TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Orlando Eye will do just fine since they'll probably offer bundles with the MADAME TUSSAUDS and Sea Life Aquarium that they're building. Both of those things will likely be huge draws, especially the wax museum.

Just got back from the "Skyscraper at SkyPlex" announcement. Here's some details:

- Complex called "SkyPlex" - Roller coaster called "SkyScraper"

- Part of an entertainment complex built by "Mango's Tropical Cafe."

- Ride Built by US Thrill Rides and S&S

- 570 Feel tall

- 5,200 feet of track

- 48" height restriction

- Opening 2016

[vine]

[/vine]

Complete Announcement Video:

Helicopter footage of the construction site filmed by Attractions Magazine:

World’s Tallest Rollercoaster and Entertainment Complex

“The Skyscraper™ at SKYPLEX™” To Electrify Orlando Skyline in 2016

Mango’s Tropical Café Orlando and SKYPLEX Will Bring ‘Ocean Drive to I-Drive’

#Skyscraper #Orlando #SKYPLEX

ORLANDO, Fla. (June 5, 2014) – David and Joshua Wallack, the owners of Mango’s Tropical Café Orlando and Mango’s Tropical Café South Beach, today announced plans to develop the world’s tallest roller coaster The Skyscraper™ and the lavish SKYPLEX™ indoor entertainment complex at International Drive and Sand Lake Road.

The Skyscraper at SKYPLEX, the towering coaster to be built not far from the soon-to-open Orlando Eye 425-foot ferris wheel, will alter the Orlando skyline dramatically. The $200 million SKYPLEX will comprise approximately 495,000 square feet located on 12 prime acres. SKYPLEX will break ground in 2015 and is expected to open in 2016. Along with Mango’s Orlando, SKYPLEX will be bringing an irresistible dining and new nightlife vibe to the International Drive district.

“Next to our theme parks, International Drive is one of the most recognized icons of Orlando,” said Visit Orlando president and CEO George Aguel. “It’s exciting for our tourism community to see this type of investment being made to continuously raise the bar on the dining and entertainment experiences we offer across our destination.”

The Skyscraper at SKYPLEX is 570 feet tall and will feature the first Polercoaster built. This mega-thrill ride is a vertical rollercoaster created with coaster-length tracks featuring “all the other thrilling mayhem” of a great coaster experience, but “in a very small footprint,” according to Michael Kitchen, President of US Thrill Rides, the Orlando based company that created the ride.

Bill Kitchen, Founder of US Thrill Rides and creator of the Polercoaster said "Not only will the ‘Skyscraper’ coaster be the world’s tallest, we believe it will be the most thrilling. There will be incredible heart-pounding inside and outside loops, dives, spirals and inversions like the world has never seen."

The SKYPLEX observation deck at the tip of the tallest structure in Central Florida will offer views 535 feet from the ground. To get there, visitors will ride in the region’s tallest glass elevators.

“We’re extremely excited about creating a record-breaking, must-try attraction on International Drive,” said Joshua Wallack, Mango’s Tropical Café chief operating officer, who also will open a Mango’s Orlando next year across International Drive from SKYPLEX. “Nowhere in the world will you have two iconic structures like The Skyscraper and the Orlando Eye. This will be an incredible opportunity for International Drive. ”

Wallack and his father David are partners in the mixed-use development that includes opportunities for additional attractions, entertainment, interactive venues, restaurants and retail to include a two-story prime retail space on International Drive. The SKYPLEX indoor entertainment complex including the observatory and restaurant and lounge at the top of the Skyscraper was designed by global architectural firm HHCP, based in Orlando, and will be constructed by Euforria, a construction management division of Winter Park Construction, based in Winter Park, Fla.

“Imagine a night of incredible dining, lounging and dancing atop a glass elevator ride 55 stories into the air,” said David Wallack. “It’s a true meeting of engineering, technology and art that is making this dream happen for us. We plan to bring Ocean Drive to I-Drive with a new dining and nightlife district that locals and Orlando visitors won’t want to miss.”

The SKYPLEX complex was conceived in late 2012 soon after Joshua Wallack began investigating parking garage locations for the Mango’s Orlando restaurant project.

What began as a search for multi-acre valet parking site for the Mango’s project mushroomed into a whirlwind of negotiations for additional land after Wallack was contacted by US Thrill Rides as to their interest in building the world’s first Polercoaster ride. The Wallacks rolled up five contiguous sites comprising 12 acres of land with 300 front feet on International Drive near Sand Lake Road and were soon collaborating with US Thrill Rides to license and develop the Polercoaster, which they now dub “The Skyscraper.” SKYPLEX will include a 1,500-car parking garage with a valet parking option.

Mango’s Tropical Café in Orlando, opening in 2015, will be a world-class restaurant and nightlife entertainment destination in the heart of the International Drive district and just one mile from the Orange County Convention Center. The restaurant, with 55,000 square feet of entertainment space, live bands, shows and dancing, plus gourmet dining and event packages, will have a parking garage next door to it.

The Wallack family has built a reputation as entrepreneurs and philanthropists in Miami with the Mango’s Tropical Café South Beach restaurant. The Wallacks have pioneered the innovative Community Partnership Program in Miami Beach benefitting Mount Sinai Hospital in Miami Beach, which has yielded more than half a million dollars in the past two years. The Wallacks plan similar philanthropic activities in Central Florida.

For more information, visit http://www.skyplex.com.

1013702604_SkyscraperatSkyplex.thumb.jpg.67ad13329a3104285ab770abcefff7ac.jpg

skyplex_i_drive_orlando_001.thumb.jpg.523ea63f10f2a4335e3e30cc00861f6d.jpg

skyplex_i_drive_orlando_003.thumb.jpg.c72989fc1c21406551b018b0294c5661.jpg

skyplex_i_drive_orlando_004.thumb.jpg.2b33ea3269b91db1c0e7f6f79b6d4e09.jpg

skyplex_i_drive_orlando_005.thumb.jpg.19b519cdd1364bef03df3f2bfe1f4e25.jpg

skyplex_i_drive_orlando_006.thumb.jpg.11e7afb3a3a651f82c0ea07ce48ac264.jpg

skyplex_i_drive_orlando_007.thumb.jpg.8525e371d269de51604e51c3f7891bfe.jpg

skyplex_i_drive_orlando_008.thumb.jpg.5ab3bebcbb4763ae11d73e60c2b312cb.jpg

skyplex_i_drive_orlando_009.thumb.jpg.7b9f77cf3d4ca9be891f79ed846d0ad4.jpg

skyplex_i_drive_orlando_010.thumb.jpg.05479b7edf364ea2edba8af235ef7208.jpg

skyplex_i_drive_orlando_011.thumb.jpg.4f6a7638109f4468616dffaf7d778d0e.jpg

track1.thumb.jpg.b53154c001b486c69b33851eaadca520.jpg

track2.thumb.jpg.4c63c826d2d43af0b9a05b6f4c2e2eb0.jpg

track3.thumb.jpg.98a050962bb33f72e6beb8a03c18c8c2.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

WOW...I honestly can't say anything else but wow.

I am glad we are finally seeing official renderings and such and really hope nothing falls apart.

I normally stay at the Rosen Inn which is basically right by this, so for what I am extra excited!

I am intrigued with the little bit of track that's going in and out of the buildings, curious if that will be pre or post main coaster part. I'd assume by the red track being the same as the lift that it would be a pre-lift section.

Should be fun either way.

Holy... crap...! That looks awesome. I like how the ride goes out and around the entire complex before (or maybe after) reaching the tower. Also, almost a mile of track!? Jeeze that's long! I know that's counting the ascent, too, but it should be quite a wild ride on the way down. And 500+ft tall!? My god.

I-Drive is certainly getting crazier by the year! Now, if only they'd figure out a better way to navigate traffic through the area.

I know there has been talk about expanding I-4 to include Express Toll Lanes, but I'm not sure the project extends that far west to the Attractions Area.

EDIT** Here's a link to what I believe is the project website, from the map, it looks like this will extend all the way past USO/IOA.

http://www.moving-4-ward.com

Edited by bbomser

they're breaking ground in 2015? Wow shouldn't they probably start on it sooner? I feel like if they started that late that it could end up like falcons fury or goliath. delays. Well, nonetheless, I know where I'm headed in 2016!

They did provide some very high res images of the tower concept art, and while this is just "concept art" it's interesting to see some of the elements they feel may be included on the coaster.

track1.thumb.jpg.5c0ae8bfe9e73165e10684c30021302d.jpg

track2.thumb.jpg.d2674f7ad7fe0180fa28cab2d3bc1533.jpg

track3.thumb.jpg.a1e78ed7f801abb6891f1af567ad458e.jpg

Not that I think it will be a super fast... super forceful roller coaster. But at 570 ft tall... it will sure be worth a ride. Even though they will probably $30 a ride. It will still be worth it.

It's hard to tell whether it will be amazing as a coaster, but it definitely looks like it will be a great experience. What is International Drive like at the moment? Was it affected by the financial crisis? I got the impression it was, but it's great to see investment like this and the Orlando Eye recently.

I can't wait for the POV. Until then, I have absolutely no idea what to expect. You can't really tell much from the renderings since the red and blue tracks look like completely different kinds of structures (and sizes), and it looks like they had some clipping issues as well with it. And the trains look an awful lot like the Mystery Mine trains, which don't seem to navigate their course smoothly, but again, it's only a preliminary rendering.

This is one of those things I could see being scrapped before it ever gets started... For those of you who live there, does it fill a void in the market? Does anyone need a single huge (weird) rollercoaster near a shopping area?

This is one of those things I could see being scrapped before it ever gets started... For those of you who live there, does it fill a void in the market? Does anyone need a single huge (weird) rollercoaster near a shopping area?

It's actually hard to say. That I-Drive area is changing so much that it's hard to tell what the area needs or doesn't need. It's going on the old "Fun & Wheels" spot which kind of symbolizes how some of the older mini-golf and FEC type attractions are becoming a thing of the past, and more "entertainment complexes" with restaurants, night life, and attractions are going up.

Only a few of the older FEC attractions have survived, and in order to, like Fun Spot, they had to step up their game and expand beyond that type of attraction. So I'm not exactly sure what will remain from this round of new development, but it DOES seem a lot more exciting than was there before.

--Robb

The area has definitely changed from the souvenier stands and tourist traps of the past. I am really looking forward to seeing this progress, because it could potentially be very good for the city.

Also - can you imagine an outer-banked turn or hang-time at over 400ft in the air??? This thing doesn't have to be fast to be terrifying.

David

Im not really feeling this coaster. In my books i consider a roller coaster to be free standing. So i will still have kingda ka as tallest.

I can see it now, "World's Tallest freestanding Roller coaster! Right here at Six Flags Great Adventure!"

Also - can you imagine an outer-banked turn or hang-time at over 400ft in the air??? This thing doesn't have to be fast to be terrifying.

This.

Interesting project. I think this sort of stuff is the future of I-Drive. And I say that as a huge fan of cheesy mini-golf places. I just don't think they can really compete in this market any more.

dt