Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 645 - Batman: The Ride Roller Coaster for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:28 pm

I'm surprised no one posted this.

"Pretty cool seeing Tsunami Soaker come together! Here's one of the nine boats being lowered and installed onto the base on a ride that will soon having you spinning and #SOAKED!"

From SFDK Facebook on May 12th

It's also going to open on May 31 to the public, with a season pass preview on the 29th.

Anyone planning on going?
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu May 29, 2014 9:35 pm

I was thinking about going to Discovery Kingdom this Saturday. How bad should I expect the lines to be since I may not be able to stay all day due to my transportation to and from the park being public transit?
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Galaxyland

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby gromithere » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:39 am

Possibly the shortest trip report ever...

Went to SFDK yesterday and arrived to see TONS of school and chartered busses. Went in the park to find thousands upon thousands of annoying unsupervised teenagers in packs. Checked out Superman and Roar and lines were crazy long considering it was just after park opening. Left after 20 minutes. Damn I sound old. :lmao:

Took the short trip to the Jelly Belly factory instead, and a good time was had by all. Moral of the story...don't go to the park the last week of school.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby scooterdoug » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:42 am

gromithere wrote:Left after 20 minutes.

Wise move. I would have done the same thing.
Aikido: Why fight when you can flow?

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:55 am

On the park website, the Flash Pass page lists V2 as closed but the main ride page doesn't. Would any of you know if it is actually closed? I plan on calling later tonight to check.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby GigaG » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:08 pm

On another note about V2, are its seatbelts short like Wicked Twister or long like Posessed? I get walk of shamed on Wicked Twister and barely fit last year, but last year on Possessed, the belts were very long.
"Official" Cedar Fair fanboy!
Favorite Steel: Maverick|Favorite Wood: El Toro, Goliath is close behind|Favorite non-prefab/RMC woodie: Hard to say. Probably Shivering Timbers or Georgia Cyclone
Favorite Flats (in no particular order) - MoA NU Brain Surge, Chance Chaos, Flying Scooters, drop towers
I take a stand against unnecessary neutering of rides. Restore Revolution, Blue Streak, Dorney Thunderhawk, Raging Bull, etc...

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby moviemansig » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:40 pm

I called the park today and was told that V2 is currently open. Also, which day would likely be more crowded - 6/14 or 6/22? (The 14th is not quite summer, but it's a Saturday, while the 22nd is early summer, but it's a Sunday.) Thanks.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:44 pm

GigaG wrote:On another note about V2, are its seatbelts short like Wicked Twister or long like Posessed? I get walk of shamed on Wicked Twister and barely fit last year, but last year on Possessed, the belts were very long.
They used to be only slightly better than Wicked Twister but earlier this year all the belts got replaced and they're all a little longer now (and also all the same length unlike before). If you were close on Wicked Twister like me (I made it but only just) you should be fine on V2.

moviemansig wrote:I called the park today and was told that V2 is currently open. Also, which day would likely be more crowded - 6/14 or 6/22? (The 14th is not quite summer, but it's a Saturday, while the 22nd is early summer, but it's a Sunday.) Thanks.

Saturdays are almost always more crowded than Sundays barring events.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:15 pm

I was just there on Saturday (I'll post a TR when I get around to it) and had a pretty good time. My advise is to get there right away. I got there at opening and got on Superman three times, Roar, V2, Boomerang, and Kong without any lines. Medusa kept breaking down and I was able to ride it 3 straight times after it reopened. By the end of the day, Superman, Roar, and Medusa had lines of almost an hour.

I'll have red wine with my slice of donkey.

Postby CrazedZooChimp » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Was at the park this past Sunday, it was surprisingly empty (maybe lots of soccer and/or Nascar fans tend to fill the park?), especially when we arrived a little after 11. Got a couple rides on Superman to start the day with almost no line, followed by Roar and V2. Roar feels better than I remember it being, not too rough and still solid airtime. The biggest downside was they were only running one train, so it had the longest line to start the day. Medusa had almost no line at all, to the point the operator was joking about how quiet it was and how empty the train was (he was particularly entertaining, big props to Neil). Took one more ride on Roar and one more on Superman, which now had a longer line, probably about 30-40 minutes versus the 10 minutes it was earlier in the day. All in all, it made me think I should go again while the World Cup is still going on (or just that Sunday morning/early afternoon is always empty).

Oh, one other thing, Tsunami Soaker wasn't running in the morning, but was operating in the afternoon. It wasn't quiet hot enough for my buddy and I to feel like getting wet, but it did look kind of amusing. I was a little confused by how slow it seemed to rotate and spin, though. Is it supposed to go really slowly? At times it looked like the "cars" just sort of sat there as people sprayed each other.
Read stuff I write (mostly about NorCal happenings) over at Coaster101!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!