TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm planning on going to MM on Tuesday, April 8th. How are lines usually during this time of year? I'm used to CP as I go there the most. I want to get on Tatsu, X2, and Superman the most. I'd like to get on as many as I can, but these 3 are my top priority. I'd be willing to get a flash pass if it'd be worth it. I've heard horror stories of this park so I know I shouldn't get my expectations up to high. Any other rides that are must rides?

^ I'd say Full Throttle and Lex Luthor are also must rides. If you wanna hit those three, start off on X2. SFMM should have it open by April, and then make your way up to Tatsu. Once off Tatsu, go up and there will be a Dippin' Dots stand. The stairs next to it lead directly to Samurai Summit and if you make a right, all the way down at the end, you should see Superman. Full Throttle usually calms down around the afternoon ( 3 - 4 in the evening ). If you're by yourself use single rider lines as they are available on Lex Luthor, Green Lantern, Viper, and Riddlers Revenge ( all located through the exit if I am correct ), Hope this helps!

Fun fact: that was an actual gas station in the parks early years.

That is interesting to know. I was surprised they hadn't torn it down to use for the YOLO station.

Somewhere a SFMM top brass is reading this, slapping his forehead and saying, "Why didn't we think of this?!?!?"

As for your ride on Yolo, you should have opted for the back. Back couple rows = More airtime. I wasn't as impressed with the front rows after doing the back rows.

Oh and my experience on GL wasn't bad...until the last filp. My "man parts" hurt just thinking about it...

Fun fact: that was an actual gas station in the parks early years.

That is interesting to know. I was surprised they hadn't torn it down to use for the YOLO station.

Somewhere a SFMM top brass is reading this, slapping his forehead and saying, "Why didn't we think of this?!?!?"

As for your ride on Yolo, you should have opted for the back. Back couple rows = More airtime. I wasn't as impressed with the front rows after doing the back rows.

Oh and my experience on GL wasn't bad...until the last filp. My "man parts" hurt just thinking about it...

Ah, that's great to know. I'll make sure to try the back row next time. Maybe that's why I wasn't overly impressed with the coaster. It certainly wasn't bad, is just wasn't something that made me say 'Wow! I wish we had this closer.'

^ I'd say YOLOcoaster and Lex Luthor are also must rides. If you wanna hit those three, start off on X2. SFMM should have it open by April, and then make your way up to Tatsu. Once off Tatsu, go up and there will be a Dippin' Dots stand. The stairs next to it lead directly to Samurai Summit and if you make a right, all the way down at the end, you should see Superman. YOLOcoaster usually calms down around the afternoon ( 3 - 4 in the evening ). If you're by yourself use single rider lines as they are available on Lex Luthor, Green Lantern, Viper, and Riddlers Revenge ( all located through the exit if I am correct ), Hope this helps!

X2 and YOLOCoaster's lines both calm down by about 4:30 so you could do either one first and the other in the afternoon. In my experience X2's line has historically had the biggest drop in length in the afternoon, it can go from a 90 min wait to a 10 min wait. Single Rider lines are fantastic, even if you're there with one other person and you don't mind not riding together. Revolution also has one, but you probably won't need it. They work the best on Lex, Riddlers, and Green Lantern. Really wish they had one on X2 or YOLOCoaster, I hate seeing trains dispatch with empty seats that could be filled.

Regarding Flash Pass, if you plan to ride Tatsu multiple times then a flash pass will be worth your money. Tatsu I think is the best advantage for flash pass, where you join the que is at the bottom of the stairs just before the station so if you aren't waiting for first or last row you shouldn't wait more than 15 minutes each lap on all but the busiest days, so you can save a ton of time.

X2 and YOLOCoaster are the only coasters not normally covered by flash pass, you have to purchase a reservation for $10 or $15 each ride to skip those lines. While X2 has been down they have been letting Gold FPs purchase YOLO rides, but I believe once X2 opens back up, X2 will require gold and YC will require platinum. If you don't want to purchase YC rides with FP, there's really no other reason to get a platinum pass, theres no real difference in wait reduction, otherwise it only gives you double-rides on a few coasters.

Edited by singemfrc

If you don't want to purchase YC rides with FP, there's really no other reason to get a platinum pass, theres no real difference in wait reduction, otherwise it only gives you double-rides on a few coasters.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way with my first FP purchase during our last trip. Oh well, I know for next time.

Live and learn. Die and forget it all.

^ I had a similar waste of money earlier this year. When I went to Cedar Point I naively thought I would purchase a fast lane plus pass to skip the 45 minute or so lines, only to find out that all the fast lane lines merge into the normal line so far back that I really didn't end up saving any time at all. I saved maybe 10 minutes on each of my three rides on Dragster, other than that it was a total waste of $100. Most of SFMM's flash pass lines merge pretty far up, the only one I find useless (except on crazy days when the line is out the building) is Superman.

Thanks for the replies. I will be with my little sister who is at about 53". We're hoping she'll grow but if not then I'll have to ride alone. Those single rider lines will be a big help. I wish they had them on Tatsu though. I'll plan on going to X2 and YC after 4. The Gold pass is probably what I'll get. Therefore I can just reserve a time for Tatsu while waiting for Superman or something like that. Are the lines usually long for rides during Spring break? I know they can vary, but what's a general wait for some of the rides?

^Hopefully this helps answer some of your questions.

I wish they had them on Tatsu though.

X2, Tatsu, and Full Throttle are all good candidates for single rider lines.

Are the lines usually long for rides during Spring break?

Yes the lines can be some of the longest during Spring Break.

I know they can vary, but what's a general wait for some of the rides?

This is simply an estimate -

X2, Tatsu, Full Throttle, Superman (one side), Riddlers Revenge and Goliath 1 hour + wait (could get up two hours)

Lex Luthor, Green Lantern, Apocalypse, Batman, and Superman (two sides) 30 - 45 minute wait +

Viper, Revolution, Goldrusher, Colossus, and Scream walk on - 20 minute wait +

Since your going on a Tuesday I don't expect the lines to be too bad although they can vary day by day. Also the general wait times above where based around wait time from April of last year. Some of the wait times above could be shorter or longer. Also note that Colossus and Batman could be running backwards during your visit and could result in longer lines.

Batman 1 hour + and Colossus 30 - 45 minutes (If the rides are running backwards)

Hope all this helps!

Not everyone rips on the park. I love going there.

The park can definitely improve in some areas, but I think people would enjoy the park a lot more if they focused on enjoying why they came to the park, for the coasters and not focus on areas that they have no business trying to compete in with the surrounding parks.

Also, so this isn't taken the wrong way by anyone, I'm not trying to come off brash or anything, these are just my two cents on the topic.

I totally agree with you guys and I am glad I was hanging out with the right people at WCB.

Not everyone rips on the park. I love going there.

The park can definitely improve in some areas, but I think people would enjoy the park a lot more if they focused on enjoying why they came to the park, for the coasters and not focus on areas that they have no business trying to compete in with the surrounding parks.

Also, so this isn't taken the wrong way by anyone, I'm not trying to come off brash or anything, these are just my two cents on the topic.

I totally agree with you guys and I am glad I was hanging out with the right people at WCB.

Hey, we had a blast. Thanks for hanging with us

^If Tidal Wave was ever an upcharge (unlikely), that was long, long ago. I believe it currently has two boats (at least that's how many it's generally been using when I've visited). Sadly, the boats are often stacked on this ride when I've seen similar rides elsewhere use two or occasionally three boats with no stacking.

Hey, we had a blast. Thanks for hanging with us

Sure thing! High five!

Is the super splash near Riddler's only running one boat? I remember hearing it used to be an up charge ride.

Tidal Wave has never been an up charge, at least not since not since my first visit to the park in 1992. The go carts near Tidal Wave have always been an up charge since they were installed in the 90s I believe. Tidal Wave used run three boats when it was busy I believe. I think it runs 2-3 boats now, though I never really pay attention to Tidal Wave because it is such a run of the mill Splashdown ride. I prefer Jet Stream, Roaring Rapids, or the former Log Jammer for water rides as they are more interesting, even if they don't get you as wet. If one just wanted to get wet, they could just stand on the bridge of Tidal Wave.

I don't think the problem is with the amount of trains SFMM can operate, I think they can raise the amount of trains they operate and add more staff to the coaster to increase capacity in a more simple manner. I've seen Goliath well-staffed one day and they pushed out a great amount of people causing the line to be shorter than usual.

Staffing and station procedure. That is the black plague of Six Flags.

Photo Update from today: wow, a lot has changed in a week!

image.thumb.jpg.dc6389c9c78cd2a6bb40fdfc60bb8f17.jpg

A few parts are still there...

This is a lot earlier start than I was expecting! Ninja is back to 2 trains. Also with Batman, they are down to 1 and the other train is not on the transfer. Maybe we are gonna see NAMTAB earlier than anticipated! Also, the alarms at X2's transfer track were going off and only 2 trains were on the storage track! Maybe it will be back open soon!

That's it for today!

(photos from californiacoasterkings.com)

image.thumb.jpg.516b5707f5acd64b50e9c254f42ea23c.jpg

Swashbuckler has also been dismantled! Refurb maybe?

image.thumb.jpg.27ac6165362380495141e939d0b26c20.jpg

Mostly just chains and seats still gone.

image.thumb.jpg.bb471087daf8497141e3fa93d29463e6.jpg

Scrambler is also dismantled and is sitting over by Apocalypse right now. Hopefully a repaint?

image.thumb.jpg.c3e302f71d8eee1a0fb33ce598a7e876.jpg

Marked trees by Buccaneer.... Wonder what this is about?

image.thumb.jpg.bef01ce8833d62101e8e1633149ad5cf.jpg

Scream is back down to 1 train operation, as is Batman... More on that later though.

image.thumb.jpg.9285e12e9d20914ac96bac955e482583.jpg

Some activity in Thrill Shot's old location.

image.thumb.jpg.474a33a6fcc8e94997c94fe2b2cf6579.jpg

...to this spot! It's right next to Road Runner Express near the picnic area.

image.thumb.jpg.7df35eda27e9675afd80da98d7e15063.jpg

Tweety's Escape has been dismantled and is in the process of being moved...

image.thumb.jpg.2de02e17ae105628862c8ea4126dce2b.jpg

The track, train, and control panel for Foghorn Leghorn's Train has been removed.

image.thumb.jpg.148d8a0d724c50a23f31bb2b03e98ecd.jpg

Replacing the train and Tweety's Escape in this area is where the new coaster will be.

image.thumb.jpg.620bb1beac4c1ebbfbebeb7e95def1ad.jpg

Sky Tower closed until March 22nd...gonna be awhile.

Marked trees by Buccaneer.... Wonder what this is about?

SFMM is not hot enough in the summertime and has too much shade.

There's too much free clean oxygen at the park, they are cutting down trees and they will be charging for extra O2.

Edited by Wes