TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I think eventually we'll see it at all six flags parks. The way I look at this is that its like halloween haunt. It first started small, then caught on, and now every park does it. I think in a couple years it will be the norm at every park. Even Cedar Fair parks. Now, some of the coaster may not be operating at some of those parks, but still. I look forward for that day to come!

I doubt that the parks up north will do it, like SFGAm, where the average high for December is 34 degrees.

Didn't Great Escape do a Winter event? SFGAm could easily have Carousel, STT, Rue Le Dodge, Dark Knight, Train Ride, Grand Music Hall, and maybe Whizzer open. Chubasco could easily be open too.

It doesn't surprise me at all SFOG is introducing this event. I was wanting to do a trip down last winter and was shocked to find out they didn't have a Holiday in the Park event. Hopefully the light display looks at least somewhat like the concept art.

I think eventually we'll see it at all six flags parks. The way I look at this is that its like halloween haunt. It first started small, then caught on, and now every park does it. I think in a couple years it will be the norm at every park. Even Cedar Fair parks. Now, some of the coaster may not be operating at some of those parks, but still. I look forward for that day to come!

I doubt that the parks up north will do it, like SFGAm, where the average high for December is 34 degrees.

This is exactly why Winterfest at Kings Island is a thing of the past. Can't imagine trying to bear Lake Erie at CP with the cold weather and terrible wind from the lake.

^^ When they brought it back after 13 years in 2005, attendance was not as high as it was back in the 80's. I assume Cedar Fair cut their losses and discontinued it after the Paramount buyout for a good reason. Dick may or may have not been involved with the cancellation of it. Anyways, SFOG seems to have mild enough winters (with the exception of this year) to where this event is great for the park.

Six Flags America has a park slightly to the north (Hershey) and slightly to the south (Busch Gardens) which each offer a winter event, so it isn't a matter of temperature. However, Six Flags America has little (if anything) to have open (ride wise) for a winter event and even their number of enclosed venues for shows and whatnot is highly limited. They'd really have to go all out on the lights and decorations to have something that people would come to see, but when you see what Busch Gardens does, even that would be a tough task.

Not surprising to finally see SFOG extend their season. It's an easy way to keep the revenue rolling for a longer period and get the most out of the park's assets. I would love to see them do some sort of winter themed Monster Mansion.

This is exactly why Winterfest at Kings Island is a thing of the past. Can't imagine trying to bear Lake Erie at CP with the cold weather and terrible wind from the lake.

I visited Kings Island's Winterfest once. It certainly lived up to its name.

That's good I did read where last year the 2013 passes in Texas included it. I had also read that in Texas they did it like Dollywood and if u purchases a pass during the Christmas event it was good during the 2014 season, so this year as well.

Dunno if they will do that here in GA but a good idea if they do especially for people who don't have a pass by then

SFOG has done that for fright fest in the past - buy a pass during FF and get it for the next year so I would expect they would do the same thing for the christmas event. Only makes sense. Get people locked in early.

^^ When they brought it back after 13 years in 2005, attendance was not as high as it was back in the 80's. I assume Cedar Fair cut their losses and discontinued it after the Paramount buyout for a good reason. Dick may or may have not been involved with the cancellation of it. Anyways, SFOG seems to have mild enough winters (with the exception of this year) to where this event is great for the park.

You also have to look at competition in the areas as well. Stone Mountain which is more on the nature side then the attraction side but has some attractions has done a lot the past few years in terms of doing a great Christmas event in addition to "snow mountain" for tubing. So there may be an element of "if they can do something in the winter, why can't we?" as well. Even beyond Stone Mountain, lots of places around Atlanta do cool holiday events and so there is no reason for Six Flags not to try to cash in on that too.

Now the question I have in that Fright Fest ends at end of October and this is starting toward end of November. Are they going to stay open on weekend during that time or just shut down for the weeks between end of fright fest and start of holiday in the park? I seems it would be better to just stay open even while redecorating but with six flags you never know.

Trip Report: Went to SFOG yesterday for the first time this year and had a great time. Is it just me or are Six Flags employees getting friendlier? I don't even think Walt Disney World employees said "hello" to me as many times as Six Flags did yesterday. It was strange...But a good strange, I guess. Anyways, I have to say that I do not like getting my season pass processed at the front gate. It takes forever to get in the park. They have this whole two step process now that in my opinion just slows down everything. I wish they would just go back to the old system of going through the season pass registration building and it be done. However, I do like the new finger print scan though, I'm sure it will help speed up getting in the gates later in the season so I guess that's good. All the rides were running except for Acrophobia and Ninja, although Ninja did open at the end of the day. Ninja was just running one train and it had a new paint job advertising something. Goliath was running super fast yesterday...Rode it four times, still the best ride in the park...But Mindbender is close second. Didn't get to visit the park last year so I got my first ride on the Sky Screamer...Basically just like the one I rode in St. Louis. I don't know, I may like the Sky Screamers better than the Windseekers...The jury is still out on that one. I really got no gripes at all, the operators were friendly, the park was clean and all the rides were running well...Or as well can be expected. The Georgia Cyclone will always beat the hell out of you, so that's expected. I worry sometimes with the coaster being right in front of the park, it may be the first coaster a lot of people come to that may have never rode a roller coaster before and get scared to death to ever ride a coaster again. It doesn't really bother me, because I can take a beating, but others may not be able to and SFOG may be forever to blame for their fears. But anyways, moving on...Great day at the park, it was a beautiful day, hot and the water rides were cold...just right! One last thing, speaking of water...I don't see how in the world Hurricane Harbor is going to be ready by Memorial Day weekend. They got a crap ton of work left to do in a couple of weeks. Slides still not finished, concrete still not down and landscaping to be done. I hope it's done, I plan to go back Memorial Day. I was against at first, but seeing it all come together, I think it's going to be a great addition to the park.

3 things I would like to note after my recent visit to SFOG:

Ga Cyclone in the magic seat really does kick ass (but I still prefer the airtime machine that is GASM)

The ride ops on the go karts stop you at a line shortly after you leave the station, wait for everyone to get to that point, then do a race-style start (which I love)

and best of all: NO MORE STRIDE GUM TRAIN WRAPS ON MIND BENDER!

I went for to this park for the first time ever in april. I did not take any photos so I will just post my thoughts here.

Employees were fantastic. There was an elderly gentleman that worked on one of the trams. He was fantastic and was super proud of his job.

The park was clean and well laid out. I did not expect the elevation changes whatsoever. Great selection of rides too. I have only been to three six flags parks, and my overall experience here trumps SFA and SFGADV.

Scorcher: Super fun. My favorite standup to date.

Goliath: Meh.

DDD: First Eurofighter. Hopefully more of these get build as it was AWESOME.

Batman: Skipped due to time.

Ninja: I have wanted to ride this thing forever. I grew up staring at it from the beach in wildwood. I rode in the 7th car back seat, and it was awesome! No head banging and the butterfly element was very interesting.

Scream machine: The worst wooden coaster I have ever been on. Riders were coming back in tears. It hurt worse than anything I have ever been on.

Mindbender: Perfect.

Cyclone: Wow the first drop and turns were amazingly smooth! The rest needs to get re-tracked ASAP. Fun ride though!

Mine train: Funky arrow transitions in the dark. Surprisingly fun!

I went for to this park for the first time ever in april. I did not take any photos so I will just post my thoughts here.

Employees were fantastic. There was an elderly gentleman that worked on one of the trams. He was fantastic and was super proud of his job.

The park was clean and well laid out. I did not expect the elevation changes whatsoever. Great selection of rides too. I have only been to three six flags parks, and my overall experience here trumps SFA and SFGADV.

Ninja: I have wanted to ride this thing forever. I grew up staring at it from the beach in wildwood. I rode in the 7th car back seat, and it was awesome! No head banging and the butterfly element was very interesting.

Scream machine: The worst wooden coaster I have ever been on. Riders were coming back in tears. It hurt worse than anything I have ever been on.

Cyclone: Wow the first drop and turns were amazingly smooth! The rest needs to get re-tracked ASAP. Fun ride though!

Thinks Goliath is meh and GASM is horrible, yet says DDD, Cyclone, and Ninja are awesome.

Get out.

You must've ridden GASM in the wrong seat, it is amazing in a non-wheel seat, and even in a wheel seat, it's better than Cyclone.

I don't even get why Goliath is meh compared to DDD, did you get them mixed up or something?

Ninja is sorta understandable considering you were in the magic seat.

In other news, the new wave pool has just wet itself.

BnEDUbKCYAA-Ha2.jpg.49239e359849cbf058cee86ed742d725.jpg

Thinks Goliath is meh and GASM is horrible, yet says DDD, Cyclone, and Ninja are awesome.

Get out.

You must've ridden GASM in the wrong seat, it is amazing in a non-wheel seat, and even in a wheel seat, it's better than Cyclone.

I don't even get why Goliath is meh compared to DDD, did you get them mixed up or something?

Ninja is sorta understandable considering you were in the magic seat.

In other news, the new wave pool has just wet itself.

B&M hypers don't do anything for me at all. I was not in a wheel seat on GASM.