TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I don't think the park will ever make the full conversion to steel or alter the design of The Voyage. This ride was Will Koch's baby and one of the main reasons the family got into this whole legal dispute was differing opinions in the parks future. Dan's side obviously wanted to go with the more of the corporate Herschend feel and expand the number of parks they owned. Lori's side wanted to keep Will's vision going and pass it on to one of his children as he wished. They're not going to change anything that meant so much to him and something that he had so much input on. I do feel as though that they should explore every option available to make the Voyage as great as they can for as long as possible. It would be a great way to honor his legacy

• 4 weeks later...

Holiday World on May 15th is giving free admission, a Voyage photo walk back, ERT, and a meal to coaster club enthusiasts according to their Holiwood nights page:

Are you planning to be in the area on Thursday, May 15? If you're a card-carrying member of one of our partner clubs, you'll receive free admission! Plus a Voyage photo walkback, a bit of ERT and a meal. Any takers?

Edited by mikeykaise

Took a look today on their website, and saw that they recently updated their park map for 2014. Like they announced on Twitter before, they have relocated the kiddie bumper boats from Christmas all the way over by Hyena Falls in Splashin' Safari under a new name. But that wasn't the only thing I noticed that had changed on the map.

missinggiraffica.jpg.9e3ae6f1c67bec9e2b844a7fb02ed598.jpg

Giraffica escapes from the Safari?

Not going to give any ideas about what may be going on, but my curiosity is piqued that such a large attraction like Giraffica is missing from the map.

I can't seem to find any info about the 15th? Only the 30th and 31st of May. Is this day like a practise run for the main event hence free entry and meal etc? Would be amazing luck if there is an event on the 15th as I happen to be visiting that day during my 2 week self guided tour around the Midwest, fingers well and truly crossed

^ They closed it down before the cedar point accident so Intamin could figure out a way to improve the rides horrible down time due to maintenance issues. If memory serves me correct, they've had major issues with the splash down area. When the ride was announced, it was supposed to create a 30 ft high and 90 ft wide wave. The boats aren't heavy enough to create the wave that was promised. This made them angle the track so boat has to practically to take a nose dive into the splashdown. This causes the boat to have a major slam down in the back of the boat when hits the splashdown, which leads to a uncomfortable experience in those hard seats. You also don't even get wet in the of the back the boat. They're having some type of issue with the track and or the boats. I don't think there is an Intamin cable to blame this time.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

^ We noticed that when we rode in the back row last June as the partner took a pretty good whack at the bottom which left a nasty little bruise. Needless to say, we did not ride again even though it was 95 degrees and the ride was a walk-on.

I can't seem to find any info about the 15th? Only the 30th and 31st of May. Is this day like a practise run for the main event hence free entry and meal etc? Would be amazing luck if there is an event on the 15th as I happen to be visiting that day during my 2 week self guided tour around the Midwest, fingers well and truly crossed

Andy,

You have to join the Holiwood Nights page on FB, Paula posted it there. Here's the link to the HW Nights group page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/325861871036/

^ We noticed that when we rode in the back row last June as the partner took a pretty good whack at the bottom which left a nasty little bruise. Needless to say, we did not ride again even though it was 95 degrees and the ride was a walk-on.

It doesn't help that they ask people to ride in the back to balance the weight of the train out either. I mean I understand why they ask their guests to ride in the back, but it's definitely not my preference.

I couldn't see the picture of the map on my phone earlier, but I find it interesting that the station for Giraffica is still there. HW seems to pretty quiet about the ride. Somebody on Facebook asked if they were removing the ride a few days ago and there was no response which is weird because HW usually responds to most questions. If you've watched any of their videos on the construction of The Mayflower, it seems anytime the camera is in the direction of Giraffica, the camera is angled to where you can't see the ride or even if a ride is there . I've also been trying to view the webcams, but they will not pull up. The ride is still listed on the website, but something seems very odd here.

I know you guys think that the Voyage will never be turned into what IRAT is, but it will probably happen IMO.

The ride is rough, really jerky, the trains are tearing the coaster apart from what I have heard.

RMC just might be in their contact book.

And about Girrafica, it's weird. Really weird, why would they have the station but no ride? If it does indeed get removed maybe an Intamin 300 ft Giga could replace it?

I just find it very strange that the ride is blatantly missing from the park map and no official announcement has come from the park yet. That isn't really Holiday World's style...

I just find it very strange that the ride is blatantly missing from the park map and no official announcement has come from the park yet. That isn't really Holiday World's style...

Not something the old powers that be would have done that is for sure. They would have announced something before making the change. I wonder if it could be an oops that it was left off the park map, maybe?

Can anybody look at the webcams? You should be able to see the ride clearly from the water park cam. I would do it myself, but they won't pull up on my computer. The only way I can see them not saying anything is if it has something to do with next years announcement.

It could be the Son Of Beast of Holiday World. Removed for a better ride, even though HW has a TON of room for expansion.

http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2014/04/17/wisdom-sir-isaac/

Sir Isaac Newton said it first: “What goes up must come down.”

Centuries later, Blood, Sweat & Tears set the phrase to music.

Whether you prefer physics or ’60s pop-culture references, it’s time for us to let you know that Giraffica, the ride formerly known as Pilgrims Plunge, is no more. The tower is being removed this week.

If you’re one of our super-fans, you’re probably not surprised. You’ve noticed the ride has not been open as often as we all would have liked. We sincerely apologize for the disappointment.

In researching the story of the Mayflower, we learned that there was originally a second ship filled with Pilgrims. It was called the Speedwell. In 1620, the two ships set sail for the New World but they were forced to turn back. It seems Speedwell was simply not up to the voyage that was to come.

And so the Pilgrims from both ships set sail that September on board the Mayflower, heading toward freedom. They took along what they could from Speedwell, but were forced to leave behind that which could no longer serve them well.

Sir Isaac also said, “for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.” This action we just took? It isn’t the end of our Thanksgiving feast.

We hope you’ll join us this season as the Mayflower sails merrily in our Thanksgiving section. And like the good sailors on board the original ship, be sure to keep a steady watch on the horizon.

Honestly not going to miss it one iota. Empty concrete pad might be a better attraction.

Edited by jedimaster1227