Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Postby lbeeler » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:31 am

Midgetman82 wrote:A bit off topic, I'm just now going through my camera's memory card and noticed these: Do you know how Thunder Run is usually a very tricky coaster to get a good photograph of? Well, when I last descended the stairs of Mile High's viewing platform 5 days ago, I looked forward and noticed that there was an opening revealing a sweet spot for Thunder Run's first airtime hill. I felt a bit accomplished since I didn't have any good photos of the coaster until then!

that’s definitely the first time I’ve seen a picture of TR from that side well done!!! :airtime: :airtime:
My Top 5 Coasters 1. Millennium force 2. Storm Chaser 3. Banshee 4. Top Thrill Dragster 5. Voyage

You're going to need a bigger Donkey

Postby Diamondbacker27 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:51 am

Myself wrote:I'm kind of surprised they used the Road Runner Express pad for a flat ride of all things. There's a large open space behind Professor John's Flying Machines that is virtually inaccessible now. For my wish list, I'd move the Flying Machines over so as to be inside the helix of Lightning Run (which is just begging to have some sort of ride put there eventually!) and add a coaster in its spot. I imagine a spinning coaster would do KK well, such as a Maurer ride like Steel Dragon/Laff Trakk/Undertow. I'm also interested to see if Ed Hart intends to reopen the Top Eliminator Dragsters, or replace them. I certainly like what Lagoon did to replace theirs! ;)

I'm not sure how feasible such additions would be... I've never been to Kentucky Kingdom, but I'm hoping I can change that in the coming years!

Well, to be fair Lighting Run takes up some space over there too.
Wood-22
Steel- 84
Total- 106

Spinach plus Tuna makes the taste of the paste!

Postby Reality15 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:53 am

Didn't see it anywhere in the thread, but could someone tell me if there are bins or other areas to store a bag at Lightning Run and Thunder Run? Thanks!
Check me out on: Flickr // YouTube // Facebook // Twitter

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby ratdogg68 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:06 am

^ They have Bins at both coasters to place your things in.
Let the Riding begin

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:08 am

lbeeler wrote:
Midgetman82 wrote:A bit off topic, I'm just now going through my camera's memory card and noticed these: Do you know how Thunder Run is usually a very tricky coaster to get a good photograph of? Well, when I last descended the stairs of Mile High's viewing platform 5 days ago, I looked forward and noticed that there was an opening revealing a sweet spot for Thunder Run's first airtime hill. I felt a bit accomplished since I didn't have any good photos of the coaster until then!

that’s definitely the first time I’ve seen a picture of TR from that side well done!!! :airtime: :airtime:

It's all them dadburn trees. ;) But they do make the area around the ride look nice.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Couldn't agree more. Better to have some overgrowth near the tracks than open flat concrete, piles of dirt, or parking lot, especially since it covers a lot of the urban areas outside of the park.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby lbeeler » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:21 am

Does anyone know the height restrictions for KK?
My Top 5 Coasters 1. Millennium force 2. Storm Chaser 3. Banshee 4. Top Thrill Dragster 5. Voyage

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:40 am

I assume it varies in different sections (topping off somewhere under 200 feet), considering they had to get the airport to shut down a runway to install a 121 foot tall water slide at the back corner of the park, yet they used to own a 180 foot SkyCoaster near the front.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

You're going to need a bigger Donkey

Postby Diamondbacker27 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:55 am

lbeeler wrote:Does anyone know the height restrictions for KK?

I believe it's 200-220 In certain areas of the park. I can see why, we were sitting in the U of L football stadium ( Across the highway from the park.) and a plane flew right over the stadium, maybe 40 feet above it. :?r
Wood-22
Steel- 84
Total- 106

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby ratdogg68 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:08 am

It's 200 feet on the side by Lighting Run and 150 feet by Thunder Run/ Twisted Twins side.
Let the Riding begin

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!