TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Why don't we reserve judgment on the coaster until we ride it! Lots of coasters look lame in videos and then end up being great rides and vice versa. Case in point: I was so psyched to ride Texas Giant after seeing all the videos on it. MAN was I disappointed once I got to ride it.

I think it will be a fun ride and definitely and lot more convenient than Oblivion and L5 (I think that's the name of the other one.) I will be there next Tuesday so I can see if they are still testing and give a first hand account of the speed from the ground view.

My friends were there today (Saturday) and they said it tested. Maybe they closer they get to opening, the more they're going to test it. That would make sense.

Anyway, the ride pretty much looks exactly like I thought it would. Obviously the reverse chain drive isn't it normal operation mode but other than that, it looks great! I really can't wait to take my first ride, front row- left. Looks like it'll be a winner - and another great coaster for my randon visits to BGT!

Joe C.

Why don't we reserve judgment...

I thought that was really funny for some reason..."reserve judgement" don't most theme park message boards seem to focus on ride evaluation or attraction evaluation?

I mean, is premature evaluation really then such a bad thing?

Jose

Don't forget that due to the massive size of both the trains and track, this coaster will look a lot slower than it actually it (just like X). When you look at an airplane flying overhead, dispite the fact that it is going hundreds of miles per hour, it looks slow because it is far away. On most things that are a reasonable distance away, your brain compensates for this when judging speen. However, in this case, your brain sees B&M track and a B&M car without realizing that both are almost twice the normal size, so it thinks that the coaster is closer than it really is, and doesn't properly compensate for distance.

^ Thats a good point. I forgot to take into account the huge size of the track and train into consideration.

I guess I'm alone here though because I was actually impressed by the test videos and the coaster progress overall. I just booked a trip for the second week of may to go check it out.

My seat will be front row center, I like to heartline with B&M track.

-J's

I thought I read that it was opening may 1st? Well, I haven't bought my plane ticket yet, I try to book hotels and rental cars first because I can always change those. I think I'll go contact the park and get the straight dope from them.

Oh I know where I saw it. In one of the construction pictures there was a "May 1st" banner in the background. Of course things can change so I'll look more into it.

J "Gonna check, cause that would suck" J

Looks like you may be right. Crap, I'm going to Cedar Point and PKI that week. I might have to wait until October then. Sorry Joe, I like your state but it's just too hot during the summer.

Heh, everyone says that about the FL summers...I guess I really can't say what my opinions are of them though since I've only ever been here in June, never July or August yet.

Either way, God created air conditioning for a reason!

Joe "loves it hott" C.

^I never found the Florida weather that bad!!!

Keep in mind that I would go from:

Air Conditioned House to

Air Conditioned Car to

Air Conditioned Work/School to

Air Conditioned Car to

Air Conditioned House

Repeat.

If you have to be outside...then you'll be in for some serious suckage! At least when it's really hot it will pour at like 4pm and cool you off for like 15 minutes!

Elissa "but then it turns into a greenhouse!" Alvey

Well, remember how the BGT management guy called it a "family coaster" during the announcement of the ride? I know a dive machine doesn't sound like much of a family coaster, but given the video, maybe that term makes more sense now!

The recent B&M's seem to be aiming for the average patron's endurance, not the thrill seeker's, so naturally, they're not as intense. For the parks that purchase them, this is smarter, since more people can enjoy the coasters, but for enthusiasts or experienced coaster riders, this means their top coasters won't be changing for a while, since the new ones don't quite pack the same punch.

I don't think it's a bad thing, either way, though.

Well, maybe they're keeping this one less intense now for PR reasons...remember, tis the season for the media to scrutinize roller coasters (or anything else considered by us young people as fun ^_^) , where even the most minor incident will end up on the evening news.

Yep, that's normal Floridian behavior and I tend to avoid the parks like the plague in the summer since I'm spoiled. Waiting in lines that are over 30-40 mins for the Orlando parks is torture.

Air Conditioning is where its at down here.

The benefits and curses of being a local...

George

^I never found the Florida weather that bad!!!

Keep in mind that I would go from:

Air Conditioned House to

Air Conditioned Car to

Air Conditioned Work/School to

Air Conditioned Car to

Air Conditioned House

Repeat.

If you have to be outside...then you'll be in for some serious suckage! At least when it's really hot it will pour at like 4pm and cool you off for like 15 minutes!

Elissa "but then it turns into a greenhouse!" Alvey

Just got back from BGT with some more pics. I think the coaster looks awesome, and one of the best features is the way the first drop is visible from the lift hill.

It is probably more psychological than anything, but as you ascend the 200 feet, a look to your right and all you see is track headed straight down. That should freak some people out!

Also, I don't think the crowds are ever that bad at BGT. One of the reasons is that the usual crowd there is 60+ if not older, and they tend to avoid the thrill rides. When I went on Tuesday, everything was a walk on. At one point, I was the only one on Cheetah Chase. Not the only one in my car, but the only one on the whole ride! Of course, the ride is sort of lame, but nevertheless!

But DO avoid HallowScream for crowds. It took us an hour just to get into the parking lot, and everything in the park was an hour to 1 1/2 hour wait. They really need to do a better job with traffic off I-75 to that left turn at the park.

They recently completed the underpass for trams from the parking lot, but it is still a 2 lane road that leads to the parking lot.

She2.jpg.6d66254b287618cb72d78d8ba10015ed.jpg

She1.jpg.73e429c7cf25534701279692d69276d5.jpg

I know that we were all hoping for a better Sheikra than the video showed, but the frist drop and immelman looked awesome. The immelman will probably deliver some hang time and the drop looks awesome. The only problem is I think that teh train stays to long at the edge of the lift. How many cars is this thing going to run? Because it looks like the line is going to go VERY slow.

---Brent 8)

• 8 months later...

Well, I was reading a rumor on the Florida Coaster Club's message board that the Python at BGT will be going away. It may be replaced by an orangatan exhibit (which used to be where SheiKra is at). The Python was the first roller coaster at BGT, so historically, it'll be sad for their first to go away. On the other hand, I rarely ride it because it's so painful and a head banger! Maybe they can send the Pythong to BGW. We got their mouse. Perhaps we can do a fair trade?

Edited by larrygator

They may as well get rid of it. Its probably the most ignored coaster in Florida. I guess if it really is being removed, personally I would like to see a different ride put in its place. However I guess the orangatan exhibit needs to go somewhere..