Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1436: Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure news
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:30 pm

Last night Theme Park Review was invited to a media preview for Halloween Horror Nights 24, including a great overview of this year's event, a look at new costumes and decor and a full experience of the event's Halloween maze. Building on the success of past years, Halloween Horror Nights 24 will feature five IP-based houses, three original concept houses and four scare zones--two original concepts and two intellectual properties used as a base for these. There was no word given yet on if the Legendary Truth interactive game will return for the event. Thanks to the promotional tie-ins between Face Off and Halloween Horror Nights this year including a new scare zone, two former contestants from the show were present for the media preview.

The night's event concluded with a full experience of Halloween, a live re-telling of Michael Myers' original assault on the town of Haddonfield, Illinois. Living up to previous years' houses, there are plenty of scares in this true-to-film recreation of John Carpenter's essential horror flick. There's even some hidden tributes to the franchises' lore, including a quick commercial for Silver Shamrock masks, the catalyst for some messed up happenings in Halloween III: Season of the Witch!
001.jpg
And we're back for another look into this year's latest horrors at Halloween Horror Nights 24!
002.JPG
Always fun to see this marquee for us!
003.JPG
It wouldn't be Halloween Horror Nights without Michael Aiello on stage to share exciting details about the event!
004.JPG
Halloween Horror Nights turns out to be Michael Aiello's favorite time of year--go figure!
005.JPG
Universal created a great lineup of displays showing off the year's houses and scare zones.
006.JPG
Dollhouse of the Damned looks like it'll be especially creepy!
007.JPG
Maskerade Unstitched will be one of four new scare zones found during the event.
008.JPG
Hello!
009.JPG
They had to censor the bar's full name, but fans of the films or show will know what this is meant to be called.
010.JPG
The Alien vs. Predator setup teased Alien puppets but nothing was shown during our visit.
011.JPG
Banks & Robb fully approve of the costumes for the From Dusk To Dawn maze!
012.JPG
Face Off from SyFy will be featured at Halloween Horror Nights with designed by the contestants (and one winner) from several of these show 4.
013.JPG
More displays too ogle over!
014.JPG
Ready to get "Gore-ified!"
015.JPG
Going under the knife!
016.JPG
The finished product!
017.JPG
I fit right in...
018.JPG
Looks so awesome!
019.JPG
Here are Doc and Eric, former Face Off contestants from Season 7 and Season 3 (respectively) with their work-in-progress character that will be seen in the Face Off scare zone.
020.jpg
An inside look at Halloween, with Michael Myers in action!
021.JPG
Stay on the road. Keep clear of the moors. Beware the moon!
022.JPG
What happened after we visited Michael Myers.
024.jpg
A peek at the detail going in to Giggles & Gore, Inc.
025.jpg
This puppet from Dollhouse of the Damned looks quite familiar... I believe he's from Dead Silence!
023.JPG
What a tense night!

In all seriousness, this was another great event from the Universal Orlando Resort and a great look at what is still to come for Halloween Horror Nights 24. We can't wait to see what comes next for Halloween Horror Nights and with the event starting in less than two weeks, the wait is almost over. Special thanks to the Universal Orlando Resort for hosting us once again!
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:00 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:48 am

This puppet from Dollhouse of the Damned looks quite familiar... I believe he's from Dead Silence!

Looks that way to me, too--waste not, want not.

I always enjoy the details Universal crams into their mazes. Looking forward to seeing HHN for myself this year after skipping it last year.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:02 am

The Universal Orlando Resort has put out a press release announcing the addition of a fifth Loews hotel to the Orlando resort!

Universal and Loews Hotels & Resorts Announce New Hotel for Universal Orlando

Caribbean-themed Loews Sapphire Falls Resort Will Feature 1,000 Rooms and Suites – Casual Feel Built Around a Lagoon and Towering Waterfall

ORLANDO, Fla. (September 9, 2014) When it opens in the summer of 2016, guests visiting the new Loews Sapphire Falls Resort at Universal Orlando will walk into a colorful Caribbean hideaway built around a lush, tropical lagoon and towering waterfall.

The new hotel, announced today by Universal Orlando Resort and Loews Hotels & Resorts, will be located across Adventure Way from the new Cabana Bay Beach Resort. It will become the destination’s fifth resort hotel and its 1,000 rooms, including 77 suites, will bring the number of on-site hotel rooms at Universal Orlando to 5,200.

Inspired by the picturesque rivers and waterfalls of the Caribbean, Loews Sapphire Falls will immerse guests in a highly themed resort environment using traditional island styling with modern touches. A resort-style pool with a water slide, children’s play area, sand beach and fire pit will help form a central courtyard and will be surrounded by the hotel’s guest rooms. There will be water taxi and shuttle access to all of the entertainment and dining options throughout Universal Orlando Resort.

“We are excited to continue our growth plans at Loews Hotels by building another hotel with our long-standing partners at Universal Orlando,” says Jonathan Tisch, Chairman of Loews Hotels & Resorts. “Loews Sapphire Falls Resort will be every bit as distinctive as the other four on-site hotels and will offer a new option to families looking for a truly special Orlando vacation.”

“Our guests repeatedly tell us that our Universal Orlando on-site hotels provide them a completely immersive vacation experience from the moment they enter our hotels and are transported to another place,” said Tom Williams, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Universal Parks & Resorts. “We look forward to bringing them yet another incredibly themed experience with the opening of Loews Sapphire Falls Resort.”

The new hotel will be full service. Amenities will include Early Park Admission to Universal’s theme parks, a full-service restaurant with scenic views and outdoor dining, a themed lobby lounge, poolside bar and grill, quick-service marketplace, valet service and a fitness center. Booking information and pricing will be announced at a later date.

FAST FACTS
  • Opening Date: Summer 2016
  • Style: Casual and easy-going Caribbean-inspired resort surrounding a lush, tropical lagoon and towering waterfall.
  • Rooms: 1,000 guest rooms and suites.
  • Amenities: Highlights include Early Park Admission to Universal’s theme parks, resort-style pool with water slide and children’s play area, valet service and a fitness center.
  • Dining: Full-service restaurant with scenic views and outdoor dining, themed lobby lounge, quick-service marketplace, poolside bar and grill.
  • Reservations: Will be accepted in spring 2015
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:08 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:00 am

So the rumors were true. I didn't see any information on where this hotel will fall in their pricing, does anyone know if it will be deluxe or Moderate/Value?

Team Alcide!

Postby live2tell75 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:12 am

^ I'm thinking pricing will be somewhere between Cabana Bay and Royal Pacific. I noticed that this resort will have early entry, but no mention of express pass access. If that is the case, should be cheaper than Royal Pacific. Glad that this new resort will have water taxi access. Looks nice and am happy Universal is continuing to give more on-site resort options.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:18 am

^I would agree with that. Also the resort will have the water taxi service which is another step up from Cabana Bay.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:39 am

HHN looks like it will be great this year. The new hotel looks great. I wish they would give all resort guests express passes.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:53 am

^With 5200 rooms it wouldn't be very express if they gave the passes to all of those groups!

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby coasterdude28 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:32 am

I will be in Orlando next week with my family. We're planning on going to Universal on Wednesday and Thursday. Seeing as how I've always really wanted to go to HHN and we are in town until Saturday 9/20, I think I have to try to get there on Friday. Is my best option to purchase the HHN add on ticket when I'm at the park earlier in the week? I'm on a budget but don't want to miss the opportunity to go. Any suggestions as far as tickets go and/or how I should plan my visit? Thanks a lot for any help!

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby OrlandoGuy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:19 pm

coasterdude28 wrote:I will be in Orlando next week with my family. We're planning on going to Universal on Wednesday and Thursday. Seeing as how I've always really wanted to go to HHN and we are in town until Saturday 9/20, I think I have to try to get there on Friday. Is my best option to purchase the HHN add on ticket when I'm at the park earlier in the week? I'm on a budget but don't want to miss the opportunity to go. Any suggestions as far as tickets go and/or how I should plan my visit? Thanks a lot for any help!

What I would do is switch your Wednesday visit with a Friday visit...the HHN add-on (called the Stay n Scream option) is not only a better deal than a regular admission to HHN, but it will also work to your advantage if you are in the park when the event starts. If you spend your day at USF on Friday, head to Finnegans (across from the Mummy) when they begin closing the park to the public. Team members will then scan your ticket to make sure you have HHN access so upgrade your ticket before then! Then, you can just chill in the Finnegans holding area and one of the soundstage houses will open early for you. This headstart on the general admission crowds is a HUGE advantage, and will allow you to see everything almost guaranteed.

As for the hotel...love the concept, HATE the name. Sapphire Falls? Ugh. But it definitely looks nice. I agree that it probably wont have Express access due to oversaturation concerns. Still should be a nice option though. It'll be interesting to see if Universal can sustain all these rooms even without Harry Potter hype.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!