TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Maryland Jeepers

arson

What’s pack of three credit whores who live in Pennsylvania supposed to do on a lazy Saturday in February? Drive to Maryland for the three Jeepers kiddie credits, of course (and drive-bys of Hersheypark, Williams Grove, and Six Flags America). To describe Jeepers, I would draw comparison to Chuck E Cheese or any mall arcade, but with rides. The locations we visited had a Miller kiddie coaster. Now normally, the three of us could care less about these FECs. But we were desperate. Now, about the credits...

To get to the first Jeepers, we drove to Rockville, MD. This looked like it could have been a former gym, or maybe a car dealership with all the parking spaces for it. For a little more than $9, I bought 10 ride tickets (the coasters at all locations required three tickets). Then, we waited in line for a surprisingly good coaster. Yes, it’s a kiddie credit, and we’re talking about three grown men, but I was personally surprised.

The Python Pit coaster itself at the first two Jeepers locations was a simple lift, turn, drop, helix, bunny hop, and “tunnel” turnaround (a room painted black with blacklight and neon-painted shapes on the walls). It’s more than I expected, at least. After three cycles, the ride was over. After spending less than twenty minutes at Jeepers Rockville, we left, headed for...

Jeepers Greenbelt! This one was actually in a nice mall that seemed to be recently remodeled. Being the dorks we are, we parked on top of a parking structure just for the heck of it. Once we went inside, we noticed this location seemed to be crowded (we had to wait in line for the coaster, and we let kids go in front of us). This ride seemed a lot faster (granted, there was more weight on the train). Once done with our ride, we needed to get out of there.

Next, Six Flags America and Jeepers Parkville...

md01.jpg.ca462438afd5d675db9e9d6612c0e24a.jpg

We found out the hard way that Jeepers has CARTOON monkeys, and not REAL monkeys.

md03.jpg.a5e3221e471f9b34502529c1f57084d8.jpg

We're cool because we ride kiddie credits

md07.jpg.a5d46c4bdadd8518bc81219c26154390.jpg

We're cool because we park next to an Escalade

md08.thumb.jpg.54284a50349e5fbcc8617c8dbc654542.jpg

A Vekoma staircase

md11.jpg.33ec64f482eaa53688c5047252c6a12b.jpg

Greenbelt construction

md16.thumb.jpg.743b3cf30a8cf206bba0a7ed625ae86e.jpg

Jeepers Greenbelt Python Pit

• Like 1

Stupid Maryland with three Jeepers (with Python Pits), I always forget which of the three I haven't been on. Thankfully I have it written down which ones i've been to. Either way i've been meaning to ride that last one for a while now. Maybe i'll do it on my way home from Volcano Mania.

That and the Jeepers in West Nyack, NY and Sports Plus Entertainment Center credits which i've been wanted to do for the last few weekends but have been too busy with collage or just lazy.

Ya know I sort of hate being a credit whore sometimes...lol

• Like 1

So after hitting two Jeepers parks, we planned on driving by Six Flags America, to see what we could see. But since the park owns a lot of “buffer land” around it, we couldn’t go very far or see very much. No Ultra Twister parts on-site that I saw, but like I said, the park was set so far back from local roads, that all I could spot were Superman and a little bit of Mind Eraser on the horizon. We even drove around the park, hoping to get a cool glimpse of Superman, but after 15 minutes of driving, we realized that we had already come as close to the park as we were going to get.

We then proceeded to get lost, but we got ourselves back on the right way to Jeepers Parkville. This was by far the most crowded of the three Jeepers, and the worst. The building looked like it was an old grocery store (I wouldn’t be surprised if it was). We got on the Python Pit for the third time today, but this one was a lot smaller than the other two, and is missing the helix in the center to become a pretty lame oval coaster. Honestly, if I had ridden this one first, I wouldn’t have been so willing to do two more Python Pits. We ended this day trip the way every day trip should end, at the Cocoa Grill in Hershey.

pre03.jpg.bcb23cc2c592c39367143820f94f1845.jpg

SFA in the off-season

pre04.jpg.b9a87134bd884a236c21f31d7251069b.jpg

The closest we came to SFA

md23.jpg.336f58a227c23f6945a965263facfc9a.jpg

For the squirrel lovers

md22.jpg.3bd2e3f65c0da7bc90c03d9cef894e2c.jpg

So my love of coasters has come to this?

md20.jpg.a65a6f27ed3479f2907bf8d8a9ffdacc.jpg

This Python Pit was missing a helix

md18.jpg.29bda7bd7d332c07d649e8f276d0e4f0.jpg

Jeepers again! See, we have this theme going...

• Like 1

Oh, man...that brought back some cool memories! I really miss all those Jeepers! I went to them several times with my kids when I lived in MD. What better place for kids to go during the off season than a Chuck E Cheese with rides and a coaster?

Trust me, it's worth every second of the "off season" to have lived less than a days drive away from 30 parks than it is here living down the street from the park with the most coasters in the world!

--Robb "Not a fan of California!" Alvey

• Like 1

I've been to all three of those Jeepers. I'm pretty sure the Parkville one did used to be a grocery store.

These places are kind of fun with a group of people. Robb and I almost killing ourselves on the bumper cars was a highlight of one visit. Just don't eat the food at any of these places!

dt

• Like 1

When you guys say sports+ do you mean the one here in Ohio? I was totally unaware that there was a credit there. Last time I checked, the closest they have is a mini himilaya and a VR simulator with a space coaster program. Also, whats up with that second Jeeper's construction? Are they making a second coaster? Or is PP just covered because you guys were trying to bury the evidence that you stooped down so low (so says the guy who goes to the Namco park and does the exact same thing)

• Like 1

I remember when Robb almost drove his bumper car off the track, that was great!

I only have the Rockville credit, and haven't gotten that desperate yet this off season to feel a need to ride something indoors, but its nice to know that if the need arises, I can get a quick fix 2 hours away.

• Like 1