TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Sorry I couldnt get out today. I actually got called in to jury duty vs. stand by-phone in. I sat in that office for 3 hours dreaming of airtime

It's ok, I had to cut my visit short anyways.

So I have a mini trip report from Tuesday.

When I arrived at the park I saw an abundance of school busses (ugh). Luckily the park was pretty empty besides the hoards of school kids in the park. My first order of business was a ride on Goldstriker and after a 45 minute wait I was on. It was just as a I remembered, fast paced with pops of air throughout. It seems that they removed all the graffiti in the queue aside from the handrails.

After I went and processed my season pass, I was pleased to see they now have computers to put your information in the system instead of filling out little cards.

I only spent a few hours in the park but managed 3 rides on Goldstriker, I could have gotten more but I had to leave.

Delirium was down for the day and HMB Endeavor was as well. It seems that the hydraulics that lower the platform for Delirium were being worked on.

And my courtesy ride on The Demon was strangely smooth.

Now on to the few pics I took

image.thumb.jpg.584bac26ef658a6d49472323e8de8f5c.jpg

Obligatory look at the shiny new stadium next door photo

image.thumb.jpg.444139eeff26ba63e54ecaf85c5bd0cb.jpg

First stop of the day

image.thumb.jpg.4edc4c8dc027e3212d53fdb4423a4077.jpg

Restraints were rather tight on my ride this time

image.thumb.jpg.9bdf69a34b2a92dc994b1d83c3b634f8.jpg

Must. Have. That. Minion.

image.thumb.jpg.dd132114e7bc6e79580fdbfee179e2a1.jpg

I guess I'll settle for the smaller minion...

image.thumb.jpg.bee83a2ddfba8676ca7eaeb4648ee9a6.jpg

Weeeeee!

image.thumb.jpg.fcabfb12030f540275104e061052a5d2.jpg

Not today!

image.thumb.jpg.ab79e209da60e1ddfb965d12511aa631.jpg

Bet you've never seen a picture like this one

image.thumb.jpg.a35fec1001f1a43958d0391c5aee4d75.jpg

Platform is down and angled. My guess is the hydraulics.

image.thumb.jpg.dc14fa8085f82f415c83cbccafee8b11.jpg

I close out my report with a *sigh*

Delirium was down for the day and HMB Endeavor was as well. It seems that the hydraulics that lower the platform for Delirium were being worked on.

I was just there yesterday. Endeavor was back up and running, but Delirium was still down. I was looking forward to riding that, but hopefully I'll get it later this summer.

It was my first visit at the park and I really enjoyed it. The park has an awesome one-two punch in Flight Deck and Gold Striker. Then I really enjoyed the overall atmosphere of the park. Crowds were manageable and well-behaved and the park was exceptionally clean. I have quite a few photos to upload later this week.

I was just there yesterday. Endeavor was back up and running.

Looks like I may have to go make a visit and get a ride in (or two)!

I think that this is the on-going project refurbishing the picnic pavilion, which will include a new entrance directly in to the pavilion area from the parking lot.

"Centurion" is a name registered by Cedar Fair, allegedly for a future attraction at a park in the chain.

Why is Grizzly considered the worst woodie in the world? It is horribly boring, but not very rough. I'm sure other woodies offer more unpleasant experiences.

I finally rode it a few days ago, and I feel the same way. I think it's just a fun little joke that enthusiasts have caught on to, rather than anyone's real opinion - I've been on about 250 coasters so far, and there are significantly worse ones out there. No competition at all.

How did that name get suspended? I haven't heard anything about that. I'm thinking pipe scream attraction. They could use something spinning.

1) They already have a Mega Disk-O', Tiki Whirl.

2) 2015: Could it be a Star Flyer? WindSeekers won't work because of there single rail system and that's against the single rail system law in California.

3) Centurion got suspended back in February because Centurion, Inc in Libertyville, Illinois already owns the trademark to it. 325 foot giga coaster called Fury 325 for Carowinds 2015!!

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86094874&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86094874&docId=SUL20140204122218#docIndex=0&page=1

worst wooden, the beast or gwazi. the beast kills your knees and I'm 5'5 and gwazi well if you were a girl its more understandable.

The stuff in the picnic pavilion is just it getting expanded so there is more shaded seating simple as that guys. Sometimes things are that simple.

2) 2015: Could it be a Star Flyer? WindSeekers won't work because of there single rail system and that's against the single rail system law in California.

Why would CGA get a star flyer when SFDK has one?

Why is Grizzly considered the worst woodie in the world? It is horribly boring, but not very rough. I'm sure other woodies offer more unpleasant experiences.

I finally rode it a few days ago, and I feel the same way. I think it's just a fun little joke that enthusiasts have caught on to, rather than anyone's real opinion - I've been on about 250 coasters so far, and there are significantly worse ones out there. No competition at all.

I suspect part of it might be people getting angry at the ridiculously slow operations - waiting 30 minutes in the station, sitting in the brake run so long that they have an operator doing standup over the PA to keep you occupied. After all that waiting for such a boring coaster I think people come off with worse opinions than the ride experience itself deserves.

I don’t think I’ve been to the park before when they’ve had the season pass early entry Saturdays. Is it a lot more crowded those days? Thanks.

Someone I know went last saturday and the ERT was a complete ghost town. Repeated walkons for both Gold Striker and Flight Deck with almost completely empty stations. If you want consecutive rides or the ability to pick your row on Gold Striker, the ERT is the way to go. It is a Saturday however, so after the park opens to the public it will be busier than usual, so that's the tradeoff. Of course you should have multiple rides on the two longest lines, so its probably worth it.

CGA does not have a 150 foot limit like SFDK so they could make it 301 ft.

^I was wondering the same thing. And if this law is a California law, then why did Knott's have one at one point?

The law came in effect AFTER Knott's installed it and it was inspected for the 1st time. Then, after the breakdown, the state of CA refused to sign off so CF decided to send it to WOF.

CGA does not have a 150 foot limit like SFDK so they could make it 301 ft.

CGA does have height limits in place, if I am not mistaken, it is the height of Drop Tower (around 225 feet) due to the proximity of the San Jose Airport, the same issue keeps height limits for Downtown San Jose.