TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 45: New Zootopia details!

Well, that still looks cool, but it's closer to what we have at Disneyland Paris. Hope the boat ride will be superior, though! And please Disney, give us AA's. A lot of them. If you want to do a tribute to POTC and not include a ton of AA, you're doing it wrong.

I'd be happy with a Pirates on the same level as Paris version. Definitely the best of them IMO.

^Yep--parks rarely look exactly like their concept art. I wonder if the Shanghai ride will be anything like what they were toying with for Hong Kong Disney. As I recall, that was "Splash Mountain Meets POTC."

A Pirates of the Caribbean shooting dark ride could be cool.

I just watched a video of

, as I heard the Shanghai ride will use some sort of similar technology, and while I'm a little bit disappointed there won't be as much AA as in the original rides, I really think there's a big potential and can't wait to see the finished product.

With all the advances in projection/lighting technology, AA's are really a thing of the past. Unless you do them on the scale of Lava Monster (or the Yeti when it was working), they're not that impressive compared to what can be done with projections now when mixed with impressive physical sets.

^ A Universal employee would say that.

Wes wins the internet!

With all the advances in projection/lighting technology, AA's are really a thing of the past. Unless you do them on the scale of Lava Monster (or the Yeti when it was working), they're not that impressive compared to what can be done with projections now when mixed with impressive physical sets.

See, and I think its the exact opposite. Large scale projections like Spiderman, Transformers, Forbidden Journey, and Flos in Racers work because they are larger then life, literally. Its impracticable or impossible to build these scenes out, so a projection is used. But on smaller scales, like with Racers, Ariel, or Pirates or Jurassic Park the AAs look great and would be totally silly to use projections for those things.

Sometimes it's required for space concerns, but minus that I would hope parks continue to build AAs because I think most are more impressed with those then a giant screen.

, and

^^ Even on Forbidden Journey, the movie pods were by far the least interesting parts of the ride, it's when you're moving through the physical sets when the ride gets interesting. Plus that random Hermione projection in the spider woods part was soooo dumb.

^^ Even on Forbidden Journey, the movie pods were by far the least interesting parts of the ride, it's when you're moving through the physical sets when the ride gets interesting. Plus that random Hermione projection in the spider woods part was soooo dumb.

Agreed. I preferred the sections with the physical effects, such as the Whomping Willow and the Dementors, to the projected stuff.

But a good mix of projections and physical effects (as in Spider-man) can be very effective.

Edited by cfc

^^ Yes, and actually that technic was already used in Spiderman and all the 3D dark-ride,

But the level of detail used for the "Box" video requires one point of view, and when I mean one, it's not a vehicule, it's one person. (I actually thought about a dark ride using advanced anamorphosis and mapping like that, but yep, vehicules would carry only one person at a time)

Edited by KingRCT3

What happened to the first version of the land?

There was a stunt show!

There's two distinct show buildings in the new picture….

Wait, yes, I just saw that the POTC ride is actually the small building in the right. (New version in full scale)

That big building might be the stunt show. I hope the dark ride doesn't get relayed to second place...

That big building might be the stunt show.

Mmmmmm EPIC Dinner Theater!!!

Actually, I am sure the space needed to pull off an awesome PoTC is not lost on the

Imagineers, and the whole building may not be shown, to the right of the concept artwork.

And of course, if it's anything like the car stunt shows at Paris and Florida,

to cover an entire arena up is still something to do, these days.

This is a visit to take, simple.

^ A Universal employee would say that.

You got me there...

Seriously though, animatronics done right are still very impressive. I should have expanded upon my original examples of lava monster and the Yeti to include smaller ones that are also very impressive. However, I still think that projection mapping/lighting done right is equally as impressive as an animatronic. I was thinking of rides like Transformers, Spiderman, and even the new Thunder Mountain finale as examples that come to mind of how projection/lighting can be just as impressive when mixed with physical sets.

What I was really getting at is that it takes a lot more for an animatronic to "wow" now because of how far technology has advanced. The best example that comes to mind for me is the Log Ride at KBF: you can't say anything bad about the re-do, it's well done and fun, but you're not going "OMFG wow!" either.