Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 275: Halloween Horror Nights 2019 scare zones revealed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:46 pm

If you are an annual pass holder you can enter the park for day operations and take advantage of "first stab" by scanning your HHN ticket and going through security at the Transformers overflow queue---you're held there and given first opportunity to walk to the backlot mazes

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:24 pm

^Didn't know they offered that. Already went to employee preview night but if I do end up going again I will take advantage of this. Thank you.
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

KidTums' personal piano player

Halloween Horror Nights 2014 - Opening Day Review

Postby wrs28330 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:59 pm

Halloween Horror Nights 2014 - Opening Day Review

On Friday, Sept. 19, Theme Park Review was invited to the Opening Night of Universal Studios Hollywood’s Halloween Horror Nights and the Eyegore Awards.

For those unfamiliar, the Eyegore Awards honors individuals who have made significant contributions to the Horror genre of film and television.

2014 Award Winners:
Robert Rodriguez: “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For,” “From Dusk Till Dawn,” “Machette,” “Grindhouse”
Greg Nicotero: Executive Producer and Special Effects Make-Up Supervisor of AMC’s “The Walking Dead”
John Landis: “An American Werewolf in London” and Michael Jackson’s “Thriller”
SLASH: Grammy Award winner and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame guitarist

Of course, Halloween Horror Nights continues its reign as one of the premier Halloween events in Southern California. With its incredibly immersive and detailed mazes and its leverage of the most popular horror-based films and television shows, this event continues to stay fresh for its die-hard fans.

This year’s event tagline states that Halloween Horror Nights will be “More Dead Than Ever” as it brings together the sickest minds in horror to immerse guests in the living, breathing, three-dimensional world of the most notorious and terrifying creatures in existence.

The maze line up:
The Walking Dead: The End of the Line - based on AMC’s award-winning TV series
From Dusk Till Dawn - inspired by Robert Rodriguez’s cult film and TV series
Clowns 3D Music by Slash - featuring an original maze score created by the famed guitarist
Dracula Untold: Reign of Blood - based on Universal Pictures’ upcoming epic action-adveture
AVP: Alien vs. Predator - based on the Twentieth Century Fox film franchise
An American Werewolf in London - based on Universal Pictures’ Academy Award-winning film
Face Off: In the Flesh - based on Syfy’s hit TV series (most anticipated maze of yours truly!)

Scare Zone line up:
The Walking Dead: Welcome to Terminus – Make your way through a gauntlet of flesh-hungry walkers
The Purge: Anarchy - a new scare zone inspired by Universal Pictures’ blockbuster thriller
Mask-a-Raid – Hidden amongst the party-goers on French Street are members of a cannibal cult
Dark Christmas – See Krampus, the Christmas Devil and his mythological companions on Baker St.
Skullz – From Native American lore, the Wendigo are malevolent supernatural half-beast creatures have an appetite for human flesh

And of course, the world-famous Backlot Studio Tram Tour is hosting Terror Tram: Invaded By The Walking Dead - An all-new, apocalyptic journey through the Walker-infested Universal Backlot.

Noticeably absent this year are the cult-classic Bill and Ted’s Excellent Halloween Adventure show, and any other show offerings. In the past, there have been smaller offerings such as Chucky’s Insult Emporium and The Rocky Horror Picture Show Live. With a bit of controversy surrounding the Bill and Ted show last year during the run of the event, we are very sad to see that this beloved offering did not return. For me personally, the show was an event staple and it just “doesn’t feel like HHN without it”. We truly hope that it returns next year.

Despite the lack of entertainment, Universal Studio Hollywood has once again created an overall great Halloween event for their guests! We would like to give a heart-felt “Thank You!” to USH and Trana Pittam for hosting us! We look forward to seeing this event continue to grow year after year.

And now, we invite you to join us as we take you through Halloween Horror Nights:

Photos by Joseph Tagnipes and wrs28330.
01.JPG
Welcome back to Universal Studios Hollywood for another great season of Halloween Horror Nights!
02.JPG
TPR is on the red carpet rubbing elbows with the horror elite!
03.JPG
Sid Haig of House of 1000 Corpses.
04.JPG
Tara Reid of Sharknado 1 and 2!!!!! ...and some other movies too.
05.jpg
McKenzie Westmore, host of Syfy's FaceOff. She was a delight to talk to, and she shared the story behind how the maze FaceOff: In the Flesh came to life. A FaceOff fan tweeted both McKenzie and John Murdy, suggesting a maze be brought to life. After tweeting each other back and forth, the fan's idea became a reality!
06.jpg
FaceOff judges Lois Burwell, Glenn Hetrick, and Ve Neill. Also a true delight! They were very excited to have fans of the show see the best make-ups "in the flesh". They also talked about what big fans of theme parks and haunts they each are. Glenn reminisced of visiting boardwalk haunts back in the 70s and 80s.
07.jpg
HHN Creative Director John Murdy and the famous Beowulf cane which brings luck on the event's opening night.
08.JPG
Heading to the lower lot, we first see the Skulls scare zone.
09.JPG
First maze of the night is American Werewolf in London.
10.JPG
11.JPG
Some very impressive puppets and animatronics throughout this maze!
12.JPG
Next up, was Clowns 3D; your typical 3D blacklit maze.
13.JPG
Such an inviting façade!
14.JPG
By far the "scariest" thing in the maze.
15.JPG
After a 1/4 mile walk to the world famous Universal Backlot, we visit the maze which created the most buzz amongst park guests, Alien vs. Predator. A very nice touch for guests without the Gate A passes, they can watch clips from the movie as well as interviews with the cast and crew.
16.JPG
17.JPG
Gate A plug #1! Seriously, unless you want to wait an hour for each maze... worth every penny!
18.JPG
19.JPG
I'm Alien, give me some candy!
20.JPG
Jumping to The Walking Dead: End of the Line maze. Fans of the show loved the amount of park-wide representation.
21.JPG
22.JPG
We love the large-scale rooms in some of these mazes!
23.JPG
24.JPG
Back out in the Walking Dead scare zone.
25.JPG
26.JPG
27.JPG
Next was From Dusk Till Dawn. Basically, the sexy vampire maze.
28.JPG
29.JPG
These two club owner style characters arguing about how to run the club. It was fun seeing them bringing the story to life even before you get into the maze!
30.JPG
I'll take 2 please!
31.JPG
Boo!
32.JPG
Walking back from the Backlot.
33.JPG
Only a few hours into the event and already packed!
34.JPG
Yup, getting more crowded.
35.JPG
This guy was also bummed about Bill and Ted's. Bogus.
36.JPG
And now to the Terror Tram! And more Walking Dead.
37.JPG
On your short journey to the drop off point at the Whoville set, you get plenty of exposition. Not watching the show myself, it was a helpful introduction.
38.JPG
Wouldn't be a haunt event without chainsaws.
39.JPG
"Mmmm! Babies is good eatin'."
40.JPG
Walking through the coolest movie sets will never get old!
41.JPG
42.JPG
Back on the Upper Lot, we take a tour through French Street.
43.JPG
44.JPG
45.JPG
...and onto Baker Street. I honestly wasn't holding my breath for this Halloween/Christmas mash-up, but the music and scare actors did an incredible job of bringing this area to life! It was very enjoyable!
46.JPG
47.JPG
48.JPG
49.JPG
Dracula Untold: Reign of Blood
50.JPG
51.JPG
"Take the tunnel!"
52.JPG
53.JPG
One of the "wow" moments of this maze was the incorporation of the exterior courtyard between Baker and French streets. The open air was awesome.
54.JPG
The Purge: Anarchy scare zone at the front of the park.
55.JPG
56.JPG
Join the cause! Kill your neighbors? Wait, what? It's my civic duty????
57.JPG
58.JPG
59.JPG
And lastly, FaceOff: In the Flesh! As a huge fan of the show, I was really excited to see these characters. The only issue with translating these complex make-ups from TV to a theme park is having the looks hold up perfectly through the night. Because the make-up simply wouldn't last, all the scare actors wore masks. As sad as that could have been, I must say that these were the BEST masks I have ever seen. From a few feet away they looked just as good as what I could see in detail on TV.
60.JPG
FaceOff model before...
61.JPG
...and after. We love when we are kept entertained while in line!
62.JPG
The Candy Man
63.JPG
Mad Hatter DJ
64.JPG
Zombie White Rabbit.
65.JPG
Again, a big thank you to USH and Trana for hosting us yet again! We honestly had an incredible time on the red carpet for this event, and so many of the "celebrities" actually took time to talk to those of us all the way at the end of the carpet! Be sure to buy your tickets for the event early, as most nights are anticipated to sell out!

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby bostonlva » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:09 pm

Soundstage 28 is no more :(

https://twitter.com/insideuniversal

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby laqueefa » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:27 pm

Awesome update! I'm looking at going the 3rd weekend in Oct. Front of the line passes will be a must.
Tigga, please!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:53 am

Yay for Sid Haig!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby imawesome1124 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:30 am

That was awesome. My family and I are all huge FaceOff fans, so I'm sure they'd get a kick out of some of this report. I got excited a couple weeks ago when they announced that the winner of that challenge would be featured in HHN. Unrelated, but I remember from the Judge Match episode how different Glenn is when he's not judging. My dad was kinda shocked to see how normal he is.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby matt_g » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:41 am

Does this event come well recommended? We've got a night free in the area and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth buying tickets for this, vs. doing 'general sightseeing' in Hollywood (or the LA area generally).

We're already doing SFMM Fright Fest the previous night, so just a bit nervous that they might be too similar...

KidTums' personal piano player

Postby wrs28330 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:04 am

imawesome1124 wrote:Unrelated, but I remember from the Judge Match episode how different Glenn is when he's not judging. My dad was kinda shocked to see how normal he is.

I too was surprised by Glenn's change of demeanor. At the red carpet, it is clear that he is just a normal guy. The rumor that he and his family frequent Disneyland, so I asked them all if they are "theme park" fans in general. Glenn started rattling off his favorite parks, and even went so far to say that his favorite attraction is The Haunted Mansion.

matt_g wrote:Does this event come well recommended? ...We're already doing SFMM Fright Fest the previous night, so just a bit nervous that they might be too similar...

The event was certainly enjoyable, but it wasn't the best (compared to itself from past years). SFMM's Fright Fest can't hold a candle to even the worst of HHN mazes. Definitely do HHN, but seriously consider upgrading to a Gate A pass if you want to get through all the mazes. I am never a sucker for any upsell in life, but this is the ONE thing I will always get!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:07 am

bostonlva wrote:Soundstage 28 is no more :(

Seriously, - why is this a big deal and why does ANYONE give a crap?!?!?

I'm so incredibly SICK of people all-of-a-sudden caring about things they never cared about before, never even knew existed, just because it's going away. It's just so insanely dumb to me. I'm willing to make a Las Vegas bet that 99.999999999% of the people who are all "OMG! Universal got rid of Soundstage 28!?!?!?" had probably NEVER EVEN HEARD of it before they found out about it on some stupid blog.

We just posted an awesome update from Horror Nights, and this is how you choose to respond to this thread?

Ugh, just so sick of all this "weekend activist" crap.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!