TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hi...as I have mentioned in a couple of other threads we are planning a family holiday to the USA around February/March next year. SFMM is on the cards to visit and it appears likely to be Saturday Feb 28th will be the day for SFMM. In another thread it was recommended we get a gold Flash Pass each. Given that it is effectively going to double our admission cost do you think it is worth the extra money around that time of year?

Thanks,

Corey

^ On IRaT the magnetic, non-block brake is at a steep angle like that, so I would assume a steep brake run on another RMC would act similarly, and not be a block. But then at the same time TC's steep brake run looks to go right into the station from the angle the picture was taken from. So either stacked trains will wait awkwardly at an angle if that is a block, or this is gonna have a really screwy block system... Or the angle of photography could just be screwing with me.

It 100% has to be a block brake in order to run 3 trains.

Speaking of block brakes, I was thinking about it, and I came up with this.

Since there is no block brake on the blue track (between the blue and green lift hill), doesn't the green lift hill train have to release first, that way in case there is an E-stop, two trains won't occupy the green lift? Sorry if this is confusing, but hopefully someone sees what I'm going at.

Hi...as I have mentioned in a couple of other threads we are planning a family holiday to the USA around February/March next year. SFMM is on the cards to visit and it appears likely to be Saturday Feb 28th will be the day for SFMM. In another thread it was recommended we get a gold Flash Pass each. Given that it is effectively going to double our admission cost do you think it is worth the extra money around that time of year?

Thanks,

Corey

Though Saturdays are usually the busiest day of the week, February is not an especially busy time of year (most parks arent even open) so you may not need it. Don't buy your Flash Passes ahead of time, just be prepared to buy one at the park if it turns out to be especially busy.

It 100% has to be a block brake in order to run 3 trains.

Speaking of block brakes, I was thinking about it, and I came up with this.

Since there is no block brake on the blue track (between the blue and green lift hill), doesn't the green lift hill train have to release first, that way in case there is an E-stop, two trains won't occupy the green lift? Sorry if this is confusing, but hopefully someone sees what I'm going at.

I agree 100% that the green lift would have to release first. However if you look at the promotional video, all of the clips show the blue track going over the lift first. Maybe there is a block that we do not know about yet.

1. A lift hill already counts as a block. So, there really is a block in the middle of the coaster, it is just in the form of a second lift hill. (The Beast uses a system like this, also)

2. If there were an extra block, there is no way they would run more trains to make it worth having. This makes me wonder why so many Six Flags coasters even have MCBR's, considering that they have no practical uses with the amount of trains they run.

Maybe there is a block that we do not know about yet.

They could always flatten out one of those 18 moments of airitme and put a block on it to run more trains...

...Or maybe there is a block section before or after the station (after = IE: SheiKra style) that we have not seen in any of the promotional videos.

I went tonight, should have been there much earlier but was waiting for my friend. Not sure what the hell she was doing and got there after sundown. so, barely was able to see anything. but yeah, barely was able to see one section going up the lift now. totally could not see the green return track. with them turning off most of the coaster lighting for fright fest, the goliath area is pretty dark when you should be able to see the colossus track.

i did for fun take a video while waiting for yolo. the recorded announcement tells you to leave the lap bar up, as well as the ride operators, until they lower it for you. so, yeah, the policy is still to leave it up. which has always been my experience since they started. they took 2 minutes to launch a train from when the train reaches the station. it takes roughly 25 seconds for the train to go from block brake to station. i was a bit surprised it was only 2 minutes. so hopefully, with more employees, they can make the 90 seconds supposedly needed to dual twisted colossus work.

While RMC works fast, I don't know what Six Flags is smoking that made them think it'd be open by spring.

At the rate they're going right now that doesn't seem far fetched at all. I've been really surprised with how fast work has been done so far compared to past SFMM projects.

yeah, i think they are kickin ass so far. a lot done in a roughly a month, imo. i'd guess the goal is before memorial day, so that's a long time away. really no weather to contend with, i have the highest hopes for this coaster opening on schedule.

i'm interested what's going to happen in that area that they chopped all the trees down. i'd guess some buildings or something might show up. what other reason would they cut trees?

Just got a really good look at that angled green section of track from Screams lift hill. It goes flat right at the old transfer track section of Collosus. Which means plenty of room for a block section before the station.

Don't buy your Flash Passes ahead of time, just be prepared to buy one at the park if it turns out to be especially busy.

How can I judge what constitutes busy on the day? Can the Flash Pass be bought once you are in the park? Do they ever sell out?

Thanks

While RMC works fast, I don't know what Six Flags is smoking that made them think it'd be open by spring.

I think this time around the ride should be open in spring. I don't know why you're thinking it won't.

Six Flags magic Mountain has a reputation to uphold for delaying openings. Not a good reputation, but a reputation nonetheless.

But RMC is doing fantastic work and i think it'll actually be open on time. possibly even before hand.

I think this time around the ride should be open in spring. I don't know why you're thinking it won't.

Six Flags magic Mountain has a reputation to uphold for delaying openings. Not a good reputation, but a reputation nonetheless.

But RMC is doing fantastic work and i think it'll actually be open on time. possibly even before hand.

I know they do. But RMC is doing a great job so far as you said.

^ Maybe setting Colossus on fire was Magic Mountain's attempt at assuring a late opening.

But even that isn't slowing RMC down. They already got replacement wood on site and are doing business as usual. And when construction slows down on Wildfire once winter hits, Colossus may get even more manpower working on it.

Don't buy your Flash Passes ahead of time, just be prepared to buy one at the park if it turns out to be especially busy.

How can I judge what constitutes busy on the day? Can the Flash Pass be bought once you are in the park? Do they ever sell out?

Thanks

Sell outs are very very rare. Only on the absolute busiest of days might that happen..I've been there on some pretty busy days and all three flash passes were available.

You can definitely buy them in the park. With the exception of the one time a friend convinced me to go on the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend when I knew it would be a mad house and bought ahead of time, every other time I've bought mine in the park.

The Flash Pass office is inside the gates (behind Flags and the Carousel). In February you guys should be fine unless they schedule an event that day or something. School is in, Twisted Colossus won't be finished yet, weather is likely to be imperfect..everything you could want for a slow day. If you were going any day of the week other than Saturday I'd guarantee it'd be totally dead. Even still it shouldn't be bad.