Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 275: Halloween Horror Nights 2019 scare zones revealed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:07 pm

I'll just add one more photo since you covered everything else! I swung by the park on my way to work, but you Covered everything!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394928450.602036.jpg

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:31 pm

I didn't realize that they were devoting so much real estate to Despicable Me. Reminds of what they did for the Simpsons in Florida.

Postby Jew » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:27 pm

It takes up all of t2 and coke soak---essentially the first land for ush!

Postby Jew » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Everybody loves signs, right?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395008154.540845.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395008195.608711.jpg

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:10 pm

Top Thrill Dragster wrote:
imageuploadedbytapatalk1394922102.jpg

Who wants to bet that universal doesn't theme the building from this angle or from the tram? I like all the additions, and I do enjoy potter, but UNI has a really nasty habit of half-assing their projects in this way. This building in Florida is completely unfinished besides what the castle and rock covers on the front entrance. You can see the ride building from all over IOA. I think this will be worse, cause the building will be totally visible from so many areas of the park, tram route and even the parks front entrance! I hope they plant some trees and paint the building to at least try and make it blend, but based off their track record, I highly doubt it.

KidTums' personal piano player

Postby wrs28330 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:04 pm

This morning, Universal Studios Hollywood invited Theme Park Review to preview their newest attraction: Despicable Me Minion Mayhem. This attraction is almost identical to its predecessor in Orlando, with the addition of a second theater here in LA!
We will get right to the pictures of this new attraction, and then take a short lap around the park.
We would like to extend a very heartfelt “Thank you!” to Trana and Gayle of USH Public Relations for inviting us to be amongst the first guests to experience this wonderful addition ahead of the official ride opening!
001.JPG
The attraction facade transitions nicely when you arrive via Baker Street.
002.JPG
003.JPG
The final touches are still being put on the exterior of the attraction, as they approach the attractions official grand opening on April 10th.
004.JPG
Little gems such as practical doorbells on the facade help bring the area to life. “We dare you! Ring the doorbell! Bwah-ha-ha!!!!!”
005.JPG
006.JPG
Park Guests may be surprised when they happen upon the “Technical Rehearsal” taking place from now until April 10th. As with any soft-opening…what the sign says.
007.JPG
Friendly employees are ready to welcome first time riders. They have a lot to take pride in with this attraction!
008.JPG
The queue is well done, with plenty of goodies to keep riders entertained before heading into the show building.
009.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG
Plenty of queue space ready for the summer crowds.
012.JPG
Missile speakers! Possibly my favorite detail of the attraction!
013.JPG
Minion propaganda is just so darn adorable, isn’t it?!
014.JPG
Overhead monitors in the queue have a ton of great content to keep the guests entertained.
015.JPG
Don’t forget your 3-D glasses!
016.JPG
“The last pair of glasses from each rack is the lucky one!”
017.JPG
Upon entering the entry hallway of Gru’s mansion, you are grouped into one of eight rows. The employees use tablets to ensure they group the guests as efficiently as possible.
018.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG
Lion, Dog, Cat, Rat.
021.JPG
Before entering the anti-chamber of the main lab, the Minions come on screen to welcome us.
022.JPG
Fun fact: The Minions listen to 102.7 KIIS FM!
023.JPG
In the anti-chamber we see Gru and the girls for the first time.
024.JPG
Wait… Where are all the people disappearing to, and where did all the Minions come from? Wait a second…..
025.JPG
“Ba-na-na-aaaaa!!” Once you enter the main lab, the real adventure begins. Groups of 8 riders get into small vehicles similar to the ride vehicles on The Simpson’s Ride. Filming is not allowed inside the main lab.
026.JPG
When the ride is done, guests move to the party room, where they can dance with super-imposed Minions.
027.JPG
Guests were loving this fun dance party on their way out of the attraction.
028.JPG
There is of course plenty of Minion merchandise.
029.JPG
030.JPG
031.JPG
IT’S SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!!!
032.JPG
Gru and the girls take turns meeting guests near the attraction entrance.
033.JPG
034.JPG
Super Silly Fun Land, is not quite ready for guests yet, but will include both dry and wet play areas for younger guests, as well as a dumbo-style flat ride called Silly Swirly.
035.JPG
036.JPG
037.JPG
Gru’s Lab Café sits near the exit of the gift shop, and is already open for business.
038.JPG
039.JPG
Elsewhere in the park, the Transformers have added a second Meet & Greet location. You can now meet them in the Universal Plaza as well as near the attraction entrance at the lower lot.
040.JPG
The new games area is proving to be popular with guests. They fill out the Simpsons Plaza quite well.
041.JPG
And now a few shots of Potter Land as we make our way to the studio tour.
042.JPG
043.JPG
044.JPG
Typical Hogwarts building materials.
045.JPG
It was a (somewhat) clear day over the Hollywood area.
046.JPG
These Minions are everywhere!
047.JPG
Hey Robb, did you hear?!?!
048.JPG
I rode the tram tour a few days after the passing of actor Paul Walker from The Fast and the Furious franchise several months ago. The tour guide mentioned the passing of the actor, as we casually drove by the Tokyo Drift set. Today, there was no mention of the actor, and we once again drove past the set. Not sure if it is still “too soon”, or an unrelated reason.
049.JPG
The Jaws set is drained for maintenance.
050.JPG
“Hi, I’m Sheriff Woody! Howdy, howdy, howdy!”
051.JPG
Norman Bates is still alive and well!
052.JPG
By noon, the wait time for Despicable Me Minion Mayhem grew to 55 minutes! This is going to be a very popular new attraction for USH! Congratulation to the park on this hit!
053.JPG
“Ba dam haw ta mu tah!” In English: "Be sure to see us when we officially open on April 10th! Banana!" Thank you again to Universal Studios Hollywood for hosting us today! We look forward to seeing you again at the Yellow Carpet Premier on April 10th!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Looks like Universal Hollywood did a great job incorporating the Despicable Me universe into the park (much like Florida did with the Simpsons).

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby GO MUFC!!! » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:31 pm

Great report!Do you know if there is going to be a single rider line?
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/ce417fa166aba6539858d7b96412309d.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Jew » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:00 pm

^As of now, there is no single rider line.

Lion, Dog, Cat, Rat.

Elissa will be very disappointed to know you forgot the cheese!
Last edited by Jew on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:01 pm.

KidTums' personal piano player

Postby wrs28330 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:04 pm

Jew wrote:^As of now, there is no single rider line.

Lion, Dog, Cat, Rat.

Elissa will be very disappointed to know you forgot the cheese!

The mouse has cheese in its mouth?!?!?!?!?!?! I wish I had a crazy lens now!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!