TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

I believe that when the attraction first opened, the flashlights had

on/off buttons on them, to push the light on, etc. But when the gp were

having problems with operating the things, the company just decided

to eliminate the button, and the flashlight would be "on" during the

whole ride. So all you had to do was just point the thing at the blue

construction helmets. And stuff happened.

By the way, we were in the last car, and had no problems whatsoever,

aiming and "hitting" various targets on the ride. To us this was no different

than Buzz Lightyear, where you had other cars' riders "cross shooting"

into target areas you were shooting at.

For myself, this is just another variation of Aquatopia. It's just for

family fun, no contest involved, and it tests a new (then) version of

tracked vehicle, that could be used in a future attraction.

(And if you were a kid handling that flashlight, this would be all very

cool to you, I'd suspect.)

^^I kind of felt the same way about 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea over at Tokyo DisneySea. The ride is amazing as it is, and while it is neat to control the sub's lights to see a little bit more at the end, it didn't really add much to the attraction.

That being said, most of the nonsensical elements and attractions (I'm looking at you Storm Rider) at the Tokyo Disneyland Resort are better than most other attractions Disney has built elsewhere.

^^I kind of felt the same way about 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea over at Tokyo DisneySea. The ride is amazing as it is, and while it is neat to control the sub's lights to see a little bit more at the end, it didn't really add much to the attraction.

That being said, most of the nonsensical elements and attractions (I'm looking at you Storm Rider) at the Tokyo Disneyland Resort are better than most other attractions Disney has built elsewhere.

I can't remember stormchaser apart from the gun looking a bit funnier on the video screen. It was fun but probably one of the most forgettable rides of disneysea (only because all the others are so awesome)

P1070546.thumb.jpg.5fdccbab7ffaab5e2f98a5047644b6fc.jpg

What I found most amusing about the lights in 20,000 Leagues is how the Atlanteans would hide from them.

I feel like I should chime in a bit here, if we're looking more at Disney's Target Demograhic Kristen LOVES the flashlight on Monsters and the light you can control on 20k Leagues. She even bought one of the flashlights they sell in the Monsters Gift Shop! For adults, we get that it doesn't really do much, but for kids, they love doodads and having control and those are two of her favorite rides at the resort. That being said, next month she SHOULD be tall enough for Journey and Raging Spirits so I'm hoping at least Journey will take her top spot!

• 3 weeks later...

From the blog:

Disney Parks Blog

"Our friends at Tokyo Disneyland just announced that a new version of Jungle Cruise – Jungle Cruise: Wildlife Expeditions – will debut at the park this fall.

Jungle-Cruise-Elephants

Jungle-Cruise-Elephants.jpg.793d6b34c21bf0f738e2262014895189.jpg

The attraction has been popular with Tokyo Disneyland guests since the park opened in 1983. The new version will feature enhanced special effects and lighting, new original music, and a new “nighttime” version that will offer guests a thrilling new look at the jungle.

Jungle Cruise: Wildlife Expeditions will officially open at the park September 8, 2014."

This is pretty vague... I wonder if there will be more involved then they are letting on. I mean, if its just a small plus to the ride, they don't normally publicize them. They didn't with adding music to Space in Florida, and they didn't when they added new effects to Indy in California. So, I am thinking there will be more to come on this.

They're gonna add a drop.

Which will flood in places it shouldn't, removed and replaced with a bunch of treadmills in the middle of canal to move the boat over where the drop/ lift back up used to be.

• 2 weeks later...

The first ever Oswald The Lucky Rabbit meet & greet at a Disney park opened up at Tokyo DisneySea today and we just happened to be there for the first day! Check out some of these photos and video of the experience:

IMG_5661.thumb.JPG.894067dc6a43b606474d5ab7263c41fd.JPG

For those of you who might now know, Oswald is the cartoon character Walt created before Mickey, but was owned by other studios. In 2006, Disney bought the rights to Oswald back so he could be part of the Disney library.

IMG_5662.thumb.JPG.ef9d93952cb4de0056bce8a7a13eaee9.JPG

Hey look! It's Oswald the Lucky Rabbit! His first ever Disney Park Meet & Greet is here at Tokyo DisneySea!

IMG_5670.thumb.JPG.0c491d591b56b44bfb0ccd9de55dc76c.JPG

Here's what the Meet & Greet looks like - It's in the Cape Cod area around the corner from the Duffy meet & greet.

IMG_5677.thumb.JPG.92aa5e360ff6dd4134019de8daf0e9df.JPG

Smile! You're with Oswald!

IMG_5614.thumb.JPG.8e78c75b9dfedb1a53838e20d1a56ede.JPG

Lots of new Oswald merchandise is also available right now at Tokyo DisneySea!

IMG_5682.thumb.JPG.322423c6c0e16b61cd7f36843dedcde2.JPG

Now it's our turn to meet the guy!

IMG_5723.thumb.JPG.c85c2e7850c5cbdb8c1b44b40926b497.JPG

The park took a really nice photo...

IMG_5726.thumb.JPG.2476be64b28fe31c7a407372cab6313f.JPG

...and it came in this really cool, high quality custom folder!

IMG_5752.thumb.JPG.f0f6c9f564ae5701f1fff49dc6e94e35.JPG

Kristen hanging out with the rabbit!

I also find it interesting, that if you look at the "background" used for the photos,

the hanging eggs are the only things in colours. Everything else is in shades

of browns and tans and sepia.

LIke in a old time Oswald-type photo. I like it!

I also find it interesting, that if you look at the "background" used for the photos,

the hanging eggs are the only things in colours. Everything else is in shades

of browns and tans and sepia.

LIke in a old time Oswald-type photo. I like it!

It's all part of the spring time Easter celebration, so that's probably why. Both parks are decked our in colorful eggs and stuff!

image.thumb.jpg.190e9b3a35dcd8a9c3c8c6d764cc7b69.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.f08e5b635cf164e059dc825c36e9c6bd.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.47216f5a26954da7df14612ab81dc56b.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.b8c67d664e3c44faef47a10e7b1720ed.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.930e707def21c9842806dd9d028b13d2.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.1abcac02f719d11fb8f1ab55487a82cf.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.3ecac35e33ba352f5e51633ccf6e585a.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.8e9358724cf94a9f856322da157a24b8.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.ed5628906cf2ec52aa3813f9fe27d473.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

Stop teasing! It's like June of 2011 all over again, LOL.

(The Easter celebration ended in June, when we were there.)

Great shots of the Easter themeing, Robb.

At the right time of year, too.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/403117/tokyo-disney-visitors-reach-record-high

The Tokyo Disney Resort amusement park complex near Tokyo marked a record-high 31.3 million visitors in fiscal 2013 due to events commemorating its 30th anniversary and a better Japanese economy, the operator said.

The resort complex, which opened as Tokyo Disneyland in 1983 with Tokyo DisneySea added in 2001, had 13.8% more visitors over the previous year as the events were held throughout the year ended in March, Oriental Land Co said.

New attractions including the ride "Star Tours: The Adventures Continue" introduced at Disneyland last May, and seasonal events also contributed to the rise in visitors to the parks in Urayasu, Chiba Prefecture, it said.

It was the second straight year for the combined number of visitors to the parks to reach a record high, according to the operator.

But Oriental Land said it expects a decline in visitors in fiscal 2014 after the 30th anniversary festivities.