby lines to fill in those who don't make it on time. Wait time is always the #1 dissatisfaction item, no matter how good a ride is.

They've been testing this around the resort for weeks now. Frozen Meet and Greet, Soarin, Anna and Elsa over at DLR even. Disney has tested tons of things over the years, some were adopted, some were modified heavily and some were never heard from again. I wouldn't freak out or read too much into any of this right now.

As the resorts sit right now, I dint see this being on all rides. There would be too many people walking around the park at one time. Remember, those hour plus lines hold a lot of people! If all those lines were physically eliminated, the walk ways would be over crowded with people waiting for their return times.

They've been testing this around the resort for weeks now. Frozen Meet and Greet, Soarin, Anna and Elsa over at DLR even. Disney has tested tons of things over the years, some were adopted, some were modified heavily and some were never heard from again. I wouldn't freak out or read too much into any of this right now.

Some Korean parks have been running a similar system for a while now especially Everland. T-Express is reservation only during holidays and weekends from opening to 3pm, the busy hours to keep the line around 30-60mins although people never read the map to see that there are multiple ticket booths so end up waiting only at T Expresses ticket office for 50 minutes for the fast pass and then another 50 in-line. And the flume ride standby line shuts the second it hits an hour and fast-passes are handed out starting an hour from the shut down point with return times until all the tickets are gone.

I believe they also run this system for the bigger flume rides now in Caribbean Bay, you have to get there early to reserve when you can come back and ride. Lotte World are also using it for their new childs flume ride but I'm not sure if they've removed it now the opening has passed, i'll check on my next visit. Everland's have been permanant for the past year though. Didn't Alton Towers also convert one of their rides in Cbeebies land into reservation only due to crowds? I think I made a topic ages ago asking if fast-pass only rides would be the future of theme parks lol.

I just kind of assumed they were testing it out on Midway Mania because it's got to have the most brutal line in the entire Resort. If they're really considering a third/fourth track, it could always just be a temporary solution to keep guests a) happily not in line and b) happily buying things while they're not in line.

^The longest line in Walt Disney World is typically for meeting Anna and Elsa at Princess Fairytale Hall in the Magic Kingdom. Toy Story Mania and Soarin' are both up there in the higher-wait time echelon with them, but you can seriously see waits of 180 minutes and more for the princess meet & greet.