TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Isn't the point of having time slots for entry to avoid such a long line for the graveyard? I'm glad I wasn't there that night. We went on the Sunday if Columbus Day weekend and the graveyard line took 15 min, boulder and Wildcat were each 30, but BD was down for at least the last hour the park was open.

Isn't the point of having time slots for entry to avoid such a long line for the graveyard? I'm glad I wasn't there that night. We went on the Sunday if Columbus Day weekend and the graveyard line took 15 min, boulder and Wildcat were each 30, but BD was down for at least the last hour the park was open.

It is, but I really don't think they follow through with the times. As long as you have a ticket, I'm pretty sure you can enter whenever you'd like.

I visited the Haunted Graveyard twice this fall with 2 different groups of people. I had a really good time, and I'm glad it seems that this year was successful.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

image.jpg.1de89ae0c5725927a8e6503b2701653c.jpg

Lake Compounce is excited to announce a star studded addition to the park! Introducing Pink's Hot Dogs a Hollywood Legend Since 1939! Voted #1 Hot Dog Stand by Fox News! Pink's will be opening their first restaurant on the East Coast at our park on May 17th! We can't wait to try the Lord of the Ring's Dog, how about you?! http://www.pinkshollywood.com

image.jpg.9e108aafa14ccc9801c0748d93e6478f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone going out to Lake Compounce for opening day tomorrow? It will be the first time I go there on opening day, anyone who has in the past so they normally have both trains for Boulderdash ready on opening day? I went when they were running one train last year and the line was awful, but it was still worth it!

Good to hear about Pink's...and the campground. I would love to return back to this park one day in hopes of getting a night ride on Balder Dash.

Can't say I remember anything about their food so it must have not have been all that good. I do however, remember the free soda that the thousands of yellow jackets just LOVED!

• 2 weeks later...

I spent yesterday afternoon at Lake Compounce with a few friends; planned a big photo report but I couldn't get my friends to slow down enough for me to take much in the way of photos, so I'll keep it to a few quick updates.

Given how beautiful yesterday turned out to be here, crowds were almost non-existant. There a bit before the gates opened, we were the fifth car in the parking lot. By 3:00 or so, it looked like about 15% of the lot was being used. Almost everything was a walk-on; Boulder Dash was a few rides waiting for front or back seat at peak time. The only real lines were for the flume, since they only appeared to be running four boats, and for Pink's.

Everything was up running. Wildcat has been completely transformed with the new trackwork; anyone that remembers it as a painful little deathtrap is going to be very pleasantly surprised. With the new tracking, it's a great little coaster; quick, just wild enough, and not a single moment of pain. Boulder Dash seemed to be a bit sluggish to me, but we did ride it early in the day, and it's still the beginning of the season. It seems to be getting a bit rougher as well, especially on the backstretch, but not painfully so far; I just hope it's not the beginning of any real troubles. Flat rides were all running and running as always (amazingly fast for the Wave Swinger, sluggish for Wipeout, downright sad for the American Flyers...pretty much acceptable for everything else), the flume was...mostly cold. Maybe going on it so early in the season wasn't the best plan.

Operations were mostly good, considering that they were clearly training a lot of new staff. A few little hiccups and delays here or there, but nothing I wouldn't expect or could blame a park for at the beginning of the season.

Now, I'm sure it's Pink's everyone wants to hear about. Two of the friends that came with me are California transplants and had been talking the place up to me since the first mention of it coming to LC, so I was going in with cautiously high hopes. And...I wasn't disappointed. I'm not sure if I can say it was definitely the best hot dog I've ever had, but it was certainly close. I had a Hollywood Boulevard dog with cheese, mustard, jalapenos, and bacon, and it looked so good that I completely forgot to get a picture before I tore into it. REALLY good park food though. The line for the place did move slowly since the staff was still learning to make all of the food, but it was made well when it did come up, and I'm sure it's going to get much quicker...and it will need to, since it's going to be much busier soon.

So, we managed to hit everything in the park except the Thunder Creek raft ride, the important stuff multiple times, try Pink's, and be out of the park by 4:30. Not bad!

BDQueue.thumb.jpg.fb8e81495e51aaa6bd7e453f49f5e5ad.jpg

Boulder Dash queue 45 minutes after opening. Probably a good day to come to the park.

LCPirate.thumb.jpg.70e9a47bb900d928c571dd3df6fffb6a.jpg

This really is a nice looking setup. It's too bad the ride itself isn't a bit more impressive, but it is a family park.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard a rumor that they are looking for new trains for boulder dash. They were looking more toward RMC trains. I am pretty pumped i just hope they don't use the gravity groups train as I'm not a big fan.

I hope they don't do that. I had no problems with the PTC trains, though I know a few people complain of comfort issues with the seat divider. I appreciate that the bars don't seem to auto-staple, as that varies a lot with PTCs. I don't want RMC trains on traditional wooden coasters due to the extremely tight design/use of the lap bars, and I'm sure it wouldn't be cost-effective for them to design something different, apart from maybe omitting the leg bars.

I'm assuming you're not confused with the rumored upcoming train replacement on Wildcat, right?

I heard a rumor that they are looking for new trains for boulder dash. They were looking more toward RMC trains. I am pretty pumped i just hope they don't use the gravity groups train as I'm not a big fan.

Someone brought this up to the Jerry, LC's GM, recently. I wish I could remember his exact response right now but it was basically a carefully worded "we're not replacing the current trains right at this time" kind of answer, so they idea that they might be exploring it for the future seems pretty plausible. I know the PTCs do really tear the track up. The park had looked into adding magnetic brakes at the turnaround to bleed off some speed before the back stretch a while back, but (fortunately) decided against that; I do like the way the PTCs ride on BD, but if it comes down to adding trims, or replacing the trains, to keep the coaster running in top form, I'd certainly much rather see the latter.

I agree... New trains over trims any day!

I do wonder what RMC would be able to do with a train that they know will not navigate such intense movements... When you see what they are building, their trains fit the strange motions the track takes... If there building for what is more of a traditional style track, I wonder if they would go with a more open,less restrictive train...

Next year wildcat will get new trains most likely. I have asked them on instagram a while back and they said that they had until 2015 to get them

image.jpg.24540a1d50a17c1d3d9350dc621cdf9f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning a possible combo trip of here and Six Flags NE on July 4th weekend. I know I can probably expect major crowds at SF (mainly going there for Bizarro) but I was wondering how crowded this park gets, and also if it's worth a full day. It seems surprisingly small given how old it is (super psyched for BD though).

I am planning a possible combo trip of here and Six Flags NE on July 4th weekend. I know I can probably expect major crowds at SF (mainly going there for Bizarro) but I was wondering how crowded this park gets, and also if it's worth a full day. It seems surprisingly small given how old it is (super psyched for BD though).

I find it worth a full day but it can get crowded especially on july 4th

It depends on the crowds, but if it's your first time there, it's likely worth a full day. It really depends on if you just want to do the major attractions or if you're going to want to ride all the flat rides, try some of the food (Pink's...don't miss Pink's!), etc. You could get in a few rides on the coasters and the other unique rides and be out in a few hours, but there'll be enough to do to keep you busy all day if you want, especially if you spend any time in the water park.

If anyone is thinking about going this weekend, Boulder Dash has been closed for the past few days and they haven't been working on it. Seems like their waiting for a part.

My friend and I were supposed to go to sfne but instead we detoured to LC. Bad mistake.

Closed Rides:

Boulder Dash:confused:

Saw Mill Plunge

Croc-O-Nile (water slide as well)

Anchor Bay

Beach

2 kiddie rides

So it was a terrible let down to drive and hour and 20 from RI just to find out that the one outstanding ride was closed. The whole reason we came.

I gotta say, we had a fun time though. Crowds were light, temperature was perfect and it wasn't all that bad.

Ride Count:

Wildcat: 8x

Zoomerang: 3x (wooh new credit!!!)

T&L: 3x

Enterprise: 5x

Ghost Hunt: 1x

Revolution: 1x

Thunder Rapids: 2x

Wipeout: 1x

Downtime: 3x

Riptide Racers: 2x

Lightsout: 1x <3

Mammoth Falls: 1x

Tunnel Twister (orange): 1x

We went right to zoomerang so I could finally get that damn credit! It was the only credit I needed from this park and it broke down the three times I previously attempted it! Pretty smooth for a boomerang. Kinda the same as flashback. I like them both the same. Boomerangs are fine in my book.

Revolution: Total let down. A lot of people say it is really uncomftorable but I just found it boring. It is a nice "flashy" attraction for LC but the rotor is a definite loss. Since this was my first time on a mega disco, I give it a C.

Down Time was definitely under-appreciated in my book. I forgot how good it was. Plus the view is nice.

Riptide Racer's: Another new one for me. Honestly, it didn't look very good but it was actually the best surprise of the day! It's a great ride that tosses you around, the drop isn't as big as funtown's but it's still good. It would be a great fit for Canobie! I give it an A-

Mammoth was not worth the wait, plus I really don't understand why they love to put rocks on the side of the walk way. Going up to it, the rocks were all over the place, it was painful walking to it. Plus it was the one long line of the day.

Lightsout is still the best hands down! So fast and the ending of the slide is insane! Plus it's a lot smoother than those stupid tunnel twisters.

I like the new addition but it's a little strange to me. Everything is so far apart. The tables to johnny rockets were like 500 feet away! lol The new sand area if full of rocks! Not very nice at all but I like how they are spreading out. Another major slide tower is what that park needs. The only real expansion was the restrooms and wave pool, which is good but more slides!

Wildcat's new track improved the ride so much! We actually marathon-ed the ride! In the morning we skipped it because they were running one train and it's line was backed up to the bridge. But they finally put two trains on and it killed the line. The sections where it got some love are great. But the middle section with hills is BRUTAL. The last turn and hills are fun but they don't do anything, the ride dies out after it does up that hill. I didn't even realize that this coaster has buzz bars!!! I love them! But with new trains coming next year, I am excited. I give it a B

Enterprise and T&L are the real thrill flats. The two best of the park. But they run such short programs. LC isn't that busy that they have to cut these rides short. T&L only has 3 full swings! That's so stupid. Both these rides kick ass but they need to be on a longer program.

Hopefully next years addition will be up there with T&L and enterprise because it gets boring here after an hour or two, especially when BD is down and even the flume!

I never realized how small the dry park area is. There's really not a lot to it. It's a nice park but I still take the other two big ones of NE over it (sfne and canobie). They need to expand!

I'm totally going back for the ACE event with BD night runs! The park was fun and I am actually looking forward to my next trip so i can get on the dash.

Edited by ScreaminNewEngland