TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

EDIT: I guess that Darth's Mall has been moved to Soundstage 1, which is between Toy Story and Studio Back-Lot Tour. In previous years it had been by Rock 'n Roller. Anyone have insight as to reason why, or is the space just bigger, therefore allowing the selling of more stuff?

Not 100% with regard to the limited stuff, but I don't think that's going to be an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a Disney Annual Passholder email advertising a special hard ticket event at Disney's Hollywood Studios. "Unleash The Villains" August 23rd, 8pm-1am. See below for the events offerings.

I'm thinking by making this a hard ticket event it should make crowd controls a lot better than last year's limited time magic Friday the 13th event that was included with the daytime admission. Passholders and DVC members can pre-order tickets by calling 407-939-1933. Tickets go on sale to the general public June 9th.

"As night falls on August 23, over 50 of the most notorious Disney villains will emerge from their lairs and unleash fun all over Disney's Hollywood Studios® until the 13th hour! And, because you are a Passholder, we wanted you to be one of the first to "show your Disney villain side" and get tickets for this special one-night-only event!

Over 50 villains in one Park

For one night only, over 50 Disney villains will come together to roam the streets of Disney's Hollywood Studios®, put on scary fun performances, and party until the 13th hour.

Villainy in the Skies

The villains will unleash their powers into the night sky for a special themed fireworks display. Don't forget to pick up your limited-edition Glow with the Show Ears to complete the experience.

Oogie Boogie Variety Show

Guests can oogie-boogie down to Theatre of the Stars to see Mr. Oogie Boogie host a special variety show crawling with entertainment.

Hades Hangout and Dance Party

Rub shoulders with the ruler of the Underworld and dance the night away with his party crew—DJ Igg Nite, the Underworld Dancers and more.

Star Wars™ Villain Zone

Guests can unleash their dark side in a special zone filled with some of the most feared villains in the Galactic Empire.

"Ex-Scream" Makeovers

"Show your Disney villain side" and get your face painted to look just like one of your favorite Disney villains!

Villainous food, drink and merchandise

Enjoy mischievous treats and remember the night of villainy for years to come with villain-themed merchandise (not included with price of ticket).

Extended Attraction Hours

Up to 10 Disney's Hollywood Studios® attractions will be running until 1 a.m. Beware the villains who may be lurking around some of your favorite attractions."

1605827397_ScreenShot2014-06-05at3_14_20PM.thumb.png.dcf238d14cead6ef308f2c32e8c69c3c.png

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/06/guardians-of-the-galaxy-sneak-peek-landing-in-disney-parks-july-4/

From the studio that brought you “The Avengers” comes a new team. They call themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy, and they’re the crew at the epicenter of one of this summer’s biggest movie events. Starting July 4, “Guardians of the Galaxy” is coming to Disney Parks with an exclusive sneak peek, offering guests an extended look at the film before it opens in theaters.

At Disneyland park in California, you can catch this limited time intergalactic preview in 3D with special in-theater effects at the Magic Eye Theater in Tomorrowland, where Captain EO is typically shown. Captain EO is expected to return at a later date.

For those of you visiting Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, you’ll be able to experience the cosmic adventure of “Guardians of the Galaxy” at the ABC Sound Studio at Disney’s Hollywood Studios presented in spectacular RealD 3D, a new dimension of entertainment.

“Guardians of the Galaxy” finds space adventurer Peter Quill the object of a bounty hunt after stealing an orb coveted by a treacherous villain, but when Quill discovers the power it holds, he must find a way to rally the quartet of ragtag rivals hot on his trail to save the universe.

“Guardians of the Galaxy,” releases in U.S. theaters on August 1, 2014.

image.thumb.jpg.17c6c5c8d08eca52edf9bc6ea15ff068.jpg

I have a couple questions regarding Tower of Terror at DHS. It's one of my favorite rides but it has been a while since I last rode it. I know there are multiple elevator shafts, so does that mean there are multiple hallway and 5th dimension rooms within the tower I'm assuming? Also, what is the little ghost girl saying in the hallway scene? She's mumbling something but it's hard to understand.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/american-idol-experience-disneys-hollywood-studios-closing-early-2015/

The American Idol Experience attraction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be shutting down in early January 2015.

Although Disney hasn’t officially announced it yet (See the update below.), Idol cast members were told the show would be limiting the number of daily shows starting in mid-July, then closing the show completely the first week of January 2015.

The show, which opened in 2009, allowed park guests to try out to perform for other guests and to compete for the Golden Ticket, which allowed them to skip the line at an “American Idol” television show audition. Many “American Idol” finalists got their start at the attraction over the years.

UPDATE: Walt Disney World Resort, FremantleMedia and 19 Entertainment have released this joint statement:

“After more than five successful years, The American Idol Experience will be coming to a close at Disney’s Hollywood Studios theme park in January 2015. Our partnership with FremantleMedia and 19 Entertainment has been a great addition to the park and we are very appreciative of the amazing cast and guests who have devoted their time and talent to make this experience special and memorable. We are incredibly proud of the more than 2,000 Dream Tickets that have given guests a chance to live their very own Cinderella story and audition for ‘American Idol’. This past season alone, three of the Top 13 contestants were originally discovered through The American Idol Experience and we expect the attraction to continue providing top contestants for ‘American Idol’ XIV in the coming year.”

Edited by jedimaster1227

This may have something to do with the rumored Star Wars area. Hopefully.

I was thinking the same thing - especially with the theater next door vacant (other than movie previews), there's nothing in their way of taking over Echo Lake. Now I'll just be curious to see how they handle Indiana Jones.

This may have something to do with the rumored Star Wars area. Hopefully.

Or the fact American Idol's popularity in general has gone way down over the last few years.

Hmm--possibly both. Who can say?

I won't miss American Idol, but I've always enjoyed my time watching the Indiana Jones show. Sure, it was a bit cheesed up and drawn out, but the whole thing was still pretty fun. I'm sure if they both go, whatever goes in its place will be better.

^I'm hoping for a new-and-improved version of the Indiana Jones ride, myself. The original version in California is great, and the one in Tokyo improved on it.

I won't miss American Idol, but I've always enjoyed my time watching the Indiana Jones show. Sure, it was a bit cheesed up and drawn out, but the whole thing was still pretty fun. I'm sure if they both go, whatever goes in its place will be better.

Yeah, the Indiana Jones show was one of the highlights of my past visit to the Studio. I would rather see the Backlot Tour leave instead.

I've heard about American Idol closing, which I'm not at all complaining about, they just need to do something constructive with the space that is going to be vacant. Also, from @WDWNT (WDW News Today) as of June 16th, Indy isn't going anywhere as Disney confirmed to their cast members that morning.

While I think Indy needs some updating with more fireworks and explosions, it's a classic staple of Hollywood Studios and I would be sad to see it go!

Never liked the American Idol experience, so I'm glad to see that go. The Backlot Tour should also go, as it's been cut down so much and it's not even a working studio anymore. I can't remember the last time I saw the Indiana Jones show. Did they ever update it? It was the exact same for so many years that I stopped going. I agree with Chuck, a new and improved Indiana Jones would be awesome!

^ Nope! It's still the same show since it opened way back when...

I also agree about the backlot tour. We decided to skip doing it this year for two reasons a) it was raining both days we went to the park so it was closed and b) its the same every year and significantly cut down from when it first opened. I remember going back in the 90s when half of it was a walk-through attraction and the latter half was the tram tour. I clearly recall one of the soundstages (possibly where Millionaire went) having the Wheel of Fortune set in place for several weeks of live tapings which I thought was pretty cool back then!

Now... it's so boring quickly driving through the backstage area of Hollywood Studios and then zipping over to Catasrophe Canyon which also hasn't changed since it opened and right back to the unload station. They've also moved to a recorded narration of the ride and gotten rid of the 'tour guides.' Thanks but I'll continue to pass.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/06/get-ready-to-experience-frozen-summer-fun-live-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

Like Olaf, have you ever closed your eyes and imagined yourself in another place? In summer, maybe? At Walt Disney World Resort? Or perhaps in the snow-covered kingdom of Arendelle, from Disney’s instant classic, “Frozen.” Why not all three?! After all, the hot and the cold are both so intense, if you put them together it just makes sense! And that’s just what we’re doing as part of an incredible new experience.

This summer, the world of “Frozen” takes center stage at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. We’re opening up the gates July 5 for a summer-long happening, featuring a full day of all-new, immersive “Frozen” experiences you won’t want to miss, every day through September 1!

Here are some of the highlights:

• Olaf on Summer Vacation – Olaf the snowman is having the time of his life on his very first summer vacation! He chimes in throughout the day to keep everyone updated on all his adventures. Plus, you can pick up your very own Take-Along Olaf from locations in the park, so he can join you on your summer vacation. And when you share your photos with Olaf on social media, be sure to tag them with #OlafSummerVacation. They may just get selected to appear in that day’s grand finale!
  • Anna and Elsa’s Royal Welcome – At 11:00 a.m. each day, Elsa and Anna arrive in Hollywood as part of their goodwill tour of neighboring kingdoms, making their way down Hollywood Boulevard in a horse-drawn sleigh. Kristoff is along for the fun, too, joined by a flurry of skaters, skiiers, ice cutters and more! The entire procession culminates in a special moment at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage to officially welcome the visiting royalty to this kingdom of Hollywoodland.
  • For the First Time in Forever: A “Frozen” Sing-Along Celebration – Cool down inside the Premiere Theater, where Anna and Elsa join the Royal Historians of Arendelle for a fun and comedic retelling of the unique history of their Kingdom, filled with delightful, sing-along moments from “Frozen.”
  • Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post & Frozen Funland – Inside Soundstage One, Oaken and his cousins have created a Frozen Funland filled with cold weather activities, unique photo opportunities, and more! There’s a frozen pond with ice skating demonstrations, wintertime fun for kids in the “Do You Want to Build a Snowman?” play area, a “big summer blowout” with plenty of “Frozen” merchandise, and special “Frozen”-inspired food and beverage offerings.
  • “Coolest Summer Ever” Dance Party – Starting at 5:30 p.m. each day, a dance party takes over the area around the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage, with a DJ, live band, and more! The band plays a variety of classic and contemporary summer rock & roll hits, as well as a cool, rocking medley of “Frozen” favorites. It’s going to be hot!
  • “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”

I don’t know if I’m elated or … well, you know!

If you’re somewhere in that zone, like me, you’re already bursting with anticipation for “Frozen Summer Fun – Live at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.” Starting July 5, the sky will be blue, and you guys will be there, too! It’s going to be a great summer for snowmen, royalty, and anyone who’s a fan of “Frozen!”

image.thumb.jpg.2b632b3dcbe7c09c2a2a0d8d61a676de.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227