California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

P. 1176: Cedar Fair complete park land purchase!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby laqueefa » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:59 pm

Swornenemy wrote:Good trip report. I'm gonna be heading out on Tuesday to get my Goldstriker fix. If I can remember to take some pictures I will put together a report myself.

What time are you thinking of heading out? I might have a Muay Thai session that day and will be pretty close to the park before work.

CoasterBeagle wrote:That was just an off day and I'm suprised they don't make the goldstriker crew clean graffiti last year we had to do it.

I'm sure it was an off day for rides (just my luck), but I am also surprised that none of the graffiti was cleaned off Goldie. Honestly, NeverWet is an anti-graffitists wet dream and parks should be covered with it from head to toe. In fact, any park visitor who loves water rides but hates getting wet should NeverWet their park attire and go nuts!
Tigga, please!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:53 am

Great trip report. The park looks so much better now than it did when I was there in 2001. I agree that the first photo of Gold Striker is awesome.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:18 am

Great Report!

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:07 am

Great TR! Very entertaining.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby kailisun98 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:25 am

Wouldn't it be awesome if they tore down the amphitheater and inserted an intamin megalite? Well, they would have to relocate a few rides but...
Top 5 Steel: 1. Outlaw Run @ SDC 2. Flight Deck@CGA 3. X2@ SFMM 4. Medusa@ SFDK 5.YOLOcoaster @ SFMM
Top 3 Wooden: 1. El Toro@ SFGA 2.Gold Striker @ CGA 3. Apocolypse@ SFMM 4. "High Five"@ OCT Wuhan
Total Coaster Count: Wooden: 15 Steel: 143 Total: 158

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Stealth7E7 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:27 am

I rode Gold Striker during the filming shoot last year (I think it was last year) but I don't remember the ride having some many sides up on the ride. Does anyone know why or when it was done?

I used to visit Great America a lot when I was younger, but when they removed Stealth and put in the water park that just turned me away from the park. They didn't invest in new rides for a while and the crowds that go there (this was a while back of course) just turned me off from visiting the park. I wished they would do more with the park to make it more exciting for roller coaster fans, but they haven't. So now I get my season passes for Six Flags and enjoy my time at Discovery Kingdom. Although there are not that many rides over there, there is something about the atmosphere that makes it more enjoyable than Great America.

-Stealth

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Andrewoplis » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:32 pm

I don't know what it is, but the park seems so much... CLEANER! It could just be the photos, but everything looks a lot more spiffed up since the last time I was there, which was only a little less then a year ago. Flight deck does look nicer now, but I do miss the old black paint job, made the ride look more bad a$$ if you ask me.
Hm, I see...

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:42 pm

Stealth7E7 wrote:I rode Gold Striker during the filming shoot last year (I think it was last year) but I don't remember the ride having some many sides up on the ride. Does anyone know why or when it was done?

I used to visit Great America a lot when I was younger, but when they removed Stealth and put in the water park that just turned me away from the park. They didn't invest in new rides for a while and the crowds that go there (this was a while back of course) just turned me off from visiting the park. I wished they would do more with the park to make it more exciting for roller coaster fans, but they haven't. So now I get my season passes for Six Flags and enjoy my time at Discovery Kingdom. Although there are not that many rides over there, there is something about the atmosphere that makes it more enjoyable than Great America.

-Stealth
The promo rides were April 30-May 4, 2013. I was there on 4/30. They started adding the new walls and tunnels right after the promo shoots due to noise complaints from a neighboring business. They were recently seen standing on the roof with decibel meters again, so I wouldn't be surprised if more tunnels and/or walls were added later.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Swornenemy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:45 pm

laqueefa wrote:
Swornenemy wrote:Good trip report. I'm gonna be heading out on Tuesday to get my Goldstriker fix. If I can remember to take some pictures I will put together a report myself.

What time are you thinking of heading out? I might have a Muay Thai session that day and will be pretty close to the park before work.

Gonna try to be there all day.

kailisun98 wrote:Wouldn't it be awesome if they tore down the amphitheater and inserted an intamin megalite? Well, they would have to relocate a few rides but...

I've thought of that for a long time, with that and the picnic area removed there would be plenty of space for something fun. Not gonna happen, but it's fun to think about.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby laqueefa » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:50 pm

kailisun98 wrote:Wouldn't it be awesome if they tore down the amphitheater and inserted an intamin megalite? Well, they would have to relocate a few rides but...

While a Megalite would be awesome, I dont like the idea of removing the amphitheater. I have fond memories of some major concerts when I was younger at that amphitheater. They have some concerts on the books, and my hopes are they look to book more in the upcoming seasons. It gives the park variety, and who knows with the new stadium hosting shows... depending on the booker, they could pick up some tours that the stadium talent buyer passes on.

Stealth7E7 wrote:I used to visit Great America a lot when I was younger, but when they removed Stealth and put in the water park that just turned me away from the park. They didn't invest in new rides for a while and the crowds that go there (this was a while back of course) just turned me off from visiting the park. I wished they would do more with the park to make it more exciting for roller coaster fans, but they haven't. So now I get my season passes for Six Flags and enjoy my time at Discovery Kingdom.
Although there are not that many rides over there, there is something about the atmosphere that makes it more enjoyable than Great America.
-Stealth

While I dont attend the water park (a friend got Mirsa from her visit), I can see why it was added. We have a Raging Waters park on the East side of town. A pretty far trek for a lot of Northern San Jose and Santa Clara residents. Plus it adds diversity to the park. I imagine some families enjoy being able to split off and ride some coasters in between their time in the water park. In my case, once I've ridden a water slide a couple times, I'm done with it. A nice spin on Flight Deck and/or Goldie could help dry and cool you off! ;)

As far as investing in the park, lets place blame where it belongs. The Paramount era SUCKED. Once they passed their first year of ownership, they realized they didn't know how to run a park, went totally hands off, and the park went to $hit. The park was dirty, buildings and rides were faded and old looking, families stopped attending, and gang members were running rough shot through the park.

Andrewoplis wrote:I don't know what it is, but the park seems so much... CLEANER! It could just be the photos, but everything looks a lot more spiffed up since the last time I was there, which was only a little less then a year ago. Flight deck does look nicer now, but I do miss the old black paint job, made the ride look more bad a$$ if you ask me.

It is! Sure, there were some kiosk stands that looked a little sun bleached, but for the most part the buildings and common areas were clean. The bathrooms looked cleaner than usual (probably due to the low crowds), but I noticed it too. It will be nice to see them keep it up under heavier crowds.

Swornenemy wrote:
laqueefa wrote:

Gonna try to be there all day.

Cool! maybe we will run into each other. If you're single rinding (I wish they had some single rider lines), maybe we can hit a couple together.
Tigga, please!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!