Photo TR: Lagoon Park 22/7/14

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Photo TR: Lagoon Park 22/7/14

Postby Coaster27 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:46 pm

Hello Everybody,
Recently I was in Utah for a week, and while I was there, I decided to visit Lagoon Park. This park doesn't really get too much attention, but it really should for how unique the rides are, and how nice the whole place was. I had heard many things about this place, including having the best staff in the world. My hopes were very high for this park

They have a very unique ride lineup, starting with their prized Zierer launched ride, Wicked. Complementing that, there was a Schwarzkopf looper called Colossus, a JetStar 2, a really freakin' old roller coaster, and two Maurer Söhne coasters, Spider and Wild Mouse. Along with the big rides, there was also Bombora, a less intense alternative, and the Bat, which is just as painful as most other Vekoma Suspended Coasters. The whole park is very unique, and has some gems that I didn't even know existed. I guess with this park, I can ride Spiral Coaster 1 and Top Spinner 1...

Again, they have very unique rides. Their flat ride lineup consists of the standard drop tower, chair swing, carousel, and a ferris wheel. They also have Samurai, a Mondial Top Scan, and Cliffhanger, a really wet Mondial Top Spin. Along with the major rides, there's also a Huss Enterprise and a Rock-O-Plane. Oh yes, they also have Air Race, which was also fairly weird.

They have paid rides too, including a Skycoaster, a Slingshot, and Go-Karts.

Their food was ok. I generally don't eat at theme parks, but they have a Subway and two Arby's in case you want to know.

With my hopes high, I drove over to Farmington. While in line for tickets, a woman asked me if I was just here for one day. She was very nice and offered me one of her discounted work passes for $13 since she wasn't bringing anybody else with her.
IMG_0134.jpg
The park was very beautiful that day, clear sky and perfect weather
IMG_0133.jpg
Whilst walking in, there are some interesting fountains
IMG_0131.jpg
Immediately to the right, you can find TERRORIDE
IMG_0087.jpg
I got so spooked by this, I'm suing them for emotional damages. How is this allowed?
IMG_0126.jpg
Continuing right, you'll find the first roller coaster in their lineup, the Rollercoaster
IMG_0125.jpg
I was a bit nervous about this one, my only previous experience with old rides was Lake Compounce's Wildcat. That was also my first experience with whiplash
IMG_0123.jpg
This ride turned out to be one of the smoothest wooden coasters I've been on
IMG_0101.jpg
The Rollercoaster was really fun all the way through, definitely check this ride out if you go there.
IMG_0120.jpg
Yes, this is an ACE landmark too
IMG_0119.jpg
Next up: Wild Mouse!
IMG_0118.jpg
I love wild mouses, Mullholland Madness was my first roller coaster
IMG_0116.jpg
It's like the one at Dorney Park, except it wasn't run so terribly.
IMG_0115.jpg
Oh yeah, here's the Cliffhanger
IMG_0113.jpg
Yes, it gets you wet
IMG_0110.jpg
Really wet
IMG_0108.jpg
Emphasis on wet. If you do this, bring a change of clothes
IMG_0107.jpg
Now for their prized Zierer launched coaster, Wicked
IMG_0100.jpg
These are the trains. They don't have shoulder restraints, instead, they give you these weird lap restraints that are like the ones on Skyrush at Hershey
IMG_0097.jpg
The ride goes like this, it turns a corner...
IMG_0091.jpg
Then it blasts you to one of the greatest airtime hills in the US
IMG_0088.jpg
Followed by an over banked turn, then a zero-g roll
IMG_0019.jpg
Followed by another series of over banked turns
IMG_0022.jpg
This element gives you the greatest feeling ever, like if Maverick got rid of the shoulder restraints
IMG_0083.jpg
Now we go to Colossus, a classic looping coaster
IMG_0080.jpg
It's a really fast ride
IMG_0077.jpg
You get a massive drop, then a double loop
IMG_0076.jpg
You get really close to the tracks while in line
IMG_0075.jpg
The whole ride is short, but has some nice helixes
IMG_0071.jpg
You'd have to go to this ride in person in order to really understand how difficult it was to get this photo so perfect. Seriously, this was just pure luck that it didn't blur or anything. I'd say the train was going 40-50 MPH
IMG_0068.jpg
Now for some flat rides. Here's their enterprise
IMG_0064.jpg
They have a really weird thing called the Rock-O-Plane. Very nauseating
IMG_0062.jpg
They've got a scrambler, too.
IMG_0053.jpg
They've got some construction going on. Judging by this single support, I think they're building a Gerstlauer
IMG_0052.jpg
Here's a good look at their Sling Shot
IMG_0050.jpg
What's this hiding over here?
IMG_0049.jpg
Yep, this is the JetStar 2
IMG_0043.jpg
Here's one of the cars, practically no restraints inside
IMG_0045.jpg
The ride really wasn't half bad and the brakes were fine
IMG_0040.jpg
Here's Air Race, an interesting thrill ride that spins you around while you spin around.
IMG_0038.jpg
And what's this? Dracula's Castle
IMG_0035.jpg
"And now, a carriage approaches to carry you into the boundless realm of the supernatural"
IMG_0033.jpg
Well, this is your standard S&S drop ride
IMG_0030.jpg
If you've never seen one of these, it goes up..
IMG_0029.jpg
Then it drops you
IMG_0027.jpg
For those who hate the waterpark but love watersides, they have the Hydro Luge
IMG_0025.jpg
The black one is like a sauna inside
IMG_0024.jpg
And now for the ride I never knew actually existed, Samurai
IMG_0023.jpg
This ride does very unnatural things to you. This is actually the first ride that's ever made me scream not out of fun
IMG_0018.jpg
Let's not forget the Spider
IMG_0014.jpg
The station was... well a station
IMG_0013.jpg
I'm conflicted about this ride, it throws you around each turn, but it's so cool
IMG_0010.jpg
I guess this ride is more comfortable if you're smaller
IMG_0009.jpg
It has a few helixes, and an over banked turn
IMG_0008.jpg
Well, it's now time for closing. The whole park was beautiful, and one of the best I've been to. I guess the whole small town feel to the park is the best. Scenery is one of the best things about amusement parks. You can have a park with all the rides in the world, but without any real scenery, it turns out boring and repetitive. This park was scenic and defiantly worth admission, even if that woman hadn't offered me those tickets. This is the ideal amusement park for me. While I wouldn't recommend traveling to Utah solely for this park, plan to go here if you're in the area.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Photo TR: Lagoon Park 22/7/14

Postby RCF » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:19 am

Great trip report. As it's my home park, you nailed it in the head on how this park is. Many locals however disagree with everything this park stands for. They find the place to look like a carnival with unsafe carny rides, run down buildings, boring coasters (including Wicked,) and extremely overpriced. Apparently if the place doesn't look like Disneyland or have huge coasters like Cedar Fair and Six Flags, the park is run down and is s***. I may sound like I'm exaggerating, but Utahns complain about what is here because they wish to live in places like California without looking at what a treasure it is to be in Utah. They even complain about a $15 zoo mostly renovated in the past ten years as being overpriced.

For the new ride being built, it's not going to be built by any manufacturer as Lagoon is doing it all themselves. Expect something very unique and big, according to current rumors.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby harper83087 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:26 am

Awesome report! I've had my eye on this park ever since moving to Phoenix. I'd love to make it up there one day and get my first credit on several different coaster types :airtime: .
Total:99, steel:73 wood:26 According to Coaster Counter
Top 5 Steel: Magnum XL-200; X2; Maverick; Alpengeist; Tatsu
Top 5 Wood: Apocalypse; Beast; Mean Streak; Blue Streak; Shivering Timbers

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:51 am

Great photos!
Coaster27 wrote:And now for the ride I never knew actually existed, Samurai

This ride does very unnatural things to you. This is actually the first ride that's ever made me scream not out of fun

Yeah it's not my kind of ride at all. And reading this I wonder if I'll ever bother to try one.
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:24 am

Great report. I love seeing trip reports from out-of-the-way parks like this one.

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:03 am

Great photos!
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Nickstroberg » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:16 pm

When me and my girlfriend move west, we're making a pitstop at Lagoon. I NEED TO RIDE COLOSSUS! Glad to hear it was good! The most similar Anton I've ridden was Laser at Dorney, greyed out on both loops. And Colossus has a BONUS HELIX! Cant wait. AND a Jetstar?!? GAHH! need to go NOW.

I've also been curious about Wicked for quite some time, as the vertical launch seems to be pretty unique/cool. Glad to hear its got mad ejector air like I always imagined. Lagoon seems like a pretty unique park, thank you for the Photo TR!

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive