TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Empty trains is not a good thing. In fact, it means they are not even coming close to the capacity that this ride should be able to accommodate. It just means the bottleneck is at a different location. Like at the test seat. I thought originally they were even supposed to have a moving load/ unload station to keep capacity at a max. Not only is this new mandate horrible, but it's pathetic how now it has devolved so far from what they had intended with the reprofile in the first place. I'm glad I got my credit, cause unless I run balls to the wall there first, or it's ERT. I don't foresee ever riding this thing again. Kinda sad actually to see what this new policy has become.

Guy "We are DEVO." Koepp

SFOT was at the top of my list for SF parks I wanted to go back and revisit after my 2012 trip.

Now I won't even consider going back until they get rid of this asinine policy (and the no-single riders in the back row policy too), which is disappointing bc I really would love to ride NTaG again.

Wow, Six Flags. Wow...

Yes, that new line system is incredibly annoying, but as far as I'm concerned, New Texas Giant is still New Texas Giant. I would still wait for it if I were there. I wouldn't like it one bit, but it's New Texas Giant for crying out loud! It's one of the best roller coasters in the US AND has proven to be a safe ride. Having an annoying queue system would not deter me from riding it.

Of course, I've never ridden it at all, so I would not really care about how I waited for the coaster once I'm on it.

Is there a way to try the test seat before you get in line now? Or do you have to wait an hour just to be told you can't ride?

Nope! My actual wait time in the line above was about 30 minutes, I only waited to time it. It goes somewhat faster with two people shoving the bar down on your lap instead of one.

One thing I found odd was no one at the MCBR today, guess the test seat is their priority on low staffing days.

Guy - They tested out the magic carpet loading at the end of 2012, the problem with it, and the only problem with it, was the lack of three trains on the rails. Because they rotate one of the three out for rehab, they never have three to run. So while it would work, you found yourself waiting on a train for 60 seconds, which is not a bad thing, but when your magic carpeting things you'd really want to never not be putting a butt in a seat.

SFSTL magic carpeted their pando, had to acquire more cars from another park because it was running so efficient.

OK, say someone gets up to the test seat, sits down and then proceeds to puke or poop their pants or whatever... all over it. Does that in turn make the attraction itself go down because the test seat has become "unavailable"?

If the test seat is 101...does the coaster go down?

I understand that there was a fatal accident, but why not just train ride ops to ensure that restraints are properly locked instead of bubble-wrapping the rides in convoluted and weird ways?
Because knowing the GP they would complain because "Six Flags never did anything about that ride where the lady flew out" At least this way they can SEE that Six Flags is "trying" even if it may be insane... At least it puts the GP at ease. At least that is what I have convinced my self of as being the reason SFOT is going to such crazy extremes.

I understand that there was a fatal accident, but why not just train ride ops to ensure that restraints are properly locked instead of bubble-wrapping the rides in convoluted and weird ways?
Because knowing the GP they would complain because "Six Flags never did anything about that ride where the lady flew out" At least this way they can SEE that Six Flags is "trying" even if it may be insane... At least it puts the GP at ease. At least that is what I have convinced my self of as being the reason SFOT is going to such crazy extremes.

So they need to appease the GP by publicly using a "TSA checkpoint"? Wow.

Was this accident the single most influential in terms of parks being affected nation-wide???
I think this accident got so much negative media attention it has FORCED Six Flags to change things nation wide. You know the GP would be waiting in line for Flashback and say... "Don;t you know... this is the ride that lady fell out of?" Seriously the I feel like Six Flags is protecting them selves because they know what the GP thinks about theme park accidents.

Was this accident the single most influential in terms of parks being affected nation-wide???

In modern day, maybe. In history; That would probably be the Edge at SFGAm. Since almost every park had an Intamin 1st Generation Drop Tower at the time; They all probably needed safety upgrades and anti-rollbacks

Even though theme parks can't exist without the GP, at the same time, it seems like the GP absolutely can ruin amusement parks. Seriously, even Cedar Fair is affected - they are putting seatbelts on B&M hypers, which a load of absolute bull poo.

Even though theme parks can't exist without the "GP", at the same time, it seems like the "GP" absolutely can ruin amusement parks. Seriously, even Cedar Fair is affected - they are putting seatbelts on B&M hypers, which a load of absolute bull poo.

I rode Diamondback last week and it had no effect on the ride at all. I understand that the restraint is unnecessary but as much as enthusiasts point the finger at the "GP" for freaking out and overreacting in regards to ride accidents, we're freaking out and overreacting about seatbelts which aren't nearly as serious of an issue.

The rides may take an extra few seconds to check and dispatch (though the Diamondback ops were still very fast) but the ride experience is exactly the same. I do agree that the "GP" is overreacting, but the way enthusiasts are reacting to these seat belts is ridiculous.

From Screamscape

Good news, the latest report from SFOT guests indicate that while the mandatory test-seat fitting is still in required for everyone who wants to ride The Texas Giant, they have stopped with the grouping and safety speeches. People just jump in the seat, a loud buzzer goes off if you fit and you are waived on into the main queue area, which has speed things up significantly. Up in the station, the picture is also good… everyone jumps in their seats, ride ops come back to put down and check each lapbar and off you go. No crazy stapling or double checks of the entire train for belt then lapbar, just a fairly smooth operation.

So glad the system that clearly had a capacity issue was changed. It really made no sense the way they had it set up. I'm okay with them making us try the seat as that will probably also go away. At least the line will keep moving. I sent them a strong opinion on the system in the survey they send out after you visit the park. I wonder if they read it.