TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 45: New Zootopia details!

The concept of having a permanent show in residence on an amusement resort isn't really all that new. Downtown Disney has had a permanent Cirque du Soleil show in residence that's been running for 16 years, and Universal CityWalk has had a permanent production of Blue Man Group running since 2007. Also, Resorts World Sentosa (the complex that Universal Studios Singapore is a part of) has a resident production of a musical called Voyage de la Vie. So a permanent production of The Lion King at SDL is pretty much the same idea. I think it's a great idea, and if ticket sales start to wane after a number of years (which I doubt would be a problem) they could always switch out the production for any of the other Disney musicals.

• 3 weeks later...

Cirque de Soleil's ZED was The One for Tokyo Disneyland, yet a huge theatre to fill,

massive electrical set-ups, which is no stranger to a Cirque show... but the locals

couldn't keep up the support with really expensive seats...and then an earthquake in

2011 helped supposedly put it out of it's (glorious) misery that fall.

I got to see it, thanks TDL!, in 2011 before it was closed up, leaving only the shell of

a HUGE theatre to deal with.

Bon Chance to this one. Hope it works out for everybody especially the gp and Disney.

1042978534_ResizeofIMG_2888.JPG.7d5c984e9f26dc64a0ba796de76e4212.JPG

All that's left of ZED. )o: (Taken on the TPR Japan tour, 2013)

• 4 weeks later...

Disney & More.com just posted some concept art for the two hotels currently being

built in time for SDL's opening. The odd one of the two is definitely the Toy Story Hotel.

They show a night model shot and interior of this hotel as well.

Looks interesting, and probably the lesser priced of the two hotels, so far.

Hotel01.jpg.d454868a3a44cbae9174c4b30f733ac5.jpg

The Main Hotel, opposite the Park, with a lake between them.

Hotel02.jpg.4a76907e462ed80bdb9f1c948d6c0899.jpg

The second, Toy Story Hotel, with it's odd shape, and the TRON Coaster show building behind it!

Hotel03.jpg.c257e93732af8ff6915fb84bb6e0ed78.jpg

Night shot of the concept art, and interior of one of the rooms. Looks nice to me.

Edited by Nrthwnd

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.eturbonews.com/48634/philippe-gas-named-general-manager-shanghai-disney-resort

Euro Disney SCA today announced the nomination of Tom Wolber to the position of Président of Euro Disney SAS, the management company of both Euro Disney SCA, the holding company, and Euro Disney Associés SCA, the operator of Disneyland® Paris, in replacement of Philippe Gas named General Manager of Shanghai Disney Resort.

"One of our greatest assets is the global strength of our teams," said Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "Both Philippe and Tom are seasoned Disney veterans with a tremendous combination of leadership skills, business acumen, and international experience that will help ensure that we carry on our legacy of creating unforgettable experiences for our guests. They bring an incredible depth of operational experience to their respective roles and are well positioned to contribute to the future success of Shanghai Disney Resort and Disneyland Resort Paris".

"On behalf of all Supervisory Board members, I would like to thank Philippe for the excellent collaboration we had together and for his personal involvement in Euro Disney during the last 6 years," said Virginie Calmels, chairman of Euro Disney Supervisory Board. "We are very proud that The Walt Disney Company has chosen Philippe, a French top executive, to lead a huge and strategic project such as Shanghai Disney Resort. We also welcome Tom and wish him a lot of success in his new function."

Tom's appointment will be effective in September 2014. He will transition into this new role during the summer, working with Philippe to ensure continued commitment to the company's long term strategic priorities.

Tom is German and speaks 4 languages: French, Dutch, English and German. He returns to Disneyland Paris, which he helped to open in 1992 and brings more than 20 years of wide-ranging operations experience including leadership positions at Disney Cruise Line, Disney Vacation Club and both Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Paris. He most recently served as the head of Walt Disney World Resort and Transportation Operations, overseeing all of the 28 resort hotels and the property's extensive transportation network. He has also overseen a number of complex expansion projects, including the successful launch of the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy and was instrumental in the Disney Springs master plan and the continued growth of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts' sports business.

Amazing news for Paris, dreadful news for Shanghai!

It baffles me how the guy who has been at the helm of DLPR while the attendance has dropped, the hotels have literally fallen apart, the Disney Village and Lac Disney area has turned into a complete shambles, etc. has been given the General Manager role at Disneys newest resort? Am I missing something?

• 2 weeks later...

MiceAge is reporting that the Shanghai resort will not be ready to open until April 2016 at the earliest.

micechat.com/77851-marvel-at-disneyland-resort/

The construction of Shanghai Disneyland is well underway, as the structural steel for the massive show buildings grow from former bean fields. Unfortunately, the entire Shanghai Disneyland project has been struggling with massive delays and setbacks for over a year now. The problems stem from the slow and questionable workmanship of the Chinese contractors and the mountains of red tape (no pun intended) the local bureaucrats keep throwing at any request or proposal from Imagineering.

Instead, the park’s opening has slipped until April, 2016 at the earliest, and Summer 2016 is not impossible.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I heard they were building Tron Lightcycles Power Run I have been very excited. I will not be able to make it there but hope we continue to get more pics. Has there been any mention or pics of the LightCycles yet? I am very anxious to see what they will look like. It would be even more fantastic to see this ride come to the U.S.

• 2 weeks later...

This is from Disney & More...

Today, we’re excited to bring you some news from China. On Saturday, Shanghai Disney Resort made its first appearance in the Annual Shanghai Tourism Festival parade.

Shanghai-.float00.jpeg.8324c1b5246e6de3164ddd8e950e681e.jpeg

The Shanghai Tourism Festival Parade is a night one. Cool!

Shanghai-.float01.jpeg.c2873f7426261a40e0656589862e7184.jpeg

Looks busy, without giving anything about the park itself, away. (o;

Does anyone know if they plan to use Magic Bands and the My Disney Experience at Shanghai Disneyland when it opens? If they do plan to expand that service to other parks eventually (which I'm sure they do) it seems like it would be a lot easier to open Shanghai with the system from day one instead of trying to introduce it at some time in the future.