Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

P. 82: New Marvel expansion rendering released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
This is how Canadians get their rocks off!

New attractions announced for HKD

Postby johnrose » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:07 pm

Hong Kong Disneyland to add three attractions as part of expansion plan
HONG KONG (AP) - Hong Kong Disneyland announced Monday that it planned to add three new attractions to the theme park as part of its expansion plan.

The additions are the Autopia electric car ride, the Stitch Encounter, a theatre show, and the UFO Zone _ made up of a water-squirting robot, rocket ship and flying saucer, said Hong Kong Disney spokeswoman Esther Wong.

The three games _ located in the Tomorrowland section of the park _ will be open to the public this summer, Wong said.

She declined to say how much was being spent to construct the three attractions.

Wong said the Hong Kong government is expected to finish reclaiming land by 2008 for the construction of the second phase of the park.

At 126 hectares Hong Kong Disneyland, opened in September, is the smallest Disney park in the world, but Bill Ernest, the park's managing director, said the company is ``reviewing expansion plans for the park.''

``This is a long-term improvement measure designed to do two things: increase capacity by a steady program of expansion and enhance the guest experience with thrilling new attractions and features,'' Ernest told Hong Kong legislators during a legislative session.

In response to admission problems that erupted during the Chinese New Year when the park was overwhelmed, Ernest said they planned to improve logistical measures for times when the company needs to restrict access to the park.

Hundreds of angry visitors from mainland China and Taiwan tried to force their way into the park _ with some clambering over its iron fence _ during the Chinese New Year after they were denied entry because it was full.

The park is a joint venture between The Walt Disney Co. and the Hong Kong government, which shouldered the bulk of its construction fee.

Random Ranter

Postby kenshinmac » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:57 pm

Ugh... Stitch... Sorry People... Hong Kong just got owned...

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:09 pm

Wow, that may have been the shortest Disney Press Release ever, and even came equipped with negative publicity! Glad to see they're starting on phase 2 though. Hopefully at this rate, if I visit by next Christmas, they'll be on their 3rd park with 7 coasters!
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

Non-German Tom

Postby Shockwave » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:18 pm

Yeah, it's good to see that the expansion is starting so soon. There's gonna be a lot of this for many years to come at the park. Will be interesting to see how they deal with the capacity issues at the park in the short term, it's gonna be up there as one of the busiest parks in the world before long.

TPR's 1st Furry

Postby Damien666 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:59 pm

Ok, glad to hear about the new rides since HKDL needs them. But Stitch Encounter??!! If this is like SGE they will be just installing a failure right off the bat! :angry:
Furries, we are everywhere and I am one of them.(Not like CSI though!)
There is also NO safe place for Elissa to hide! :twisted:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby mdmleota17 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:02 pm

Likewise, it's good that HKDL is getting more rides, but if Stitch Encounter is their best idea... well... time for some new imagineers! They could be so original with that, but that'll take a few years I presume.

Random Ranter

Postby kenshinmac » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:38 pm

You know the only thing you can say about the Stitch Encounter is that it has a heck of a capacity... That might be the only reason it is getting buit...

Mmm... Xcelerator...

Postby COOOOLkid » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:04 pm

I heard Stitch'll be more of a "theatre show" like Crush @ DCA, instead of a copy from WDW

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:44 pm

Stitch is a large scale version of what was in innoventions at DL. NOT SGE from WDW.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:14 am

Haunted Colonial Jungle Mansion - Pirates of Asian Waters - Indiana Jones Adventure Ride :wink:

Me - want - now.

:cry:

(EDIT: These are all fantasy me-wants BTW... Not actual possibles...)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!