Garet's Everland/Lotte World TR's 2014/2015

Everland 2015/16 News, Eagles Fortress, New Water Slide
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Garet's Everland/Lotte World TR's 2014/2015

Postby Garet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:03 am

I'm a bit late getting my updates up this year, I foolishly thought once the wedding was over i'd have a lot of free-time straight after the honeymoon, I didn't quite realize how much i'd have to do post-wedding for the last 2 months. I'll try and post my TR of Lotte World before the end of the month but since Lotte World had a lot more new rides, a lot of general improvements and the weather was nice I ended up taking a lot more pictures there so I need more time to sort through them.

Everytime I visit Everland I end up writing a negative TR and I really don't want to keep repeating myself since I do like the park but on both our trips this year we generally came away thinking our trips there were just OK. I think the problem is we've being going so much over the last 4 years we keep comparing the Everland today to the Everland that was.

I am quickly going to get the things that really makes us quite hesitant to visit Everland so much out of the way first. The ride operating hours have got pretty bad compared to what they used to be. Although the more popular rides have always closed up to 3 hours before park close, almost a year ago it began that on weekdays a few of the rides in each area would share half day schedules. So for example the top spin and shooting ride would operate from 10:00 - 14:00 and then they would close and then the top scan and rotating house would open 15:00-closing. Now it has changed that this happens on even weekends/peak days. Weekdays almost 2/3s of the parks bigger rides will only run for half the day, with half of the childrens rides closed completely and the helicycles never running on weekdays. Maybe i'm being too harsh about this since the park is pretty empty on weekdays but it seems strange compared to Lotte World that runs all rides including fast pass even on dead days.

We had the same problem with the waterpark hitting 2 hour + lines with only half the slides runnings so 2 out of the 4 aqua loops were open and the master blaster and body slides that had an a and b side would only open the a side etc.

Again I generally do enjoy going to Everland and T-Express alone is worth the entrance as is going to see the Dream Of Lucian fireworks show (when it's not been replaced by one of the seasonal shows) purely for the super low fireworks and how much the story mirrors Fantasmic but I do wish it was more like the Everland I encountered when I first came to Korea 4 years ago.

One other slightly Everland related thing, the government has changed the laws so you can no longer stand on the red public buses, even though the bus from gangnam only takes 40 minutes if you are going on a weekend it may be worth leaving a little earlier just in case. (Edit 2015: This trial run very quickly ended since no amount of extra buses resulted in everyone sitting and you can stand on buses again, all mention of alternate transport methods seem to be gone from the Everland site)
01.jpg
My wife correctly predicted that since the weekend after our visit was a weekend with a wednesday and friday bank holiday and the weather was overcast it would be quiet. Believe it or not this is a quite opening crowd (taken 1 hour before opening). I wanted to go on the day between bank holidays but turns out everyone had the same idea, that day had 40 minute lines even for the small world knock-off.
02.jpg
Top tip: If the park is busy head for this office, it'll have a small line even when the other ticket offices have overflows
03.jpg
It's easy to spot.
04.jpg
The booth just next-door is Everlands version of fast pass, for 80 dollars you get entrance, a drink, a queue pass for t express or rapids and the safari rides as well as 2 tickets to the madagascar show and hologram concert ride which are reservation only.
05.jpg
The real reason we were here early, the first 100 people who paid with BC card would get a q-pass, when we saw the crowds we'd assumed we'd missed out but it turns out a lot of people hadn't checked the home page and gone to the special booth to claim them afterwards (there was no notices about it at the park either, only the home page). Everland have quite big discounts that change each month so it always helps if you have a Korean friend to check the site and lend you their card :P . We got 50% discount and a q pass for this month.
06.jpg
My first stop was to pick up a reservation ticket for one of the new attraactions.
07.jpg
Times available, we went there as soon as the park opened so there was plenty but as with most of the reservation rides they can't check if you've already taken one so people will go to more than one showing and they can run out on busy days.
08.jpg
Ride sign for Larry.
09.jpg
Generally this ride is one of the first people see so it will pick up a line for the rest of the day almost immediately.
10.jpg
I hopee they build something eventually up near where Eagles Fortress still sits, though Hurricane is popular most people will head downhill from here and barely anyone seems to head up the path towards the pirate ship and break dance, the area seems pretty dead.
11.jpg
Next stop was T-Express to pick up reservation tickets.
12.jpg
This line can stretch pretty far and out of the area on busy day to pick up tickets, i'm honestly not sure what the limit is on the number of tickets though since I tend to avoid the park on busier days.
13.jpg
The rules for the reservation system. You show up at the ticket booth and they give you a ticket to come back in an hour, the idea being it's a virtual queue but it really didn't seem to work that way since the waiting times didn't seem that different from before the system came into effect. I don't think i'd have such a big problem with it if it wasn't so easily abused. They require all the group members to be there but then they don't scan tickets so we would see people get them from T Express and then try and get another from a booth in another area. It seemed pointless that people would abuse it anyway since once you waited in line and rode you would barely have time to get in another ride on that time slot anyway.
14.jpg
There seemed a lot of confusion over the system that they had 2 members of staff (one with an I speak English badge) on the entrance to explain things, i'm not sure if it was because it was quiet but we were told it was ok to get one for each hour so we ended up laying T-Express leapfrog. Since the passes aren't staggered over the hour and have fixed times, the lines would be huge at the start of each hour (about 50 minutes). We found the best time was to get there at 35 minutes past the hour grab a ticket for the next hour and jump in line then for around 20 minutes getting off just in time to line up before the next hour people started arriving (the operators would yell out how long the line was and they would let people in 10 minutes before the time slot if it got quiet enough so it helped to get there early). Then after that ride we'd grab another ticket and repeat. Doesn't work as well on busier days though since the line will still be big.
15.jpg
I'm pretty sure TPR members would be smart enough to read the map but you'd be surprised how many people would run to T express and jump in a big line for the tickets when these were both mentioned on the map and scattered around the park with no lines.

Also try to avoid getting the opening hour reservation, not only will it only be a 20 minute window but they only run one train and also add the second train and test it during that time so it can be a pretty big wait even with a few people.
16.jpg
As I said we got to the park when it was really quiet.
17.jpg
T-Express
18.jpg
After a year of bad luck with the weather policy or special events it was nice to finally ride again
19.jpg
Since it was quiet I finally got to ride the parks rotating house
20.jpg
It was quite nicely themed but even with a empty queue we waited 15 minutes, sadly couldnt get a picture of the inside for the TR since the ops were trying to get people through as fast as possible.
21.jpg
I rode this between T Express tickets, another ride that is normally packed so I avoid it.
22.5.jpg
New for 2014 is Rio the 4D experience.
22.jpg
It's a new movie inside the old space tours building, for park index purposes it's still listed as Space Tours on the maps and website.
23.jpg
Queue area
24.jpg
Pre-Show
25.jpg
Main ride, I always think of 4D as a 3D movie with effects like vibrating seats, water, smells etc but both the main cinemas (I saw Frozen in 4D) and rides seem to always be just moving seats and wind blowers. The movie is just clips from the movie put together
26.jpg
I'm honestly now sure if it was always there or it was put in for Rio 4D but there are parrots in the garden next door now (I think before it may have been butterflies).
27.jpg
The new ride for last year was Lost Valley, we used our queue pass for it, it's still one of the busiest rides in the park and if it wasn't for queue pass i'd probably have never ridden it. Despite signs saying it's not allowed this ride has the worst line jumping i've ever seen in my life. It's the ride everyone runs to at park opening, it's at the bototm of the park and so many dads will run down and grab space in the lines before it opens and the mums will slowly make their way down the mountain. It's quietest at lunch but even then there was so much line pushing, i'm told its completely empty on weekdays though when children are at school.
28.jpg
Some of the zoo animals have been moved into the line so at least there is something to look at, the zoo seems to get emptier wach year as more animals are moved into the safari areas.
29.jpg
Chipmunks run along the queue line as well, this queue line is now Elissa approved.
30.jpg
The ride vehicle
31.jpg
backside of the ride vehicle
32.jpg
Our tour guide
33.jpg
This effect on the blank rocks was simple but looked really good.
34.jpg
Finished effect
35.jpg
Entering the lost valley
36.jpg
Sploosh
37.jpg
One of the first animals you will encounter is the elephants from the old herbivore safari attachment to the old safari ride.
38.jpg
39.jpg
40.jpg
OMG i've found the legendary animatronic hippo sanctuary
41.jpg
42.jpg
You can see the bus from the old safari ride in the background
43.jpg
44.jpg
The cheetahs that share with the rhinos and the white lions are the main draw to the ride, sadly both animals were asleep when we rode.
45.jpg
One last look at the vehicle
46.jpg
The old safari ride still pulls in pretty big lines even with the opening of Lost Valley
47.PNG
This cartoon was posted on Everlands facebook, my wife offered to translate but I honestly think it's funnier letting my mind making up its own version of the story. Part 2 to follow in a moment.
Last edited by Garet on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:23 am.

Re: Everland/Lotte World TR's 2014

Postby Garet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:20 am

Part 2
01.jpg
Our time for the K-Pop Hologram came up, my wife who is always stuck standing around while I take these pictures for updates complained she's never in them so here she is posing in the photo booth
02.jpg
End result for me
03.jpg
Photo booth area, sadly although I have photos of the attraction I was asked by a member of staff to put my camera away, although I saw other people taking photos and have seen blogs with the pictures I am not posting them in case it violates TPRS ToS. I think since my wife as at the back and I was walking around taking pictures of the area and there were a lot of little children I think a parent may have got concerned and complained even though my pictures are just the screen, either way to be safe I haven't posted. TBH it was a bit underwhelming it was a tilted mirror and projector to create the hologram effect but it was very 2D it just felt like watching a 5 minute music video, the bands just perform two songs.
04.jpg
All the gangnam style merchandise you can want.
05.jpg
I love the ride cycle on this, it flips around 13 times and seems pretty intense for a park model.
06.jpg
However this runs a slow cycle to the point where it's honestly a little uncomfortable and not really thrilling
07.jpg
08.PNG
My issue with the whole half day operations is that it makes the lines huge, this was on a weekend when I had planned to go out just to enjoy the park instead of blogging, weekdays are even worse with most of the park having small hours, kids rides with only 2 hour operations or closed completely
09.jpg
Still rusting away "as a memorial"
10.jpg
So many people 3 years later still asking the staff where the entrance is for the big wheel or if it will open later on
11.jpg
I still have never got around to riding this it normally has a wait time as big as or bigger than T Express, it also shuts its standby line and switches to reservation on a first come first served basis on busy days (and also is abused due to lack of scanning)
12.jpg
Since i'm married i'm now forced to ride this
13.jpg
14.jpg
At least this version has beer
15.jpg
More beer
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
Randomly between countrys we suddenly visit christmas and outer space
19.jpg
MURRICA
20.jpg
The everbody together ending is considerbly smaller on Everlands version
21.jpg
The gardens in Everland are always extremely pretty
22.jpg
I'm not sure if its permanent but this closed down and is re-opening tomorrow with a Thomas overlay. http://www.everland.com/web/multi/english/everland/attractions/1209973_11115.html

I thought i'd grab a picture of what it looked like.
23.jpg
I've been promising my wife we'd see this show for a while, i'm not sure how tied into the movies it is but I think it was based around the 3rd movie. It was mostly circus acts with only the lion and the hippo of the main 4 showing up (although the penguins and the lemur were there). There was also a mash up of I like to move it with the words afro circus being sung over and over.
24.jpg
The line for this dropped at the end of the day according to the app but so many people in the park were using the app that you have to be quick to get there. It seemed a bit more rapidy than last time I rode it which is definitely a good thing, it's never going to be intense since i've never been on a korean water ride where you actually get wet but it was a bit more fun than my last ride.
Last edited by Garet on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:41 am.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby BlahBlahson » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:34 am

So question...does the park now have TWO complete safari rides due to the fact that one was not enough? That's incredible if so.

Also, a request: Please do not post any pictures of Eagle's Fortress. They're too sad at this point.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

Postby Garet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:37 pm

BlahBlahson wrote:So question...does the park now have TWO complete safari rides due to the fact that one was not enough? That's incredible if so.

Also, a request: Please do not post any pictures of Eagle's Fortress. They're too sad at this point.

They do have two but i'm not quite sure that it's because one was not enough, the other one goes through the bears,tigers and lions and so is closed up with windows. This one is a lot more open since apart from the cheetahs and white lions which are a bit further away mostly goes through the herbivores and so are much more open.
People seem to really like the "amphibious vehicles" even though it's not really that deep and both of them give different experiences.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby BlahBlahson » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:10 pm

That's so strange to have built a second safari ride like that. I kind of love it.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:22 pm

BlahBlahson wrote:Also, a request: Please do not post any pictures of Eagle's Fortress. They're too sad at this point.

Actually, please DO post them. I'm very curious to know what it currently looks like.

Postby Garet » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:27 am

BlahBlahson wrote:That's so strange to have built a second safari ride like that. I kind of love it.

When I first came to Korea they had a herbivore safari attachment to the existing safari ride as the new ride for the year but it was quickly removed and a lot of the animals showed up in this new safari ride. Just a theory but and its just a theory I think capacity was the issue that made them go with a second one, when I go on really quiet days the old safari ride quite often has a bigger line than the new one and even on busy days they can match throughout the day. The old safari ride has lines and tigers and bears right next to the bus so the bus has to drive into a cage right at the start and between each exhibit have the door close and then wait for the next one to open to drive out so there has to be a gap between dispatches no matter how much expansion there was. Though a few animals can come up the bus on the new one with most of the animals either side of the "river" in pens there is just the one gate which is more for decoration at the start so buses can leave the second the guests are seated.

robbalvey wrote:
BlahBlahson wrote:Also, a request: Please do not post any pictures of Eagle's Fortress. They're too sad at this point.

Actually, please DO post them. I'm very curious to know what it currently looks like.

I honestly forgot to take some pictures of that area this time, the station area looks pretty much the same though and its very difficult to get pictures of the track are since the big wheel came down although you can still see it from the bigger rides obviously I can't take my camera on those. I will try and grab some pictures if I can get out soon, Everland is one of the very few parks which is actually quieter during summer weekends, a lot of the rides I hit with 30-hour lines in the spring will be walk-on to 10 minutes during parts of the summer days, a combination of the high heat, sticky humidity and low chances of thunderstorms in the july/august months makes less peopple go than spring and autumn. And I also want to look into the rumours of a q pass booklet form guest services near the foreigner ticket office if you go within 7 days of your birthday, although i'm not sure if thats something you have to apply for or can just show I.D. Work and weather may mean I can't make it sadly.

My Lotte World TR should be ready soon but since I didn't take pictures of that area and I saw it on screamscape, the new mini flume ride is actually opening in a few weeks its not actually a 2015 ride, the concept art makes it look like a highly themed family ride but by the looks of the pictures on the construction wall it looks to be something more exclusive for little children, you can see one of the pictures from the construction wall in the guide map: http://global.lotteworld.com/inc/module/etcDownload.asp?fno=2

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby la2lvtom » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:15 pm

It didn't dawn on me at first but that amphibious ride was used on Running Man episode 201, how exciting. Quick question, did you only see the PSY show in the KPOP hologram theater or did you see the Big Bang and/or 2NE1 also? how were they? I have read about them on the YG web site but didn't know they were at an amusement park.
Top 5 steel : 1. Nemesis (Alton Towers), 2. Millenium Force (Cedar Point), 3. Flying Dinosaur (Universal Studios Japan), 4. Incredible Hulk (IOA), 5. Parrot Coaster (Chimelong Ocean Kingdom)

Top 5 wood : 1. the Beast (Kings Island), 2. Wood Coaster (Knights Valley, Shenzhen China), 3. El Toro (Six Flags Great Adventure), 4. the Voyage (Holiday World) 5. Ghostrider (Knott's Berry Farm)

Postby Garet » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:47 am

la2lvtom wrote:It didn't dawn on me at first but that amphibious ride was used on Running Man episode 201, how exciting.

I don't know numbers but i'm pretty sure I know which episode you are referring too, I know just before Lost Valley opened they did a whole episode about them.

Quick question, did you only see the PSY show in the KPOP hologram theater or did you see the Big Bang and/or 2NE1 also? how were they? I have read about them on the YG web site but didn't know they were at an amusement park.

No, I'm not overly interested in K-Pop, I only saw PSY to get something for the park index, but as I said because I got told not to take pictures by a member of staff I didn't post them I think it was more a parent complaining than a rule for the ride since i've seen plenty of pictures in other blogs but i'm just playing it safe by TPR's ToS. Honestly it wasn't as impressive as it sounds, it honestly felt more like watching a move than a hologram since it was a projector on a tilted screen there was no 3D movement just side to side movement. To give you an idea you may have seen a few of these in some museums before built into some dioramas, this was just a bigger screen.

In other news, Lotte World opened their new Fairy Trail Dream Boat ride today, its definitely made for small kids and parents, there's also a wall with a picture saying Wild Tours coming soon, could be a hint to the next attraction. The area is under the Underland banner on the guide maps. Underland is mostly themed entrances to the existing shopping mall restaurants but with the new ride it bring the areas ride count up to 2 (with the already existing 4D shooting ride) and hopefully wild tours will lead to another next year. It'll probably be a while before I update since the construction walls were up when I visited in the TR i'm currently working on but a Korean blogger I really like made this fantastic update: http://szsup.tistory.com/635

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby la2lvtom » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:19 pm

Well consider me officially jealous, it must be fun living in Korea. I for one am a fan of everything Korea, I am a fan of KPOP and Korean Dramas and variety shows. I have watched every episode of Running Man and I am amazed by how many different parks they have filmed at throughout Korea. Have you been to the park in Gyeongju, I don't know the name of it they just called it "G" amusement park (it was featured in the first Running Man Hunter episode)? It looks small but it has a nice looking B&M suspended coaster.
Top 5 steel : 1. Nemesis (Alton Towers), 2. Millenium Force (Cedar Point), 3. Flying Dinosaur (Universal Studios Japan), 4. Incredible Hulk (IOA), 5. Parrot Coaster (Chimelong Ocean Kingdom)

Top 5 wood : 1. the Beast (Kings Island), 2. Wood Coaster (Knights Valley, Shenzhen China), 3. El Toro (Six Flags Great Adventure), 4. the Voyage (Holiday World) 5. Ghostrider (Knott's Berry Farm)

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!