TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

It looks really clear to me that it stops accelerating well above the yellow portion. It doesn't necessarily slow down, but it isn't speeding up, either. I would assume that's where we'll see it flip back to horizontal, in time for the full brakes to start when the yellow portion is hit.

Well what matters here is, like you said, where it stops accelerating because that's where the freefall feeling ends (or when the acceleration goes well below 9.8). It looks like it will deliver a nice punch and it will be for sure intimidating facing down, but it just doesn't seem like it will be actual freefall for a long time. I guess we'll just have to wait for someone to ride it.

It looks really clear to me that it stops accelerating well above the yellow portion. It doesn't necessarily slow down, but it isn't speeding up, either. I would assume that's where we'll see it flip back to horizontal, in time for the full brakes to start when the yellow portion is hit.

The acceleration due to gravity means absolutely diddly squat when the drop is controlled, as Falcon's Fury appears to be.

It looks like it will deliver a nice punch and it will be for sure intimidating facing down, but it just doesn't seem like it will be actual freefall for a long time. I guess we'll just have to wait for someone to ride it.

I think that even if it's not as crazy as their other towers in terms of the time you're actually dropping, I think the fact that you're facing the ground will more than make up for it (as you pointed out). Plus it's still testing so it may be operating much differently on opening day.

Compared to an ARM/Larson tower which reaches 47mph or Intamin's Giant Drop at almost 80pmh (according to their site).

ARM/Larson towers defy the laws of physics.

ARM/Larson towers defy the laws of physics.

God I have to go on one of those soon! Are they that awesome?

Of all the drop towers I've been on (Lex Luthor, Mach Tower, the Gyro Drops at KD and KI, the 2nd gens at SFA and Carowinds, the 1st gens at SFMM, SFWOA, Dorney and CP, a ton of S&S towers and a ton more that I'm forgetting) that little drop tower at Knoebels puts them all to shame. None of them are even close.

^Agreed. StratosFear @ Knoebels is an ARM 148' model. S&S towers don't do it for me. Intamin 1st and 2nd generation are great but the most airtime I've experienced is on ARM and Moser drop towers.

ARM 105' portable model.

Moser Mega Drop. This is what the OC fair has here In Southern California has I believe. Joey can correct me if I'm wrong as he's the fair ride expert around here.

I came here to comment on the test video that was shared.

I... don't know what to say. It looks like there is a free fall for about 1.5 seconds, maybe covering 100 feet, then a 100 foot speed stabilization phase, a 50 foot break run, and then the car coasts down another 50 feet before coming to a halt. Compare this to Giant drop at Great America, and the second generation intamins free falls, which falls for 3-4 seconds at free fall and decelerates right into the station, only coasting about 10 feet to its final resting place. It seems like this thing is just 100 feet taller but not any faster or longer. I understand there are limitations because of the vertical drop and this is just a test run that could be very different from the final product, but still.

The acceleration due to gravity means absolutely diddly squat when the drop is controlled, as Falcon's Fury appears to be.

Right, and what I mean is that once you're no longer accelerating either with gravity or faster than it (i.e. Tower of Terror), the drop itself is worthless. It'll be interesting to be flipping forward and whatnot during that time, but as far as a freefall goes, you're only going to get that for the first third of the way down - though I'm definitely not knocking it, because the thrill factor of falling face-first might very well be enough to make this the best tower out there.

I have faith this ride will deliver. Busch Gardens has had a great track record for delivering the goods. Gwazi may be the only major ride there that has been a bust for them. I think the layout might have been too ambitious causing the track issues.

Should've went with Moser.

Or maybe with Larson--can you imagine how horrifying a Larson drop ride of that height would be?

Edited by cfc

Here is the above mentioned video - you can see one of the cylinders become detached from the seats. I'd guess that they haven't got the braking quite figured out right and force is too much too quick.