Photo TR: Mini New Hotness/East Coast Trip

UPDATE: Scott's Pizza Tour!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Photo TR: Mini New Hotness/East Coast Trip

Postby PrismTx » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:16 pm

Those basically remind me of those little fried balls of dough or biscuits that you find in many asian buffets, deep fried and coated in sugar I believe.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:21 pm

Okay, I get it. But why "redneck"?
Sorry, but that's really why I asked.
Why not call it a "redneck donut" then?

Still curious here. :)

"Driving Everybody Nuts Since 1975!"
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:39 am

^As for "redneck," I have no idea. But I can tell you that it's a deep-fried biscuit. You just can't question the logic of "fair food." ;)

Moving right along . . .

Day 6: A True "Six Flags Day" at Great America

Back in 2010, Six Flags Great America lived up to the third word in its name. The park welcomed TPR with open arms, plenty of ERT, and some nice backstage tours. Everybody had a great time.

What a difference four years makes. No tours. No ERT. Slow operations. The park seemed to be suffering from some sort of malaise. For example, Viper was amazing back in 2010 and made my top-ten wooden coasters list; this year, it just sort of meandered through its course, following a majestic four-or-five-minute dispatch time per train. For me, a once great woodie had become, at best, mediocre. (Our ERT on Viper in 2010 was excellent.)

But lest I be accused of focusing on the negative, Goliath is a very good coaster that any park would be happy to have. While it's not on the level of New Texas Giant (very few coasters are), it's definitely a top ride. I particularly like the "hang time" in the inversions and the crazy initial drop. I haven't been on Outlaw Run, by the way.

X-Flight, the park's B&M Wing coaster, was OK, at best. I do prefer it to Gatekeeper at Cedar Point, but I still think Dollywood's Wild Eagle is the best of these rides in the U.S.

Robb and Elissa made sure that everybody had Q-bots so they could get the best out of a very busy park that day. And with the operations here, Q-Bots are a must.

Here's a look at our "Six Flags Day."
001.jpg
"OK, where's that David punk? After I suqash him, we are gonna partay like Philistines in Jerusalem tonight!"
002.jpg
If this were sponsored by the Rolling Stones, it would be perfect. It also sums up the reactions of many enthusiasts to the announcement of any RMC ride.
003.jpg
Russell Crowe had to follow the exact same rules in "Gladiator."
004.jpg
Those who attempt to board out of order forfeit all honor and will be fed to the lions. They left that rule out.
004a.jpg
Stay classy.
005.jpg
Bah! Real gladiators would return stained by the blood of their enemies!
006.jpg
Seriously, folks, this is a very good ride.
007.jpg
This is RMC's patented "Relieve Riders of Loose Change" element.
008.jpg
X-Flight does look good--I'll grant it that. But it just sort of "meanders," when it should "soar."
009.jpg
Better than Gatekeeper, not as much fun as Wild Eagle.
010.jpg
If it's neither beer nor booze, what's the point?
011.jpg
Looks like the Minions are playing group "pocket pool."
012.jpg
Be sure to "Six Flags" your nachos by springing for the cheese. Or maybe the cheese meant is for the pretzel. The sign is a bit vague.
013.jpg
Hey, let's ride Ragin' Cajun . . . oops! Well, Great America's loss is Six Flags America's, er, gain?
013a.jpg
Yeah, a sign about "pain." Definitely something I want to see at a theme park.
013b.jpg
"See your dentist, folks! Look at what happened to us! Another message from Universal Dental Clinics."
013c.jpg
Sheesh! Why is Great America so hung up on teeth?
014.jpg
Raging Bull does have a nicely themed setting. It's one of the best-looking areas in any Six Flags park.
015.jpg
If only it wasn't braked to death.
016.jpg
Thanks to all the neutering, they should change the name to "Wandering Steer."
017.jpg
Whizzer is still fun, anyway.
018.jpg
Yep--it's a good family coaster.
018a.jpg
I admit to being a bit of a fan of these "Wild Mouse in a Box" coasters.
019.jpg
Like Raging Bull, Whizzer was a really nice setting.
019a.jpg
Watch out for that tree!
020.jpg
Let's see . . . 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 flags.
021.jpg
It's a shame that Viper was so, well, sluggish.
022.jpg
I do like Raging Bull's layout.
023.jpg
But the park's real star is over there (no, not Batman or Vertical Velocity).
024.jpg
And, thus, our Six Flags Day came to an end. Next up will be the Mini East Coast Trip.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby coasterchitchat » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:38 pm

PrismTx wrote:Those basically remind me of those little fried balls of dough or biscuits that you find in many asian buffets, deep fried and coated in sugar I believe.

They're called Chinese Donuts.
Vekoma is English means, "We don't have the budget for a B&M so let's just order a Vekoma."

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby coasterchitchat » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:41 pm

cfc wrote:What a difference four years makes. No tours. No ERT. Slow operations. "

Whatever is going on with Six Flags Great America, a new GM needs replace Hank. The park is definetly going sour these days.

Btw, is this the first time TPR has visited a park without ERT and tours?
Vekoma is English means, "We don't have the budget for a B&M so let's just order a Vekoma."

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:46 pm

coasterchitchat wrote:Btw, is this the first time TPR has visited a park without ERT and tours?

No. For example, Japanese parks, as a rule, don't offer ERT and backstage tours.
Last edited by cfc on Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:17 pm.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby PrismTx » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:58 am

coasterchitchat wrote:
PrismTx wrote:Those basically remind me of those little fried balls of dough or biscuits that you find in many asian buffets, deep fried and coated in sugar I believe.

They're called Chinese Donuts.

Fried dough is fried dough, all the same thing really, just fry it up and put something on it lol

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:25 am

Day 7: IT'S THE MILK CHOCOLATE! Hersheypark

There's a lot to love about Hersheypark. The smell of chocolate in the air. Lightning Racer. The fact that Troegs Brewery is just around the corner. We had a great evening and day there, after everyone was picked up at Harrisburg INTERNATIONAL (as Dave Thomas reminded us) Airport.

We started off with a great evening ERT session on Fahrenheit and Storm Runner. I wasn't a big fan of the bizarrely named Fahrenheit when I first rode it a few years ago. It was a bit on the rough and rattly side (this seems to be the way with Intamin multi-inversion coasters), and the name just didn't make any sense to me (I guess the vertical list is supposed to suggest a thermometer). But it went up a few notches on this trip, as it seemed to be running much better. What I thought would be a "one and done" turned into multiple rides. And what can you say about Storm Runner after dark other than "Yeehaw!" What a great launched coaster.

But I know there's a burning question on all your minds concerning one of the park's newer coasters. So, let's answer that one right now. No, I did not ride Cocoa Cruiser. It was just too much bother to get that wee little lapbar down over my pudgy, middle-aged thighs.

But there was this other ride that made up for it. What was it called . . . Skyrush? That sounds right. ;)

Skyrush is one of the best, and most frightening, coasters I've ever ridden. When it comes to airtime, Intamin outdid themselves, and everybody else. This ride is completely, utterly insane from beginning to end. I'm not surprised that they staple you into it, as Skyrush is like a particularly unruly bronco trying to buck you off at each turn. I think the only thing that keeps it from being my #1 steel coaster is the somewhat uncomfortable restraint system, but that's more of a problem with my thighs than the ride. We rode during the park's passholder ERT session in the morning, and I think I took seven spins around the park's pond then (and a few more later in the day).

But what about the rest of the day at Hersheypark? Here's a look.
000.jpg
This is the only photo I took of the nighttime ERT session (with my phone, as I decided not to lug the camera round that night). Good times all around!
001.jpg
Oh, boy! Will we meet Willy Wonka? Will his Oompa Loompas sing valuable life lessons to us?
002.jpg
Is this where we meet Mr. Wonka?
003.jpg
You're not Willy Wonka! We have been deceived!
004.jpg
Our group, bitter at the realization that we won't be meeting Willy Wonka or hearing the soothing tones of the Oompa Loompas, plods into what used to be "Comet Hollow." Now it is simply "Hollow."
005.jpg
Wait! Who needs some creepy guy in a purple, crushed-velvet jacket?
006.jpg
All is forgiven, Milton Hershey.
006a.jpg
Skyrush can run, but it can't hide.
007.jpg
By this point, you're holding on for dear life.
008.jpg
"For what we are about to receive, may the Lord make us truly thankful!"
009.jpg
This is the most insane coaster I've ever ridden--and I've ridden Insane!
010.jpg
Skyrush is so terrifying that you can't help but grin all the way through it--probably because you've lost all semblance of sanity and have been reduced to a drooling maniac!
011.jpg
I do agree that the restraints can be a bit uncomfortable, but it's definitely worth it.
012.jpg
I think these smiling faces agree with me.
013.jpg
Well, tell Intamin you want an "airtime machine" . . .
014.jpg
. . . and, by god, you get an AIRTIME MACHINE.
014a.jpg
But let's not forget good ol' Comet.
015.jpg
It's no Skyrush, but it does provide some nice, old-fashioned fun.
016.jpg
Speaking of insane Intamin creations . . .
016a.jpg
Storm Runner is as crazy as it ever was.
017.jpg
Still the best of its kind, along with Xcelerator at Knott's. More to come.
Last edited by cfc on Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:36 am.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:35 am

One more look back at a great day at Hersheypark.
018.jpg
Hersheypark also has this . . . thing--which I first rode a number of years ago and never have to ride again. ;)
019.jpg
I didn't care much for Fahrenheit when I first rode it a few years ago.
020.jpg
But it moved up a few notches this year. I guess it's grown on me.
021.jpg
Welcome to Wildcat--with the new "Revenge of Angus McNasty" overlay!
022.jpg
OK, so the special effects are a bit "low rent."
023.jpg
"That's OK, KT! Mommy got your soul back from the crazy kitty!"
023a.jpg
Man does not live by coasters alone, so Derek took some of us over to Troegs brewery. Damn, that's good beer. Their popcorn and pork bellies are pretty tasty, too.
024.jpg
Chocolate, like beer, is also essential to our survival.
025.jpg
Better crank up your insulin pump, Dan.
025a.jpg
"Where's Dan?"
"I think all this chocolate made him explode."
"Too bad. I'll miss him."
026.jpg
Welcome to Hersheypark's version of an old-school Epcot ride.
027.jpg
"Sell them to me! Sell me your children!"
028.jpg
Thank you, West Africa.
029.jpg
What's this?
030.jpg
"IT'S THE MILK CHOCOLATE!" (Aghh! Get out of my mind!)
031.jpg
One of these Hershey products does not require "THE MILK CHOCOLATE!"
032.jpg
Thus, milk-chocolate-fueled orgasms exploded all over creation, and Milton Hershey saw that this was good.
033.jpg
Well, just about time to go. But before we leave, . . .
034.jpg
. . . let's say goodbye to Skyrush, one of the most insane rides ever!
Last edited by cfc on Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:40 pm.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Rotura Violenta » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:30 am

Great report, Chuck!

Skyrush felt so overdriven to me that it was difficult to enjoy; it was more like an endurance test than a thrilling coaster, but I feel that way about a number of the more extreme rides out there. I still rode it around 15 times to make sure the experience was burned into memory. Fahrenheit, on the other hand, was excellent.

As far as Goliath goes at Six Flags, I've yet to ride an RMC (looking forward to trying them at some point), but this is the only one that doesn't have me pricing out plane tickets to the area whereas the others all look so appealing. The layout seems a bit bland and perhaps a tad gimmicky. However, it looks great in the pictures you've provided here—a very ominous structure in the park.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive