TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

The big drop was fun, and the ride up the elevator lift was a bit unnerving. It's the sort of ride system that begs for some sort of dark-ride section before you reach the lift (perhaps a "storm").

I'm disappointed it is leaving. It was fairly popular and looked awesome in the skyline, but I guess they decided it wasn't worth it because of the mechanical issues. I was looking forward to riding it this summer.

This is very weird as the ride is fairly new and was a big investment. Despite the mechanical problems it is a big loss to just get rid of the ride. Unless there is another park that would be interested in buying it. My opinion is that the ride did lose a little pizzazz when it renamed Giraffica.

No big loss here. I've had some pretty fun rides and some pretty painful rides on Giraffica. By painful, I mean sitting in the back, hitting the splash pool, and the whole backside of the boat lurched in the air and came down with a hard thud that went right through my spine. Man that hurt. It was a cool concept, but that space can be utilized for something much better. Holiday World's first major steel coaster perhaps?

Well my speculations have now been confirmed. Not really going to miss the ride. I do have to wonder if there was some type of stipulation in the contract with Intamin or their ride insurance that allows them to collect the money lost on a ride that can no longer operate due to mechanical issues? I don't think would have just thrown away a 6 million dollar investment without getting some of their money back. The ride only lasted four seasons. I don't think they'll leave the huge concrete pad. I'm willing to bet that they'll bust it all up.

Some good news, The Voyage has received a ton of new wood this off-season. From what I can tell, I think they've put new wood in the valley between the 2nd and 3rd hills, portions of the Spaghetti bowl, and from the third 90 degree turn up to the very last tunnel. The new restaurant and gift shop look great right now. I really like the theming involved in it both projects, plus Mrs. Claus's Kitchen. I hope this something they carry over to future ride projects as well. I'm looking forward to my first trip to the park this year!

I might be the few that is surprised. It's a big ride, and the skyline's going to look a little different the next time I hit Holiday World. I enjoyed it's uniqueness, but truth be told, it did seem like a strange ride for Holiday World to have. Oh well, whatever does the park best, and we'll all welcome the new plot of land now available!

Well, I'll miss Pilgrim's Plunge/Giraffica, but if the ride was prone to problems it may be better to close it. I liked it more because it was unique than because it was a spectacular ride. I don't know whether the ride was just really popular or had terrible capacity (or both), but it was the only ride outside the waterpark with more than a 20 minute wait on the day I visited so that must mean something.

As for a replacement, if the station is still on the map and is indeed being left behind then perhaps it will be reused. In that case, a replacement would probably be a coaster or a new water ride instead of more waterslides. I don't really want to speculate on what is coming, as I have no idea and it is far too early to tell, but just for fun I think I'll leave this here.

434896123_HolidayWorldMegalite.jpg.7594f2121a0d153a13c2c5a27b5e0877.jpg

Not saying that I think it will happen, but it could happen. Images from Google Maps.

Well lets take a look at the end of that article.

We hope you’ll join us this season as the Mayflower sails merrily in our Thanksgiving section. And like the good sailors on board the original ship, be sure to keep a steady watch on the horizon.

Hmmm is this maybe a hint? Is their skyline going to be changing? Wishful thinking I know but I'm getting desperate for a new roller coaster at this park! LoL

what I thought was interesting is they're saying that only the tower is being removed so I'm thinking maybe another lazy river since they took one out when they redid the entrance to Splashin Safari or using the in place equipment for more water slides in that area.

^ Well that won't change the skyline at all

I'm thinking another coaster. Pilgrim's Plunge/Giraffica was a major investment and a major ride. They are going to replace it, therefore, with something major, in my opinion. Plus Holiday World has not opened a coaster since 2006, which, as of this post, was 8 years ago.

I see your point but I don't really see them putting a major coaster right there next to the star of the park, Voyage, it will definitely interesting to see their solution though especially with the new owners in charge.

^ You have a point. When you remove a huge, highlight attraction, then you have to replace it with a big, highlight attraction.

Definitely! Like with Cedar Point, I know manypeople don't think GateKeeper is "major," but Cedar Point, in order to follow up the removal of two notable attractions, had to install a major attraction in order to make up for it.

I see your point but I don't really see them putting a major coaster right there next to the star of the park, Voyage, it will definitely interesting to see their solution though especially with the new owners in charge.

I can see them doing it I mean, Legend and Raven aren't located too far apart.

RIP Giraffica

Hopefully this will be the spot for Holiday World's for major steel coaster. If not that maybe a nice family coaster of some sort?

I never thought of them adding a family coaster actually...hmm...The reason why I thought an extreme coaster is, other than The Howler and the Firecracker, they've been known to add only major roller coasters that get international attention, and in order to live up their name, they need another coaster that gets international attention.

I never thought of them adding a family coaster actually...hmm...The reason why I thought an extreme coaster is, other than The Howler and the Firecracker, they've been known to add only major roller coasters that get international attention, and in order to live up their name, they need another coaster that gets international attention.

I disagree with this. A family coaster similar to FireChaser Express would be amazing for the park, even though it wouldn't get international attention.