TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 45: New Zootopia details!

I'm hoping they don't put in too many wink-wink nudge-nudges by Capt.Sparrow and make the

(probable) screen appearances kind of wasted. Although they did add the AA's to the ride, I was

actually surprised "He" didn't pop up more often, and Jones in the mist-screen only once,

the other Capt. Barbossa's only appearance on the full rig ship.... not a lot, I found out.

And it still worked out fine.

Except that reverse chase (woman with broom after the older pirate?) was fun and a true cinematic

'joke' that was enjoyed by me and still is, in the Paris' version.

So, it would be nice if Shanghai version did a mix of everything Disney does so awesomely, even 2D

stuff, to holographs, and "mapping", and AA's that "walk" (where are you Ben Franklin? He's still at EPCOT,

you idiot!), making it a really amazingly spectacular (what I called it after our first ride in 1975...

LIVE "Gone With Wind style") an EPIC "Must See Attraction" to anybody around the world who

appreciates Disney's way with an attraction.

My five cents' hopes and stuff.

1471531983_Resizeof0006_20.jpg.7abe2ea6de57ccfd377e9d27c74d65ee.jpg

And now they have AAs that are remote "free roaming" like the good

Dr. here and Lucky the Dinosaur. Do these have a place in SDL's PoTC, too?

Edited by Nrthwnd

• 2 weeks later...

On page 16, where the list of proposed SHDL opening day attractions are,

and with all this recent celebrating about Happy 50th, "It's A Small World",

I remembered that I didn't see IASM on that list.

Could this be a deliberate omission, with plans to add it later, or....maybe not?

db_2012_0718_SDL_Map2_6001alt.jpg.ac45626a5a976c3e02f8fbc947b71d43.jpg

Part of the SHDL map, showing a large bldg. in the upper left corner there,

in Fantasyland. Could this be IASM, or the rumored larger Peter Pan attraction?

Large building in the upper right is for the "Winnie The Pooh" dark ride, I believe.

And the Seven Dwarfs Coaster clone is below that.

• 3 weeks later...

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/disney-to-invest-another-800-million-in-shanghai-resort-1201166098/

Marking its largest foreign investment to date, Disney CEO Bob Iger announced at the Milken Global Conference Monday that the company will be pouring an additional $800 million into Shanghai Disney Resort, expanding before the project has even opened.

Currently, he said that 8,000 workers are living and working on the property, which totals a $5.5 billion investment.

“It’s clear that we are serving a number of interests in China,” Iger said, citing a more service-oriented economy as well as a greater western cultural experience.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Mmm with all this new input of money and design, I am thinking the next TPR China Tour

might be pushed to say.....2017? When the 2016 Euro-Scandi Tour has come and gone, hmm?

(Rumor, but so possible, nowadayssss...)

^ Holy Crap! The engineering nerd in me just had a major ... well ... accident. Tissues are required! That is some amazing renderings and artwork. Thanks for sharing that Chris!

Jimmy "Still love this engineering stuff" Bo

• 4 weeks later...

This certainly shows how a Disney castle, is not "just a castle."

Blows my mind how much intricate detail and planning

is there, even before the major construction begins!

I am so looking forward to actually seeing, and going into this castle.

• 2 weeks later...
^ Holy Crap! The engineering nerd in me just had a major ... well ... accident. Tissues are required! That is some amazing renderings and artwork. Thanks for sharing that Chris!

Jimmy "Still love this engineering stuff" Bo

Being a 3D visualization guy, it's times like these that make me want to learn AutoCAD and Revit again. I hope I can be a part of a team making stuff like that some day.

• 2 weeks later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/06/worlds-first-production-of-disneys-the-lion-king-in-mandarin-to-be-presented-at-shanghai-disney-resort/

From Treasure Cove to Enchanted Storybook Castle, we’ve been showing you updates on the progress of Shanghai Disney Resort, and today I’m excited to tell you about another one-of-a-kind experience in development for the newest addition to our worldwide family of Disney Parks.

Disney’s musical event, THE LION KING – the landmark Julie Taymor production, exactly as seen on Broadway and in productions around the world – will be presented at Shanghai Disney Resort in partnership with Disney Theatrical Productions. The world’s first production of Disney’s THE LION KING in Mandarin, this groundbreaking show will be performed in a new, world-class, 1,200-seat Broadway-style theater, located in the retail, dining and entertainment area currently under construction adjacent to Shanghai Disneyland park.

“We are thrilled to bring Disney’s THE LION KING to Shanghai Disney Resort,” said Mike Crawford, General Manager of Shanghai Disney Resort. “Working with our partners at Disney Theatrical Productions to have the world’s most successful and popular stage musical in Mandarin for the first time, here at our ‘must-visit’ entertainment district, will provide a great centerpiece for the area and an amazing opportunity for the people living in and traveling to Shanghai.”

“It is especially exciting for us to premiere THE LION KING at this brand new theatre at Shanghai Disney Resort, marking our first collaboration with our partners at Disney Parks and Resorts,” said Thomas Schumacher, President and Producer, Disney Theatrical Productions. “This uniquely Chinese production will be our most ambitious yet, featuring the very best of local talent, who will perform the show for the first time in Mandarin as they bring Julie Taymor’s singular theatrical vision to life.”

At the time of its opening, the Mandarin production will mark the 10th concurrent worldwide production of Disney’s THE LION KING – the highest number of productions running at any one time in the show’s history. To date, Disney’s THE LION KING has played 18 countries on every continent except Antarctica.

image.jpg.754ea99eac7584f238b472054cbe22e8.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

It'll be interesting to see how this works out. The idea of a actual Broadway show as "permanent" attraction at a park is intriguing. I wonder if they'll get enough guests to make it profitable over the long haul.

It'll be interesting to see how it does as a permanent venue outside of the park, like La Nouba is at Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World. This is the first official confirmation of an entertainment space beyond the park berm along the lines of Downtown Disney. I'll be curious to see what else gets announced for this unarmed retail/dining/entertainment space in the future...