Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Coney Island Development Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:16 pm

thenewzolt wrote:Going to be heading to the park for the first time Monday. Is there parking near the park? Can I do everything with the 4 hour wristband?

Cheapest parking is in paid spot where there used to be meters but now you have to walk to a kiosk (which takes cash or credit card) get a ticket and put that paid parking ticket on your dashboard, but you might have to return to refill as not all machines allow for more than 2 hours of parking. There are some spots on the street a block or two away, but they can be hard to find with alternate side of the street parking rules. The parking signs also don't always make perfect sense. Parking tickets run about $50 in New York and you will be ticketed if parked illegally.

4 hours is plenty of time on the wristband at Luna Park. Most rides should be walk-ons as public elementary and middle schools have not let out let. Then again you might get stuck on a day where a public school or two takes a field trip to Coney Island. Although you might not need 4 hours at Luna Park, you could spend more time at Coney Island with the other attractions not on the Luna Park wristband. Deno's WonderWheel park has the iconic WonderWheel and SpookHouse (and a kiddie coaster) Scream Zone has three coasters when you count Thunderbolt. There are a few independent rides like Saturn 6, El Dorado bumper cars and the restored B&B Carousell that are worth trying if you like that type of stuff.

To get the whole Coney Island experience try Totonnos Pizza at 1524 Neptune Avenue (they only sell whole pies and it is cash only).

And if you are a real credit whore don't forget the Wacky Worm at Adventurers FEC which is only one exit away on the highway.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Devins3 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:01 am

Just got home a bit ago and managed to get out and ride Thunderbolt today. I gotta say that this ride was really good, exceeded my expectations. It wasn't rough at all and the pacing was really good. Something I found unique and smart was the clamshell part of the restraint is actually on a swivel and swings freely, this allows the entire restraint to be in contact with your lap and makes it very comfortable. Those airtime hills give some serious air as does the turn around, it is a very stellar ride and I would recommend people get out and check it out. Snapped a couple pictures from my phone, the ride was down due to fireworks from the baseball game so I didn't manage to get the night ride I wanted.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:31 pm

Devins3 wrote: Something I found unique and smart was the clamshell part of the restraint is actually on a swivel and swings freely, this allows the entire restraint to be in contact with your lap and makes it very comfortable.

OMG I'm so becoming a coaster designer! (Just kidding) No, really, I had actually imagined that before while I was thinking of a way to "fix" skyrush's restraints. I just wasn't sure it was doable.
Great to hear it wasn't rough as the POV led to believe.
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

Nobody beats the Ziz

Postby canadianparkfan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Guess Zamperla's come along way from a volar, huh?
Top 5 Steel Coasters:
1: Le Vampire, La Ronde 2: Mindbender, Galaxyland 3: Tie: Behemoth, Canada's Wonderland -- Goliath, La Ronde 4: Leviathan, Canada's Wonderland 5: Skyrider R.I.P. :(, Canada's Wonderland

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:30 pm

Next week I'm visiting SFNE and Lake Compounce. I'm glad I had a flex day at the end so I could squeeze in a visit to Coney Island to try this thing. It looks awesome.

The POV looked great, but it also reaffirmed everything I hate about fisheye lenses on video cameras lol.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby kidmanboy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:33 am

I got a chance to ride it yesterday and have to say it greatly exceeded my expectations. Some of the transitions were a bit jerky, but it was still smoother than I expected given Zamperla's history. The turnaround element and the final corkscrew provided some great sensations. I rode in the front middle seat and the final corkscrew felt like I always imagined the B&M heartline roll is supposed to feel - you float and the car just rotates around you. There's also a few great airtime moments and there is a fantastic view of the Manhattan skyline from the top of the lift. It's a great addition to the park, and on opening weekend late on a Sunday afternoon, the wait was only about 30 minutes with two cars running.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby thenewzolt » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:47 am

I am at the park now and I am being told thunderbolt won't open today..

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Looty » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:03 am

Does this newest Coney Island attraction also bump your ass off??

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby jetsplumber » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:16 pm

thenewzolt wrote:I am at the park now and I am being told thunderbolt won't open today..

why?

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby thenewzolt » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:32 pm

Thunderbolt did not open today. There were guys from the manufacturer working on it all day. How disappointing to drive all the way there and pay for parking and everything and it not be open.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!