Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1436: Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure news
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby Koasterking48 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Man, that overflow queue for Gringotts really takes you out of the "immersive experience."
image.jpg

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby chargersmichael » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:57 am

I saw Jimmy Fallon last night and am even more excited for the new Diagon Alley at Universal. There is a new youtube video that shows the magic windows and casting spells! I will be at the park tomorrow. I'm sure they will announce the opening day later this week but do you think there will be any passholder previews like they did for Transformers?? The detail in this new land is incredible and can't wait any longer for it to open!

Here is the video with the magic windows and cast spelling!

Here is information about the new interactive wands!

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/interactive-wands-the-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter/?social_id=social_20140617_26141036

Wands at the ready!

As a self-proclaimed Potter super-fan (I’m a Ravenclaw, if you were curious), there’s nothing I wanted to do more than cast a spell after watching the Harry Potter films. And now, I finally can!

With the correct incantations and motions, you’ll be able to cast spells throughout The Wizarding World of Harry Potter with new Interactive Wands that you can purchase from Ollivanders wand shops in both Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade. You’ll also get a map that marks all the locations throughout The Wizarding World of Harry Potter where you can put your new wand to use.

Pick up an Interactive Wand at a store in Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade, then look for bronze medallions embedded in the street that mark the various shop windows where you can cast spells. Once you’re there, just perform the correct spell and watch the magic come to life.

With a simple swish and flick, you can levitate a feather quill at Scribbulus…

Use a Silencing Charm to quiet the maddening song of the Fwooper bird at Magical Menagerie…

And light all the lamps and chandeliers in Flimflam’s Lanterns window…

We couldn’t think of anyone better to show us these incredible new Interactive Wands than cast members from the Harry Potter films – check out this video to see James and Oliver Phelps (Fred and George Weasley) and Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley) try out the Interactive Wands for the first time in Diagon Alley.
Roller Coaster Count: 140
| Millennium Force | | Skyrush | | Top Thrill Dragster | | Kingda Ka | | Maverick | | El Toro | | Mako | | Apollo's Chariot | | Storm Runner | | Nitro | | Incredible Hulk |

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby nickbuol » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:10 am

I wonder how much the wands cost...

We were there last year as well as the year that they opened the Harry Potter stuff at IOA, my youngest bought a couple of wands then, and I can only imagine that these things will be pricey. The logical side of me says that we already have a couple of wands, and we don't need another, but my youngest (who is now 15) may think otherwise.

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:35 am

The paths in Diagon Alley look twice as cramped as Hogsmeade. How are people supposed to stand in the middle of a crowd of people and cast a spell?
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby EricGarbo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:40 am

I just had this weird thought in my head comparing this addition to Expedition Everest. I hope we don't end up with a failing animatronic dragon and have to refer to it as 'Disco Dragon.'

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby ScreaminNewEngland » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:03 pm

I feel like this is going to disastrous with all these people in such a compact area.
Yankee Cannonball <3

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:33 pm

ScreaminNewEngland wrote:I feel like this is going to disastrous with all these people in such a compact area.

It's set up so they'll be able to limit the amount of people who will be allowed into the area. They'll have a maximum occupancy and they'll abide by it by limiting access.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:29 pm

So I'm here for the Universal Orlando Media/VIP Week going on to highlight The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley, along with the grand opening of Universal and Loew's newest hotel, the Cabana Bay Beach Resort. The event will be covering many aspects of the resort's recent (and possibly future) developments, but will definitely have a focus on The Wizarding World of Harry Potter's latest expansion, that will double the size of the Harry Potter presence at the resort, in addition to linking the two parks together via an immersive transportation/attraction experience.

Along with getting to experience all of this, Theme Park Review was invited to stay at the Cabana Bay Beach Resort in order to experience firsthand all that the newest hotel property on-site has to offer!
001.JPG
The lobby has a very retro feel to it and I love it!
002.JPG
This is gorgeous!
003.JPG
The Swizzle Lounge will likely be a stop for me later this week...
004.JPG
Even the Universal Gift Shop got the retro treatment!
005.JPG
Retro branded candies! My head's about to explode!!!
006.JPG
So snazzy!
007.JPG
That's right folks. You can get your Starbucks cravings satisfied without leaving the hotel. I just wish they had a Teavana to go with it for us non-coffee drinkers.
008.JPG
The Starbucks pays tribute to Florida history with its unique mermaid murals, inspired by the original Weeki Wachee mermaids from back in the day...
009.JPG
Dude!
010.JPG
Galaxy Bowl is actually modeled after the bowling alley from the Big Lebowski, if you'd believe it.
011.JPG
Come check it out!
012.JPG
I'm a staircase fanatic... This one is quite nice.
013.JPG
The Cabana Bay Beach Resort is also home to the world's first Jake LaLanne Physical Fitness Studio.
014.JPG
A tribute to the man, the myth, the legend...
015.JPG
You can even see him from back in his heyday while working out in the studio!
016.JPG
Arcade fans will surely love the Game-O-Rama arcade's selection!
017.JPG
The Bayliner Diner is a huge quick service dining venue open for lunch and dinner at the resort!
018.JPG
They even have ICEE service here!
019.JPG
Like an old-style drive in, there are movies on the lawn in the evenings at Cabana Bay Beach.
020.JPG
So nifty!
021.JPG
A sand play area for the family.
022.JPG
Looking back towards the lobby building...
023.JPG
There's a fire pit for cold nights and warm smores.
024.JPG
Cabanas are available for rent near the Cabana Bay Beach Resort's main pool... Go figure.
025.JPG
I love the inclusion of real sand surrounding the pool area!
026.JPG
There's a water play area for the young'uns.
027.JPG
What could this be?
028.JPG
The pool's waterslide dumps into the pool beneath the faux diving board.
029.JPG
Kudos for the attention to detail!
030.JPG
Very retro. Very awesome!
031.JPG
I'll definitely be visiting this during the week!
032.JPG
Could you guess my reaction when I saw this?
033.JPG
It was something like this.
034.JPG
We were fortunate enough to be hosted in one of the resort's family suites. Here is the living room with the convertible sofa.
035.JPG
Oooh! Goodies!!!
036.JPG
Thank you Universal! Looking forward to all that is in store for the week!
037.JPG
A look at the main bedroom.
038.JPG
And looking back. Notice that the divider can be used to split off the living room from this one.
039.JPG
Kudos for attention to detail and history!
040.JPG
I can't wait to see what Universal has in store for us over the next few days!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby necoastergp » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:30 pm

I like how the gift basket at the end had something for each of the new attractions opened over the last few years, nice touch. Can't wait to see Diagon Alley in person looking forward to the media coverage. Hoping to swing a weekend trip late September for HHN and to see Diagon Alley.
Coasters: 106 (Steel:90 Wood:16) Parks:19

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Love the shout out to The Big Lebowski!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!