California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

P. 1176: Cedar Fair complete park land purchase!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:44 am

The rain was no problem for Gold Striker, which is still running phenomenally.

Well I wouldn't think so since 99% of the ride takes place in a tunnel at this point. ;)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby milo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:18 pm

Hey, I'm heading up to Great America in a week. Does anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive, yet decent, motels in the area? I'll just be staying the night, then heading down to Santa Cruz.

Thanks.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby sfcoasterfan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 am

^ Do you already have tickets or a season pass? The Hilton right at the parking lot entrance usually has decent package deals with park tickets, room and breakfast- ~$140 total for two of us last time for all of that. The rooms look into the park and you can walk to the turnstiles in about five minutes.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mark549 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:53 am

laqueefa wrote:Amtrak is supposed to be a beautiful ride down from Oregon.

The northbound California to Oregon route is one of the nicest Amtrak routes. You go over five thousand feet elevation over Willamette Pass in the Cascades. Southbound it's night at the summit unless it's around summer solstice. You don't get to see Mt. Shasta either direction, but if the train is late you might see it northbound at dawn. The southern California route of the "Coast Starlight" is also dramatic, especially where it goes through Vandenburg Air Force Base.

It's easy to transfer from Amtrak to the light rail to get to Great America. CGA is probably one of the best parks in the country for access by train.

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:11 am

sfcoasterfan wrote:^ Do you already have tickets or a season pass? The Hilton right at the parking lot entrance usually has decent package deals with park tickets, room and breakfast- ~$140 total for two of us last time for all of that. The rooms look into the park and you can walk to the turnstiles in about five minutes.

Agreed. The Santa Clara Hilton is a great hotel. I would call them directly to inquire about the CGA package deals as I don't believe the deal is available for Friday and Saturday night stays.
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby milo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:13 am

I actually have season passes and free parking for both Six Flags and Cedar Fair, so I won't need any additional packages. The Hilton does look nice, but the rates are a bit out of my budget. Any opinions/experiences with the Super 8 motel chain?

sfcoasterfan wrote:^ Do you already have tickets or a season pass? The Hilton right at the parking lot entrance usually has decent package deals with park tickets, room and breakfast- ~$140 total for two of us last time for all of that. The rooms look into the park and you can walk to the turnstiles in about five minutes.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby dannyboy13 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:49 am

Quality Inn Santa Clara Convention Center is not bad. I stayed there a couple years ago. Cheap, clean.... about all you can ask for, and maybe 5 minutes drive from the park

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Tmcdllr » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:38 pm

Avatar with an IHOP, right across the street from the park.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby milo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:04 pm

Thanks for everyone's input. Very helpful.

BTW, is Moffett Field still active, as far as aircraft flying over?

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:38 pm

milo wrote:Thanks for everyone's input. Very helpful.

BTW, is Moffett Field still active, as far as aircraft flying over?

Moffett Field is still very much active these days. It's not uncommon to see a fighter jet flying over the western Santa Clara Valley, though Moffett's flight path is miles west of CGA.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!