TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

My Cedar Point Coaster Campout Experience

I really wanted to do this as it sounded like a blast, but things just didn't work out. I would love to try it if they do it again in the future.

Thanks for sharing...I was hoping that someone would do a nice TR covering this event!

And has anyone been in the new Lusty Lil's and seen the show?

Is it any good and do they have good draft?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I'm still confused. So there were spots available WITHOUT being able to camp? Or was everyone that got in allowed to camp, but some just chose not to?

There were limited spots available to camp out overnight - they did not release numbers but I saw a sheet at sign in that said there were 159 camp spots. Each spot could hold up to 4 campers - some had 1 - most had 3 or 4. When registration opened in late January folks had to submit their information via CP's website to enter a "lottery" for chance to be selected for a camp site. In early February they contacted folks that had "won" the camp site lottery.

You could also register for this event as a non-camper for yourself and one other guest. You could have access to all activities (ERT, food, etc.) but would not have access to the camp areas (well except to walk back to Maverick for ERT). They also posted special hotel rates for those that either did not, or were not, selected to camp. I believe this registration was open until sometime in April.

Ahh, ok. Thanks for clarifying that. I was worried that some people would have signed up for the campout, and then just did the ERT and left meaning that they would have taken a spot from those who were actually interested in taking part in this unique event, but seeing how the park made it an option is very cool to allow those who just wanted to take part, but not camp, still able to join in the fun.

Edited by robbalvey

People these days are getting so sensitive, and can't take a joke anymore.

I find it hilarious and ironic that you would say this after just chewing someone out over having a good time at a football game. Lighten the f*ck up, people!!!!

I find it hilarious and ironic that you would say this after just chewing someone out over having a good time at a football game. Lighten the f*ck up, people!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love high-fiving it up with the drunks at sports games, and normally don't care what people around me do. Just that, there's always that one guy at a sporting event that ruins it for everyone around him by acting obnoxious, sometimes instigating and starting a fight. When you spend thousands of dollars every season to attend these events, it's annoying. I apologize if I came off as uptight, as I'm a pretty tolerant person. I'm on your side, I loved that gag CP pulled, and thought it was in great taste!

QFT!

This sounds like a really great time! Hope they do it again, I'm down!

Edited by droc089

Here's some pics I had on my phone - not the best quality but get the idea of the "scary" monsters that came around camp that night...

IMG_2936.thumb.JPG.a9993d5938192bf26d7f90605c0bf34c.JPG

Part of the blanket and lanyards given to all participants

IMG_2940.thumb.JPG.1551b10824845e3322f8c109fcb9dd57.JPG

Registration tent by the Magnum gate

IMG_2948.thumb.JPG.76b351e1008d0dbf75303d8d906bd165.JPG

This small card was handed back with your parking receipt to alert everyone of the early ride closures due to the event

IMG_2967.thumb.JPG.00ababf59c2b28fcd85038ee0d729a72.JPG

Spy shot of camp zones

IMG_2980.thumb.JPG.d5f1711f8b26108c36cebec4c486ae80.JPG

Folks taking a picture with our late night guests

IMG_2982.thumb.JPG.b60a7b545d84202332c4716ff6f6e80d.JPG

More monster selfies

IMG_2983.thumb.JPG.569d237a2fadf1d9c9e6efe0cf115421.JPG

My son and I with pajamas, red eye and monsters!

IMG_3010.thumb.jpg.999bcea7aa0d92988aa35e1b772291c5.jpg

This tag was attached to the free blanket given out to everyone attending

I was there as well, had an AWESOME time and personally thought the Haunt at 2am was the best part of it! the family next to me... not so much, their daughter (10 yrs old maybe?) was terrified and refused to go back to sleep. Maybe my opinion would be different if I was a parent, but personally I think people should expect anything that is fair game at the park, and for Cedar Fair parks that means a Haunt theme in October (my closest park is Valley Fair which does Valley Scare). So if some people don't return next year, more odds of me being able to return

Here's some photos

my campsite

Zone 2 campers

myself (center) neighbor (sorry, didn't catch your name!, he's on the left) the big bad wolf and a couple cowboy zombies.

zombies scaring the campers

Respectfully submitted

Rich Kenyon

Thanks for the great trip report! Really wanted to do the campout, but I consider it some consolation that I will be doing both Banshee Bash and Knoebels the next two Fridays. Can't wait!

I am very jealous that you got to go to this event, it seems like it was a blast. By the time I saw the event it was to late to register. It is a dream of mine to camp out in an amusement park overnight, so hopefully they do it next year because I will be there. Glad you had so much fun!

Ahh, ok. Thanks for clarifying that. I was worried that some people would have signed up for the campout, and then just did the ERT and left meaning that they would have taken a spot from those who were actually interested in taking part in this unique event, but seeing how the park made it an option is very cool to allow those who just wanted to take part, but not camp, still able to join in the fun.

I agree Robb it was very cool of the park to allow those who just wanted to take part, but not camp, still be able to join in the fun. (That's what I did with my guest since I don't own a tent and I have access to my own version of "camping" [on water - a.k.a. boat] less than 5 mins from the park.) By the way, I did see ElToroMillieniumForce and his family waiting in the line up by the resort gate for the campers to walk back to set up and saw his tent set up later during the ERT time (it was one of the best looking tents I saw set up on the grass inside the antique cars track area). Seeing all those tents set up in the back of the park like that was a great site to see (unfortunately my night time photos did not come out ). Also, I was impressed by the large numbers of families with their kids like ElToroMillieniumForce camping out. CP Tony was a trooper for this event. I saw him and said hi to him at the check-in table about an hour before ElToroMillieniumForce said he arrived. I also saw him later on the Maverick station platform during the ERT time and I saw him later on closer to midnight talking with some of the staff and campers near the refreshments and smores they had set up in Frontier town. This was a very fun event and I hope they do it again!

(P.S. In-case you're reading this Tony [or anyone else from the park] - my guest and I have to give a big bravo to all of your live entertainment cast and crew. The Luminosity show on Friday night was awesome and the lead singers were great -- and the one that sang Lady Gaga was spot on [i almost did a double take to see if it actually was Gaga was up on the stage or not]. We also saw the Broadway tribute show both on Friday [when we needed a break] and on Saturday [ducking in from the rain] and the performers in that show are truly awesome! Their rendition of "One Day More" from Les Misérables is outstanding! The vocal talent of several of the ladies and guys in the show is phenomenal.)

I have a question, if you were on concrete or wood how do you stake down the tent? At Knoebels I always used nails if I am on a platform, but I was just curious what people did on the concrete.

You didn't "stake" it down. If you were on a hard surface you were just required to have enough heavy objects to keep the tent from blowing away. However, they didn't really enforce it and as far as I know, no one had issues. In fact since our tent's weren't staked down [those of us on concrete] the scareactures were able to shake our tent.

(P.S. In-case you're reading this Tony [or anyone else from the park] - my guest and I have to give a big bravo to all of your live entertainment cast and crew. The Luminosity show on Friday night was awesome and the lead singers were great -- and the one that sang Lady Gaga was spot on [i almost did a double take to see if it actually was Gaga was up on the stage or not]. We also saw the Broadway tribute show both on Friday [when we needed a break] and on Saturday [ducking in from the rain] and the performers in that show are truly awesome! Their rendition of "One Day More" from Les Misérables is outstanding! The vocal talent of several of the ladies and guys in the show is phenomenal.)

Tony Clark, Bryan Edwards (the PR Director) and Cedar Point all follow Theme Park Review on twitter so they'll be reading this.

If you guys at CP happen to reading this, I would LOVE to say that YOU guys are the BEST! Best coaster enthusiast event. Also, every time I go to Cedar Point the Luminosity show continues to wow me. Cedar Fair should put these at the other parks.

This was an awesome event! Although we weren't lucky enough to get a campsite in the park, we have a camper and had our own campout at Walmart. There were several other campers already there when we pulled in the parking lot at about 12:30 and can I tell you there was someone pitching a tent there LOL!

Tony and staff went all out and I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of their efforts to make this a special event. We were able to bring event newbies who had no idea how great it is to go to a park this way. I'm sure they will be joining our ranks soon.

I also hate to hear the complaining. This event was totally FREE so just be grateful for it. Sometimes things happen that are disappointing (such as TTD being down during Coastermania), but life is so much better if you become an adult and learn to roll with the punches.

The Cedar point coaster camp out was an absolute blast. I arrived at around 3:30 p.m. after parking in the soak city lot as directed I headed to the entrance to check in. There I got my lanyard and blanket. After dropping the blanket off at my car I headed to Ttd. But it was down. The load area still had people in it but the queue entrance was closed. Maybe 50 people were lined up. I waited out the delay and got up to the station. They needed one person to fill a train. I was the lucky winner. After Ttd I did a couple shows and a few rides. Rockin country is still one of my favorites. I headed to the back of the park for campsite check in. The line for the concrete sites was long but didn't take long. I chatted with some folks from Coaster crew while waiting. We all ended up getting sites in zone 2. We were at the saloon in Frontier town. Maverick was straight out my doorstep. Later when the creepy music began the monsters came out right by my tent. I had a hunch something crazy would happen on this night. I opened my tent and the witch poked her head in many face. They terrorized the tent next to mine. It was hilarious to watch. Jason McClure was around watching the fun. They used us to introduce the new Tombstone Territory maze for halloweekends. Jason remarked to me about how I had worked in that maze at kings island. I'd chatted with him at dinner about that. Overall the event was excellent. Enthusiasm was high in the rain for MF ert. People had many rides with little wait. After breakfast I watched ttd trains get put on the track. I departed mid morning from the park.