TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

The backwards trains that were introduced at SFGrAm last year were brand new chassis that are made to go backwards. As far as I knew, it was only the chassis parts that were new, the seats were removed from the forward facing chassis and placed on the backwards chassis. I also heard that the park ran into a little snafu because when the "limited time" backwards trains ended, they just flipped them around, which B&M didn't really care for and forced them to put the normal forward facing trains back on.

Coaster trains are not really meant to go backwards unless they were originally designed to do so. That's why Cedar Fair turned the racing Paramount coasters back to all facing forward when they took over as PTC even said themselves that their trains are only meant to travel in a recommended forward direction. B&M is probably more stringent on that sort of thing because of the "warranties" their coasters come with, although not exactly sure how Premier stands when SF turned the Mr. Freeze coasters around backwards. Probably not as much since their trains travel in both directions anyways on those shuttle coasters.

Unless they've ordered another set of backwards chassis from B&M, Magic Mountain will be running Batman backwards this year. I don't see SFOT doing this until next year if their next in line to get the chassis.

Wait, wasn't Premier involved in the reversal of Mr. Freeze?

I have been informed that the reason SFOT has not advertised backwards Batman was to avoid media attention because of the negative attention they have received since the fatal accident. They don't wanna be in the news right now. Which if true, would make sense.

Again, this is just speculation, and our group NEVER confirmed it as accurate info. Only time will tell.

Again like I said before, if SFOT was going to run Batman backwards, I feel they would of announced it already. Even if it was for the last few months of the season. I just don't see it happening for 2014 but I could be wrong. I say 2015 but I don't want Batman backwards to be the new attraction.

Dear SFOT personnel reading this page, PLEAAASSE don't make backwards Batman the new attraction for 2015. It was kinda neat that season when Judge Roy was backwards. It would be a nice little bone to throw to us coaster lovers without little kids to turn Batman backwards THIS year, but for the love of Pete, please don't make it the new attraction for 2015.

I guess there could be worst things. We could be getting a 20+ yr old recycled coaster nobody rode from another park, so they could make room for a cool new ride. Eh hem, Flashback going to SFSL.

As for Mr. Freeze, I was very pleased they turned it backwards. We rode it facing forwards back in 2001. My husband and I walked off swearing never to ride it again. We had the worst headache, neck and back ache. It was a fun ride, but it caused major pain for both of us. We were ruined for the rest of the day. Advil didn't touch it. Fast forward to last Spring. I had a friend tell me that it did that to her, too when it faced forward. She said that when they revamped the restraints and turned it backwards that it didn't bother her anymore. So, I gave it a shot. I am hooked on Mr. Freeze!! It was just what the dr. ordered.

In 3 weeks the "Namtab" mystery will be solved.

I have been informed that the reason SFOT has not advertised backwards Batman was to avoid media attention because of the negative attention they have received since the fatal accident. They don't wanna be in the news right now. Which if true, would make sense.

Again, this is just speculation, and our group NEVER confirmed it as accurate info. Only time will tell.

If that were the case, then why wouldn't they just quietly stick it on their website? I don't see how turning a train backwards on a coaster with very little attention would make the news. But, that's just me.

Looks like the water park will get another kick ass slide in 2014.

It looks to be a 6 lane version of the one who opened at Wet'n'Wild Sydney a while ago.

It will be from Whitewater, and the one in Sydney have been gotten som cool reviews.

1559519_10152618184379517_374080680_o.jpg

Source

Ready, Set, Race!

Have you ever wanted to try a one-of-a-kind racing experience? Wahoo Racer is the perfect fit for you! The thrilling multi-lane water slide complex is the largest of its kind in the world. Wahoo Racer is a two-tiered slide mat racer that first sends you on an intense, winding stretch through colorful tubes before shooting you out into six racing track-styled lanes.

As you take the nearly 60-foot journey up to the launching station, you’ll be able to strategically plan your tactics on how to pull off a winning race. Before you know it, it's your turn to get into your starting position. Feel free to scope out your competition but don't stray away from paying attention to the countdown. Three..two..one..RACE! Each course is timed, allowing you to challenge family and friends to reach the checkered flag for the win.

Hold on tight because Wahoo Racer will send you soaring down head first at extreme speeds of up to 40 feet per second on aero-dynamically designed water toboggans into the final stretch. Stay focused on the finish line because you never know which of the other five riders could pass you in the race to the end. After you've made it to the splashy ending, congratulate your fellow racers and take a winning photo. You've earned it!

Edited by jedimaster1227

I've never been to Hurricane Harbor and now I think I have motive to go. Looks like an AWESOME addition. I love the 'twisty and spiral' combo and it should pack some airtime before you go down the drop to the splashdown. Very excited to see a recent string of announcements coming out of Six Flags parks. Hopefully there's more to come.

SMDH. Another instance in this spoiled America where the ones responsible dont seem to want to take responsibility for thier own actions. IMO I think this falls all on Six Flags. I don't believe Gerstlauer needs to be blamed at all. I see it like this, you buy a car, you maintain it. If you wreck it due to your negligent maintenance its your fault, not the automaker. Complacency is devestating.

Without doing anything libellous(!) I don't see this going too well. Obviously all we know is hearsay and the truth will presumably come out in court but I was under the impression that the restraint got a green light on dispatch and returned to the station in the same place, the issue being the bar wasn't touching the riders thighs per the manufacturers guidelines?

^ That is my understanding of the case. I have heard that the trains no longer use those green lights. Perhaps Six Flags is trying to argue that the green light indicator was not sufficient and misled the employees into thinking the rider was properly restrained? If Gerstlauer requested the green lights be disabled, perhaps Six Flags thinks they have some leverage there. It's a hail mary for sure, and I don't personally find the argument convincing, but there might be some room to maneuver there, legally speaking.

Without doing anything libellous(!) I don't see this going too well. Obviously all we know is hearsay and the truth will presumably come out in court but I was under the impression that the restraint got a green light on dispatch and returned to the station in the same place, the issue being the bar wasn't touching the riders thighs per the manufacturers guidelines?

The manufacturer's guidelines may very well have indicated that the green light was there to indicate containment of the passenger of the vehicle. That would make a great deal of sense, because trusting minimum wage teenagers with people's lives under the pretense of being "well trained professionals" is, on its face, comical. Hell, they make a joke about that at Universal, and it's funny because its true. Since Six Flags has essentially said exactly that since day one, it seemed inevitable that Gerstlauer would be dragged into the suit.

This is nothing more than a standard legal maneuver, even Gerstaluer admits to that, who will also be counter suing the park along the same lines. In other words, the courts will end up showing their dislike for the Six Flags filing.

However, what is interesting about the filing is that Six Flags claims that the cars on the ride are defective and dangerous. If that is the case, then why are they still operating not one, but two different rides with those trains?

Pretty sure someone didn't think that one through.

The green light was simply one of the safety checks that seemed like a good idea at the time, but it in no way replaces the way an attendant should be checking a restraint. It was a way to indicate to the attendant what the panel is showing (more or less) B&M's have them, though it's not visible unless you know where to look, as do the new RMC trains.

The big difference on say Outlaw Run is, that even if the seat was cleared to go by the ride, an attendant has the final say and more than once kicked a person off because the bar didn't meet the position requirements on the riders body. More often than not, if the panel was clear, NTAG got dispatched even if the bar might not have been where it needed to be.

So while the lights have been removed on the Gerstlauer trains, the computer still reads the same as it did with them in place. I'm pretty confident the light situation won't have any major bearing on the outcome of the case due to the fact even without them, the computer would have registered the seat as clear anyway.

Edited by chadster

These events are nothing new- just more public than normal. I can guarantee you that Disney, Universal, Cedar fair and others have followed this exact model. When there is an accident is not uncommon for a vendor and a buyer to sue each other to find blame and share the payout. Neither company will pay a penny. Their insurance companies will take a hit and premiums will go up. In the end the ride will be safer, both companies will be more careful, the family of Rosa will receive financial compensation and least try to recover from devastating event. I know she will be warmly remembered. The family's loss will not be in vain.

I hope this is the correct thread. Glad TPR got a chance to try State Fair of Texas Summer Adventures while it was open.

There will be no Summer Adventures in Fair Park this summer — or any other

By Robert Wilonsky rwilonsky@dallasnews.com

1:27 pm on February 18, 2014 | Permalink

Shortly before Summer Adventures at Fair Park opened its gates, State Fair of Texas President Errol McKoy told the Dallas City Council that it would serve as “a good alternative to Six Flags for all our citizens.” But, in the end, it wasn’t: There won’t be a Summer Adventures at Fair Park this summer or any other.

“There are a lot of choices out there for summer entertainment — a lot — and those are tough to break,” says Sue Gooding, spokesperson for the State Fair of Texas.

State Fair officials say the Waveloch Flowrider may stick around for the fair. (Rex C. Curry/Special contributor)

The State Fair isn’t releasing attendance numbers, says Gooding, “other than ‘less than we’d hoped for.’ ”

That was clear to anyone who went out to ride the 500-foot-tall Top o’ Texas Tower when it was 104 degrees. Despite a handful of expensive new offerings, and the chance to ride most of the Midway without having to wait in line, ghost towns are still busier in August.

“We used social media, we did advertising, we even cut our rates in half hoping there at the end we could introduce it to a lot of people,” says Gooding. “But this just wasn’t a viable opportunity this summer to make that work. We were passionate about it. State Fair employees put their heart and their souls into this.”

Gooding spent Tuesday morning calling season pass-holders and telling them to expect refunds.

The State Fair spent $30 million on Summer Adventures, a fraction of which went toward electrical needs in a Midway that’s dark most of the year. And it’s not clear, for instance, whether the WaveRider will stick around come fall. But, if nothing else, the Top o’ Texas Tower is a welcome addition; it was packed during the State Fair, more so than during Summer Adventures.

In the end, says Gooding, it just wasn’t wet or wild enough for folks.

“There are a lot of water features all over the area,” Gooding says. “Cities are into their water parks. There’s a lot of stuff out there. And there are a lot of camps. We had hoped desperately it would work. We are behind Fair Park, more people are moving into the downtown area, and we were hoping access by light rail would make a difference.

“But when we looked at the numbers, they just didn’t add up.”

For those armchair quarterbacking, I'll argue two different things...

SMDH. Another instance in this spoiled America where the ones responsible dont seem to want to take responsibility for thier own actions. IMO I think this falls all on Six Flags. I don't believe Gerstlauer needs to be blamed at all. I see it like this, you buy a car, you maintain it. If you wreck it due to your negligent maintenance its your fault, not the automaker. Complacency is devestating.

1) In "this spoiled America", Six Flags and Gerstlauer are going to have to find a way to legally resolve this issue by getting to the bottom of it. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but someone fell out of a roller coaster and died, I'd like to figure out what exactly was to blame. Finding the blame will allow them to fix the issue for the future, and a court case is a tool in that.

2) The other problem here is you're claiming that Six Flags in some way "wrecked" the car, which you have no way to know. If you buy a car, and you get in it and it blows up with you having done nothing wrong to it, you (or more realistically, your family) can absolutely sue the automaker.

At the heart of this is that you have a ride that was supposed to be completely safe. If Six Flags operated it in the exact way that they were told to operate it, and in the same way Gerstlauer told them too, and the accident happened then it is Gerstlauer's fault. If Six Flags overcame security measures that Gerstlauer had implemented to run it in a way not in the manufacturer's handbook, then Gerstlauer should absolutely sue Six Flags. Both companies are going to lose multi-multi-million of dollars due to the accident.

I do agree that the chain running other rides with the same trains after the accident will hurt their case, but that's for Gerstlauer to argue in their argument. In the end, whether you like Six Flags or Gerstlauer more, or you just feel that the suing system is broken in the US, it forces people to get to a better place.

Not a lawyer, not offering my opinion on who should win, but the lawsuit makes sense and so will Gerstlauer's one.

At the heart of this is that you have a ride that was supposed to be completely safe. If Six Flags operated it in the exact way that they were told to operate it, and in the same way Gerstlauer told them too, and the accident happened then it is Gerstlauer's fault. If Six Flags overcame security measures that Gerstlauer had implemented to run it in a way not in the manufacturer's handbook, then Gerstlauer should absolutely sue Six Flags. Both companies are going to lose multi-multi-million of dollars due to the accident.

Nothing is "completely safe", even roller coasters. But we can say roller coasters are the safest thing to do, safer than sleeping, walking, eating, watching movies,etc.

I think the main reason why SF sues Gerstlauer is that SF is trying to distract the GP. When a park had an accident, GP blame the park mostly so SF wants the GP to know there might be a problem with the manufacturer. If GP are dumb enough to believe in FD3, then they are dumb enough to believe Gerstlauer make dangerous products even if Gerstlauer won the law case. Just my guessing, getting money from a Gerstlauer is sure to be another reason.

These events are nothing new- just more public than normal. I can guarantee you that Disney, Universal, Cedar fair and others have followed this exact model. When there is an accident is not uncommon for a vendor and a buyer to sue each other to find blame and share the payout. Neither company will pay a penny. Their insurance companies will take a hit and premiums will go up. In the end the ride will be safer, both companies will be more careful, the family of Rosa will receive financial compensation and least try to recover from devastating event. I know she will be warmly remembered. The family's loss will not be in vain.

Well said! and agreed.

It will end up being settled, so this is all just standard legal wrangling. It's just like dealing with your car insurance company after an accident. Even if you are the primary cause of the accident, you might still argue the other party shares some of the blame since they too did something wrong. They're basically suing each other to try and spread out the liability, since ultimately both companies insurance will be settling with the family.

However, what is interesting about the filing is that Six Flags claims that the cars on the ride are defective and dangerous. If that is the case, then why are they still operating not one, but two different rides with those trains?

Because the trains were altered.