TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^Yeaaah, once again, the park is looking great! The YOLO station is minimal and kinda lame but I have to say it does kinda fit the whole 'clubby' vibe they are trying to pull off in the area. Scaffolding is IN lol. I know it's fun to bag on SFMM; I even did it for a while. In fact, I stopped going for quite a while because I simply did not enjoy it anymore. However, this last visit was really quite pleasant.

I do take into account that ops are almost always better in the winter, hence the timing of my visit.

I also took somebody to the park who has never been and he thought it looked great too. I mean, really think about it...it's come a long way. Apocolypse, GL, B:TR, LL:DOD, and S:EK all have fairly well themed queues! Not even KBF can list that many nice queues for coasters or high thrill rides! Look, I'm all for bashing on a park when it's well deserved but I think they are truly taking an honest effort to focus their priorities!

FWIW, we were surveyed while waiting for security, they asked 2 questions:

1) What are you here to ride...thrill rides or family rides?

2) Do you plan on riding any non-thrill rides?

I also got a survey in the email after my visit. I dunno, like I said, baby steps.

Given the flaws. I always have a great time when I go!!!

I've been there twice, once in the summer of 2002 and once last winter and I had a great time both times, but we're also rushing around to cram everything into one day (on our last visit we had the Platinum Flash Pass and paid to add on X2 and Lex Luthor) so we didn't have any time to slow down and notice the flaws. I could see hating this place if it was my home park but I actually really enjoy the park and it's coasters (though many of them are overrated).

I loved Tatsu and was a big fan of Scream!, Batman (even though we can ride it at Great Adventure), Ninja, Apocalypse and believe it or not Viper. The only non-coaster rides we rode were the Sky Tower, the flume and Lex Luthor.

The rest of the coasters were pretty good, the only ones I really hated were Green Lantern and X2. Like I said though, if I had a chance to really slow down and notice the small details and potential flaws I probably wouldn't think so highly of the park... but I didn't, we were just running around to ride all of the coasters.

I wonder if they were giving directions to other parks for people looking for family rides

I wonder if they were giving directions to other parks for people looking for family rides

*slow clap*

This is going back to that Iron Colossus video. I dont know how far fetched this is BUT what if they were to make it all a continuous coaster (like in the video posted) and the first half (up to the second lift hill) was either steel or wood and the second half of the ride was the other? I think that would make for a very unique coaster experience. Maybe they could call it Hybrid Colossus?

This is going back to that Iron Colossus video. I dont know how far fetched this is BUT what if they were to make it all a continuous coaster (like in the video posted) and the first half (up to the second lift hill) was either steel or wood and the second half of the ride was the other? I think that would make for a very unique coaster experience. Maybe they could call it Hybrid Colossus?

Or we can just call it wishful thinking.

Flash pass question. Let's say you pre-buy the gold flash pass online with 2 people. Can you pay and add in another when you pick the unit up at the park?

I don't see why not, unless the remaining Flash Pass units are "sold out" for the day when you get there. But then again, I've never used Flash Pass, so I'm probably not the person to ask! Maybe you can call the park to find out? And/or possibly see if you can cancel your current order and then repurchase it with the correct number of people.

Six Flags Magic Mountain Announces Newest Roller Coaster

Speedy Gonzales Hot Rod Racers will become 19th roller coaster

VALENCIA, Calif. — February 11, 2014 — Six Flags Magic Mountain, the “Thrill Capital of the World,” today announced its newest pint-sized roller coaster. Speedy Gonzales Hot Rod Racers will anchor the revitalized Bugs Bunny World, becoming the fourth roller coaster in the children’s area, more than any other U.S. theme park.

Sitting in miniature hot rod race cars, riders will enjoy an action-packed adventure with plenty of drops and thrills on a roadster-themed racetrack. Kids and parents can ride together as they take a sprint around the grand prix track. Joining 11 other rides and attractions, from flying airplanes to pint-sized trucks and trains, Speedy Gonzales Hot Rod Racers will debut in early summer.

“We are excited to introduce Speedy Gonzales Hot Rod Racers to our coaster collection at Six Flags Magic Mountain,” said Bonnie Rabjohn, Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor park president. “This time it’s a fun adventure for our littlest guests. The mini-coasters in Bugs Bunny World are the perfect training ground for aspiring thrill seekers at the ‘Thrill Capital of the World.’ No doubt we will be creating lots of magical memories for them this year.”

With the addition of Speedy Gonzales Hot Rod Racers, the Valencia theme park will boast 19 roller coasters, more than any other theme park on the planet, including the new Full Throttle, which debuted in June 2013 as the world’s tallest and fastest looping coaster; X2, the world’s first 5th dimensional coaster; Tatsu, the world’s tallest and fastest flying coaster; Goliath, the giant among giants; Viper and more.

Six Flags Magic Mountain 2014 Season Passes are on sale and provide unlimited visits (including Fright Fest®) for 2014. Season Passes are now more affordable with low monthly payments through the annual membership program. Additional season pass perks include free tickets for friends and more.

Six Flags Magic Mountain is located at 26101 Magic Mountain Parkway, in Valencia, north of Los Angeles off Interstate 5 at the Magic Mountain Parkway exit. The park is currently open weekends and school holidays. For complete operating days and hours, and for more information call (661) 255-4111 or visit us online at www.sixflags.com/magicmountain.

SFMM-Hot-Rod-Racers-KA.thumb.PNG.89451c8429a6978dc883bc972d8ddc62.PNG

So here's a question...

The RMC Rumor that's been floating around for Colossus is coming up soon, but if they take out Colossus to 'redo' it, then it's still SFMM's 19th Coaster yet again. Do we think it's possible they may get a stand alone NEW credit for the big Colossus Treatment, or perhaps leave one side alone so they can make a big deal out of the parks 20th Coaster? Or maybe yet another kiddie coaster too!??!

What the heck, at this point I say they should go for broke and be the first park with 10 kiddie/junior credits!! I'm sure there's plenty from the catalog they haven't used yet - vekoma junior suspended, kiddie woodie, kiddie boomerang (I think there's one of those in Europe, correct?), a newer B&M.......

So Speedy Gonzales is now considered offensive to hispanics and the L.A. area has the highest concentration of Spanish speaking people in the United States.

So Magic Mountain is putting in a new Speedy Gonzales roller coaster.

Did I get that right?

I hate political correctness but find this surprising and kind of feel like they're inviting controversy.

I'm actually surprised SFMM hasn't tried something like the newer models of Vekoma Jr Suspendeds. I love that they're really focused on appealing to the whole family in terms of their coaster catalogue, and I feel like an extended version of one of these could be a great addition to appeal to families. Anyway, cool to see them focusing on the whole family!

So Speedy Gonzales is now considered offensive to hispanics and the L.A. area has the highest concentration of Spanish speaking people in the United States.

So Magic Mountain is putting in a new Speedy Gonzales roller coaster.

Did I get that right?

I hate political correctness but find this surprising and kind of feel like they're inviting controversy.

I doubt anyone will care....at all. I know plenty of Hispanic people who don't care about a Speedy and no one I know here is offended by him...

Any word on if this is one of the existing Vekoma Junior Coaster models or a custom one?

Pretty sure this will be a Zamperla.

One of these:

Ah that'd make sense too. Someone previously had mentioned that though so I assumed it was going to be a Vekoma.

Speedy Gonzales? That was already old when I was young, let alone now! I don't know if I even knew he was a mouse. Why didn't they call it Mr. Six's DanceCoaster?

At least we know there is the possibility of adults riding, but I guess time will tell if you actually need a kid, or if the press release (shockingly) just wasn't tailored to credit whores...