TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

^With Universal Plaza walled off for the striking of Grinchmas, it definitely feels like when DCA was under construction. Very narrow entrances into the Studio Tour & Simpsons right now and Shrek has a temporary queue.

^ Can they fit that in there, any where? USH is so set in it's property limits,

and I would like to Springfield myself somewhere in there,

but doubt they could pull it off as well as they have done in Florida.

Universal/Citywalk still offers $2 parking if you see a movie at the AMC theater as well.

I did not know that!

Seeing an IMAX movie there with the park and Citywalk there and getting $2 parking sounds pretty good to me.

Or just pay the $2 parking and buy a matinee ticket for a movie you don't intend to see, spend the day at the park. Total cost would be around $10, yeah?

Take that, math.

Random question: Is USH's horror house one of the best in US?

I thought it was really good but I only went through with the HHN overlay. I would say it's one of the best year round haunts in a US Theme Park, but really there isn't much competition.

Edited by kidcoaster 2

Judging by where the walls are, I would say that it's almost certain.

What they did in Florida was refurb/re-theme some buildings that were near the Simpsons ride. I'm not sure what's adjacent to the ride in California (haven't been to that park in years)--maybe they could do the same there.

It depends. I went through it in June and it was pretty terrible. There were maybe three actors throughout and it was exceedingly dark. It had a more touch-tunnel vibe than haunted house. The Frankenstein's Laboratory set was awesome, though.

Then I went through again later last year. No HHN overlay or anything, just the regular house. They wisened up. It now has certain hours of operation throughout the day. Rather than having it open the whole time with actors taking breaks, they open it for 1-1.5 hour intervals with every actor inside, then they get (I believe) 45 minutes off where the house is closed. It cycles open and closed all day long. It was AWESOME. Still not the best out there, but WAY better than the first time. There were actors in almost every room and it was brighter so you could actually see the rooms you were in. The hiding spots are all over the place and the actors tend to move from one to the other as each group comes through so you'll never know where they're coming from if you go through multiple times. I really enjoyed it. I just hope they've kept that operational model going.

Liseberg has a haunted house that operates all year round that is as good as anything at HHN. Gronalund is also pretty good. Horror Hospital at Fuji Queue sounds interesting as well.

I haven't been through the horror house during the day for a long time. I'm glad they've upped their game, some pretty good sets, but very dull.

Liseberg has a haunted house that operates all year round that is as good as anything at HHN. Gronalund is also pretty good. Horror Hospital at Fuji Queue sounds interesting as well.

I haven't been through the horror house during the day for a long time. I'm glad they've upped their game, some pretty good sets, but very dull.

I've heard FujiQ's only has the length but the actors are not very active. It's so strange for a country that makes the most terrifying horror movies along with Korea and Thailand not to have as great haunted houses as US and Europe. I guess Sweden has amazing haunted houses.

What they did in Florida was refurb/re-theme some buildings that were near the Simpsons ride. I'm not sure what's adjacent to the ride in California (haven't been to that park in years)--maybe they could do the same there.

There is absolutly enough room because they are basically tearing down everything in front of the Simpsons Ride. If they build Springfield (yeah right, we know they are) I think it'll be more like a "town" where Florida is more linear. We'll see though .

Also, in regards to the property limits, they own a crap load of land, space isn't an issue.

Also, in regards to the property limits, they own a crap load of land, space isn't an issue.

Again, USH is a studio first, theme park second. The expansion of Harry Potter is happening on land that was once used as a non-studio space (the Gibson theatre). They won't move into their open space because they use all of the available room for filming. Yeah, they have the land but they chose to dedicate it to the more lucrative business.

Filming multiple movies from multiple studios (they rent to Disney, Warner, Paramount, Fox, etc) is MUCH more profitable than building a new ride or two.

Again, USH is a studio first, theme park second. The expansion of Harry Potter is happening on land that was once used as a non-studio space (the Gibson theatre). They won't move into their open space because they use all of the available room for filming. Yeah, they have the land but they chose to dedicate it to the more lucrative business.

Filming multiple movies from multiple studios (they rent to Disney, Warner, Paramount, Fox, etc) is MUCH more profitable than building a new ride or two.

No need to get huffy. This is information that the company put out about the land they own and what they will do with it. I know the studio comes first, that's obvious to anyone. That being said, if they want to relocate a sound stage or office building somewhere else on property and use the land for the park, they will. Also, making mixed use areas is a way to use land as well. Universal films in the upper lot of the park on the street facades all the time.

Though I'm not sure why this got brought up anyways, as no one said the park it taking over the studio space... Just that they have lots of land...

It depends. I went through it in June and it was pretty terrible. There were maybe three actors throughout and it was exceedingly dark. It had a more touch-tunnel vibe than haunted house. The Frankenstein's Laboratory set was awesome, though.

Then I went through again later last year. No HHN overlay or anything, just the regular house. They wisened up. It now has certain hours of operation throughout the day. Rather than having it open the whole time with actors taking breaks, they open it for 1-1.5 hour intervals with every actor inside, then they get (I believe) 45 minutes off where the house is closed. It cycles open and closed all day long. It was AWESOME. Still not the best out there, but WAY better than the first time. There were actors in almost every room and it was brighter so you could actually see the rooms you were in. The hiding spots are all over the place and the actors tend to move from one to the other as each group comes through so you'll never know where they're coming from if you go through multiple times. I really enjoyed it. I just hope they've kept that operational model going.

From what I've noticed, House of Horrors operates with that hourly operational model during off-peak seasons. During peak seasons, the attraction stays open all day. So ironically, you may actually get a better experience during the off-season than during the peak seasons (not including HHN, of course)!

Personally, I like House of Horrors just because it allows me to get a small taste of HHN outside of haunt season. But it pales in comparison to what is actually offered at the event. So if you haven't been to HHN, don't use House of Horrors as a prime example of one of their event mazes. The sets are pretty awesome and detailed, and the length is decent, but the talent can be lacking if there aren't very many in the maze (which happens during peak seasons since, as KBrylczyk pointed out, actors go on breaks without being replaced). At the very least, it's a unique experience since not many U.S. parks have year-round haunted mazes!

I read an interesting theory from another site. USF's Springfield has the Kang and Kodos spinner. Even with the buildings near The Simpsons Ride that are being removed (Doc Brown's, Hollywood Cantina), there may or may not be enough space for a spinner if USH is going to get all of the same facilities that USF got with their Springfield. However, USH is getting Super Silly Funland (former Coke Soak area outside what was T2:3D) along with Despicable Me. It has already been confirmed by USH that Super Silly Funland will have a spinner attraction. So with that said, could it be possible that USH gets Springfield, but without Kang and Kodos? What I'm getting at is that the spinner in Super Silly Funland would be filling that void.

I read an interesting theory from another site. USF's Springfield has the Kang and Kodos spinner. Even with the buildings near The Simpsons Ride that are being removed (Doc Brown's, Hollywood Cantina), there may or may not be enough space for a spinner if USH is going to get all of the same facilities that USF got with their Springfield. However, USH is getting Super Silly Funland (former Coke Soak area outside what was T2:3D) along with Despicable Me. It has already been confirmed by USH that Super Silly Funland will have a spinner attraction. So with that said, could it be possible that USH gets Springfield, but without Kang and Kodos? What I'm getting at is that the spinner in Super Silly Funland would be filling that void.

This is what I believe will happen. And new midway games in front on the Simpsons queue.