Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 282: HHN Photo Trip Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby rcdude » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:03 am

The Yeti wrote:From the description of the new Fast & Furious ride, I have to think it will be a simulator or something similar to the Forbidden Journey robot arm technology. I've never been a big fan of the F&F movies, but a new coaster could certainly warrant my first trip to USF. I've never been to Universal in Hollywood, but it seems that it has made and is making a drastic change - which is very exciting!

Unfortunately, it's nothing on that scale. The Fast and Furious attraction is just another addition to the tram tour. From the announcement, it sounds identical to the King Kong segment, which I find disappointing. King Kong 360 3D is probably my least favorite section of the tour, and I'd much rather the route add more backlot time than another gimmicky attraction, as it is a tour after all (on the plus side, it will make holding those 3D glasses for the entire ride slightly less annoying...slightly)

The rest of the new developments, however, sound great. Despicable Me seems like it could be the one of the best rides at the park, Springfield was popular in Florida and I'm sure it will complement the Simpsons Ride nicely, and I'm very excited about Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I'm not sure if I'll get to visit the park before 2016 (might try to get there this summer, but if I don't make it I'll probably just wait), but hopefully by then the park will no longer feel insanely overpriced like it currently does. I really like the park, I just can't justify visiting more than once every 3-4 years at the price they charge.
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Maverick, Banshee
Top 5 Wood: Boulder Dash, El Toro, Thunderhead, Gold Striker, Lightning Racer
Top 3 Parks: Holiday World, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Cedar Point
TPR Trips: IntimidaTour 2010, North East Trip 2011, LeviaTHON 2012, Mini Tours 2014 (New Hotness & East Coast)

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:07 am

^ Less than Disney and SeaWorld is too expensive? I bought the "3 for the price of 1" pass, $80 to visit 3 times in one year, and view it as one of the best deals available!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:35 am

KBrylczyk wrote:^ Yeah, the producers (not writers) rode the tram tour and were so embarassed by the Tokyo Drift section that they demanded it be immediately shut down that instant. The park complied and shuttered it ASAP. They didn't even let it play out for the rest of the day. It stayed closed until they removed it recently.

It hasn't been removed. It's just closed.

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 pm

^ I stand corrected. I could have sworn I read an update recently that showed a dirt pit where it used to be.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Jew » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:53 pm

The dirt is the former mummy tunnel, which will be the home of Fast & Furious 2.0

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:47 pm

So now that Minion Mayhem is officially open, is Super Silly Fun Land open, as well? Or is it still under construction? I don't want to waste the drive and a visit if I can't see the entire new area.

Postby Jew » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:54 pm

The playground and Silly Swirly are open. The water play area is not open yet/

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:56 pm

Thank ya! Has any timeframe been announced for when the rest will open?

Postby Jew » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:08 pm

No, but they had the water running for the media event today...so I can't imagine it will be too much longer.

KidTums' personal piano player

Postby wrs28330 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:14 am

Despicable Me Minion Mayhem is now open!

Theme Park Review was invited to attend the official YELLOW Carpet premier of Despicable Me Minion Mayhem on Friday April 11th, ahead of the official ride opening on April 12th.

Follow William and Melissa as they enjoy the event, and take a look at just a few more pictures from the day!

As always, a big "thank you" to Universal Studios Hollywood and Trana Pittam for hosting us, and congratulations on opening another great attraction!
20140411_141804.jpg
After the event, the ride was available for day Guests.
20140411_142908.jpg
By 2:30, the line was still only 20 minutes!
IMG_0279.JPG
Our favorite Super Villain!
IMG_0280.JPG
They are kinda cute, for being Joey-sized!
IMG_0278.JPG
No Banana for you!
IMG_0274.JPG
Super Silly Fun Land is (almost fully) open! The dry play ground and flat ride are open, and the wet play ground should open any day.
IMG_0266.JPG
Dry play ground.
IMG_0276.JPG
Wet play ground.
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0270.JPG
And the Silly Swirly flat ride. (Watch it in action in the video above!)
20140411_113952.jpg
See you real soon USH!
Last edited by robbalvey on Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:19 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!