TR : Xtreme Supernova media event @ TGE

New video added !
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Donkeys are my way of life!

TR : Xtreme Supernova media event @ TGE

Postby booink » Fri May 23, 2014 1:21 pm

Hey there TPR ! Yesterday it was The amazing media event for the Xtreme Supernova, the new pendulum ride at the Great Escape. Since I have my own website and I knew some peoples at the park, I was invited to attend the event and try out the new ride before anyone else ! I have to say I really liked it, it's a great high-thrill ride that complements the other rides of the park very well. The ride is also pretty to look at, in my opinion. On all points, for me it's a winner and a great new attraction for the park.

Of course there was some stuff going on behind the new ride, because The Comet was open too and it was running pretty well ! :airtime: At some point in the day I got some ART (Alone Ride Time) where I really was the only guy in the train. I've always dreamed of having all a coaster all for me, well now it's done!

I also got some video footage of the ride, but I don't had the time to video-edit it yet. I'll upload as soon as I can.

Oh, and BTW, they probably won't read this trip report but a big THANK YOU to the peoples at the park who let me attend the event! It was awesome!

Enough talking, I'll sum up the rest of the event in the pictures' caption :
new_DSC_0802.JPG
First thing you see when you enter the park, the Pirate Ship is gone. A park manager told me they didn't know yet if it would be relocated inside the park or to another one, or be used for something else (scrap metal I guess).
new_DSC_0801.JPG
I guess the hand over the slide is a left-over from last year's fright fest. Or it's just Black Cobra's new decoration.
new_DSC_0658.JPG
As you can see there was quite a few peoples at the beginning of the day.
new_DSC_0662.JPG
The old-school PTC Comet finally gets a neighbor. I guess they chose its name by its location next to the Comet. Themed area anyone ?
new_DSC_0668.JPG
They did some test runs just before the official inauguration. Wish I was in the ride at that moment.
new_DSC_0697.JPG
The communication manager and the park president (on the picture) made a little speech before the first ride.
new_DSC_0710.JPG
These astronauts "launched" to the Supernova right after the speech.
new_DSC_0730.JPG
And there goes the astronauts!
new_DSC_0761.JPG
Here are the astronauts back from their flight.
new_DSC_0716.JPG
This guy is a real NASA astronaut. He told us how the ride compared to a real spaceship flight. Of course it's pretty different, but it was cool to hear from him!
new_DSC_0738.JPG
Some kids from a local school were invited to take the first rides. Most seemed to enjoy it. A few didn't, but they looked pretty young and maybe it was too extreme for some of them.
new_DSC_0742.JPG
This pendulum goes pretty high and it spins and balances FAST ! I'm a pretty thin guy and if I didn't hold on to the bars on my restraint, I flew away. The forces were much more intense than I expected!
new_DSC_0768_edited.JPG
This is my new desktop wallpaper!
new_DSC_0781.JPG
Oh no Go Pro, I'm NOT looking at you. (sorry for the over-exposure)
new_supernova_onride.jpg
It may not look like, but I'm having a lot of fun on this ride!
new_DSC_0760.JPG
There was a free buffet and an ACE guy attended the event too. Coincidence ? I don't think so.
new_DSC_0795.JPG
Ok ok, let me explain this. Right before the second ride I took, the attendant was unable to start the ride and it started to rain, so someone brought me this. I am officially the first person to be stuck on the SuperNova!
new_DSC_0753.JPG
Yes Comet, I know you're there. I'm coming!
new_IMG_20140522_124401.jpg
The cool peoples at The Great Escape allowed me to film a POV of the Comet, because the one I made last year looked pretty much like cr@p.
new_footage_comet.jpg
The new footage is pretty darn good!
new_comet_epicness.jpg
I love the Comet !
Last edited by booink on Mon May 26, 2014 3:18 pm.
Favorites :
Steel : Maverick, Wicked Cyclone, Superman: the ride (SFNE)
Wood : El Toro, Phoenix, Lightning Racers
Total coaster count : 137

My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Re: TR : Xtreme Supernova media event @ TGE

Postby DarienLaker » Fri May 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Great Escape's new Extreme Supernova ride looks like Cedar Point's maXair's "little brother"! ;)
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

Postby booink » Fri May 23, 2014 1:45 pm

It is in some sort! I don't have excellent memories of Maxair but I'd say the Supernova was a *little* more intense than Maxair. I don't remember flying out of my seat on the Cedar Point's ride! ;)
Favorites :

I suck at LIFE!

Postby djboss302 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:23 pm

Great TR! Will you upload the POV to YouTube if you haven't already?
Top 5 Parks: 1. Cedar Point 2. Epcot 3. Busch Gardens Tampa 4. Holiday World 5. WDW Magic Kingdom
Coaster Count: Wood: 14 Steel: 33 Total: 47 Park count: 8
Top 5 Steel:1. Kumba 2. Montu 3. Raptor 4. Maverick 5. Batman
Top 5 Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. The Legend 3. Blue Streak 4. Viper 5. American Eagle (Red)

Postby booink » Fri May 23, 2014 8:39 pm

^I will as soon as I have the time to edit the footage. Hopefully I might post everything tomorrow! :)
Favorites :

Postby booink » Mon May 26, 2014 3:16 pm

Here's some footage I got at the media event (sorry for my site's logo at the beginning of the video) :
Favorites :

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon May 26, 2014 3:42 pm

Glad to see the park added something near the Comet since it always seemed weird how the ride was separated from the rest of the park by the water park.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue May 27, 2014 6:30 am

This looks like a great little ride.

By the way, the pirate ship being removed is very interesting. With rumors of Bobsled being removed and with go kart tracks being removed from parks all over the place lately... they could open up a huge amount of land for expansion. Take a look at the area on google maps and you'll see what I mean.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Tue May 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Looks like a neat little ride! I'd definitely like to see more like it at smaller sized parks in the future. Thanks for sharing!
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Postby booink » Tue May 27, 2014 3:42 pm

It was indeed very good. At La Ronde (my home park), we have Le Manitou and it's a relaxing "ride" compared to this one. I really wish there was more of these, they are great ! :b
Favorites :

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive