Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 328: "Disney Genie" digital offering announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Gimme Some Candy!

Re: Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby coasterfreak101 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:18 pm

I think I might be even more excited to see what they do with a night show for Animal Kingdom! Some great material to work with, I think, so it should be gorgeous!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby azza29 » Fri May 02, 2014 11:17 pm

Love the look of that Avatar boat ride. You know, the one MiceChat said had been "cancelled" earlier in the week... :lmao:

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby MisterP » Fri May 02, 2014 11:39 pm

Is it just me, or does the ride seem a bit short?

Basically a couple of tame (granted, its to be expected) coaster sections sandwiched around a very short mine section that pretty much existed in the original ride, with a single exterior scene at the end.

Its like they combined Barnstormer & the original Scary Adventures, but with like 1/4th the scenes.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a cool enough ride. But outside of the fact that it has coaster sections, what is better than the original ride?. I can't say I expected more from a coaster sense, but from the theming elements/dark ride sense, I did.

It does look like a nice starter coaster for the kiddies, and I can't wait until my son gets to ride it. But as an adult Disney geek, it looks kind of 'meh'. There doesn't seem to be any sort of story for a Fantasyland ride. Its layout seems to be: 1. mine train, 2. dwarfs in a mine, 3. more mine train, 4. dancing dwarfs. Huh? That's it?

Unless there's some element of the ride I'm missing by watching the video, take away the kiddie coaster element, and I'd say I prefer the original SW'sSA . At least it had a story....and most of all, it had some "menace" to it, which set it apart from the other FL rides...

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat May 03, 2014 5:38 am

^The old Snow White ride had a story that was told rather incoherently. It was really more like a conventional, old-school "haunted house" ride, as the main attractions in it were the "scary" elements (for example, the creepy forest, the witch's transformation, the dungeon), and the "happily ever after" ending seemed a bit abrupt and jarring. I understand your meaning, though.

I like the old Disney dark rides, but I think it was high time to "refresh" Snow White. Now if Disney wants to add the new-style animatronics to, say the Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Pooh, and Pinocchio rides, I wouldn't complain a bit.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat May 03, 2014 5:57 am

MisterP wrote:Is it just me, or does the ride seem a bit short?

Basically a couple of tame (granted, its to be expected) coaster sections sandwiched around a very short mine section that pretty much existed in the original ride, with a single exterior scene at the end.

Its like they combined Barnstormer & the original Scary Adventures, but with like 1/4th the scenes.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a cool enough ride. But outside of the fact that it has coaster sections, what is better than the original ride?. I can't say I expected more from a coaster sense, but from the theming elements/dark ride sense, I did.

It does look like a nice starter coaster for the kiddies, and I can't wait until my son gets to ride it. But as an adult Disney geek, it looks kind of 'meh'. There doesn't seem to be any sort of story for a Fantasyland ride. Its layout seems to be: 1. mine train, 2. dwarfs in a mine, 3. more mine train, 4. dancing dwarfs. Huh? That's it?

Unless there's some element of the ride I'm missing by watching the video, take away the kiddie coaster element, and I'd say I prefer the original SW'sSA . At least it had a story....and most of all, it had some "menace" to it, which set it apart from the other FL rides...

Soooo, you've written a this about a ride you've never actually ridden? Opinion thown in the trash.

Seriously, I get what you're saying from the "video", and the ride exceeded my expectations from my initial ride during the day when we rode with empty trains, but then really blew me away with how great of a family coaster it really was later in the evening.

If you still have this opinion once you ride, fine. But I just can't take someone seriously that bases all these thoughts from a video.

what is better than the original ride?

And after riding if you REALLY think that an old and busted dark ride, which always had story flow issues, was too scary that little kids never wanted to ride and and thus it never had a line making it the least popular ride in Fantasyland is REALLY better than this, well, then "It's just you."

--Robb "I think it should be fairly obvious how much better this is than the original ride..." Alvey
Last edited by robbalvey on Sat May 03, 2014 6:46 am.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby MisterP » Sat May 03, 2014 8:32 am

I wasn't trying to troll or say that its a terrible ride. In fact, I said it looked like a nice family ride. And its good to hear you felt so highly about it. But if I posted "this looks awesome", would you have commented that my opinion was useless because I hadn't ridden it yet?

Again, I admitted it was just an opinion from a video, which is all I have at this point. I felt there would be more dark ride elements to it, but if it works as an overall ride experience, I'm glad. Its not like I wanted to feel ambivalent after watching the video. I wanted it to look awesome, but it just looked OK. With many of the videos you guys post of new rides, I can tell how awesome they look just from watching them, and I often think "I gotta ride that!".. This one, not so much. So I felt like commenting on that fact. Just one man's opinion whilst sitting at his computer at 2am on a Friday night.
Last edited by MisterP on Sat May 03, 2014 8:39 am.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Sat May 03, 2014 8:39 am

Despite the fact that it took years and years to build, I don't think this was ever supposed to be an E-ticket ride. It looks like a great D-ticket that the whole family can enjoy together.
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat May 03, 2014 9:41 am

MisterP wrote:I wasn't trying to troll or say that its a terrible ride. In fact, I said it looked like a nice family ride. And its good to hear you felt so highly about it. But if I posted "this looks awesome", would you have commented that my opinion was useless because I hadn't ridden it yet?

Simply posting "this looks awesome" is totally different than posting a six section review of a ride based on a video that you haven't ridden yet. If you had simply wrote "The video isn't making me as excited for the ride as I thought, but I'll reserve judgement until I ride" or something, my reaction would have been a lot different.

But your lengthy post came across incredibly negative for a ride you've never experienced. You basically wrote a bad review for something you've never done.

That's why you got the reaction out of me that you did.

--Robb

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat May 03, 2014 9:45 pm

Here is our full photo & video report from the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train 3-day Media Event:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=116&linkid=13646
minetrain_sign.jpg
Loved the new attraction! Exceeded my expectations!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun May 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Robb, THANK YOU for posting a shot of what the front of the cottage, looks like!

Wish I/we could get closer to see it. But right now, it looks exquisite!

And Disney doesn't do too many large-scale fairy tale homes. Mainly in the
miniatures for the canal boat rides.

Congrats Disney! :mickey:
minetrain_event_SWcottage.jpg
It's just perfect. And knowing The Witch is back there... some where, hee hee hee.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!