Photo TR: Andy's Texas/Midwest TPR Tour

Page 27: The End of the Trip
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Re: Photo TR: Zo's Texas/Midwest TPR Tour

Postby ArizonaGuy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:59 pm

Wow!!! Awesome pics! I can't wait to see more of your photos of the Texas/Midwest Tour.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Day 1 -- Six Flags Fiesta Texas

Postby The Great Zo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks for your comments! Really happy to share this stuff finally -- I know I'm months behind, but if I can get this done before next summer's trip I'll be happy :) .

Day 1 -- Six Flags Fiesta Texas
Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Lesson of the Day: Enjoy the downtime. Although TPR trips are known for their quick pace, our visit at SFFT was a little more relaxed than most. Every tour is sure to have some long and tiring days, and they'll likely be among the most exciting. On the other hand, taking it a little on the easier side can also be good. Take more pictures of the park, and settle down for some conversation.

Artifacts:

02_IMG_0027.jpg
The official park map, and our TPR-exclusive ticket to the park. You can all fight over what they're calling iRat if you want to!

02_IMG_0028.jpg
We are very important people!

02_IMG_0029.jpg
Our schedule for the day, which actually ended up being even better than what was printed on the lanyard.

Scorecard:

Superman: Krypton Coaster (x7)
Poltergeist (x2)
Scooby-Doo Ghostblasters
Pandemonium (x2)
Scooby-Doo Ghostblasters
Kiddee Koaster
Bugs’ White Water Rapids
Boomerang
---
Goliath
Road Runner Express
Gully Washer
SkyScreamer
Scream
Iron Rattler Tour
Whistle Stop / Fiesta Texas Railroad (Full)
---
Whistle Stop / Fiesta Texas Railroad (Full + 1/2)
Road Runner Express
Goliath
Lone Star Nights
SkyScreamer
Superman: Krypton Coaster (x2)
SkyScreamer
Superman: Krypton Coaster (x4)

Day 1

At long last, on my fourth day of the vacation, the official TPR trip was about to begin. Six Flags Fiesta Texas was within viewing distance of our hotel, so it was just a quick five minute drive north to ... miss the turn into the park, and have to loop back around La Cantera to find the back entrance!

Although I've never been a particularly dedicated coaster enthusiast, and haven't ever planned entire lengthy vacations around theme parks before, it was still surprising to me that I'd somehow managed to avoid ever going to a Six Flags park. Based on chain-wide reputations, I had an idea of what to expect -- wildly inconsistent theming, disinterested employees, and advertisements all over the place. Aside from that last point -- face the intensity! -- I couldn't have been more impressed (and pleasantly surprised) with our experience at SFFT.

Let's get the obvious out of the way first. Six Flags Fiesta Texas was dealt an absolutely rotten hand by the incident that occurred four hours north on I-35. Their marquee new attraction was down for the count due to no fault of their own, which was disappointing for everybody involved with the trip. They wanted to show off their shiny new iRat to a group of thrill-hungry TPR members, and were unable to do so. The TPR brass had made the three RMC coasters a big selling point of the trip, and watched powerlessly as three turned to one. However, if any group is going to make the best of a situation, it's this one. Still, we'd need a little help from the park, and SFFT delivered outstandingly, rolling us the red carpet and providing an outstanding day at the park.

After gathering outside and meeting Jeffrey Siebert (SFFT's marketing director), we headed straight to Superman: Krypton Coaster for our first roller coaster ERT session of the trip -- and, along with our time on Master Blaster at Schlitterbahn, my first ERT sessions ever. It's hard to put the feeling to words -- our lead train climbing the lift and circling down the first drop. I guess that's when it struck the trip had really started, with the whole group unified and doing what we do best -- riding coasters and having a blast, just like all the pictures and videos I'd seen from previous TPR tours.

After our ERT on Superman, we got the first rides of the day on Poltergeist, where we first really noticed the inspiring implementation of the visual scan. After launching our way through a couple rides, we followed this up by making our way to Pandemonium for another ERT session. Getting Pandemonium open for us was a huge bonus, and the park recognized that its low capacity made it a priority for all of us to get our rides in. As if that wasn't enough, another of the Fiesta Bay Boardwalk attractions -- the Scooby Doo Ghostblasters shooting dark ride -- was also made available to us before the rest of the park attendees were able to get in. Thereafter, most of us reported directly to the Kiddee Koaster (RIP Schlitterbahn water bottle) for our first shameless "not intended for adults" credits of the trip.

Morning ERT on four different rides really helped soften the pace for the rest of the day, and getting Q-Bots to help manage our wait times was another big piece of help. It was my first experience with the Q-Bot system, and I was really impressed with its simplicity and utility. I felt quite fortunate to end up in an awesome Q-Bot group with Victor, Stacy H, and Tim K -- we made a great team, not only of SFFT, but of all the rest of the Six Flags parks we ended up visiting.

SFFT provided us a good spread for lunch, and followed that up by letting us sign up for 12-person backstage tours of Iron Rattler. Even though the ride wasn't operational, the park wanted to ensure we were able to see it up-close. We squeezed into a white van, and Jeffrey drove us up to the top of the quarry wall. From up there, we were able to get some spectacular photos of the middle section of the ride, with the rest of the park as a backdrop.

A portion of the big group went back to the hotel for some R&R in the mid-to-late afternoon, but I opted to stay in the park. With all of the credits out of the way, it was a good opportunity for photography, giving me a chance to do a "full" photo set from the park. SFFT is a medium-sized park, which was most evident in contrast with some of the parks we visited later in the trip (SFGAm and Cedar Point in particular). Without iRat running, I'd say that SFFT perhaps wasn't quite a full-day park, unless you're visiting the water park or are a photographer. I actually didn't mind that, as it was nice to have the chance to get some good pictures -- the pace was quicker for most of the stops on our trip, making it more difficult to leverage ride time and photography time. SFFT is worth finding that balance -- the setting at the floor of the quarry was really spectacular, and not at all visually restrictive. The way the quarry wall is built into the design of the the park is very natural, and the biggest rides (such as Superman, Sky Screamer, and iRat) are tall enough to tower over the upper level, providing great views of the park, La Cantera, and the northern sections of San Antonio. Even though the wall isn't going anywhere, there appears to be plenty of room for expansion on the quarry floor -- big enough for one or two major attractions, I'd say.

The quiet middle part of the day also provided an opportunity to get out of the heat and enjoy some conversation in the park's Sangerfest Halle -- the big Festhaus-like dining and show area. While being entertained by one of the most astoundingly remarkable shows we'd experience on the entire trip, it was also a chance to chat with a few more trip participants, and help ease the comfort level of this fish-out-of-water traveler. Thanks Rox, Hans, Chris L, and the Kiwis -- you helped the new guy feel welcome!

Did I mention the heat? The official high temperature for San Antonio was 103 degrees F -- only one degree shy of the record, and seven degrees above normal. That was par for the course for the Texas leg of our trip, but I'll be honest -- I'll happily take that over getting rained out.

Our entire group reconvened for the Lone Star Nights show at closing time, with the park providing us some of the best seats available. I went into the show with few expectations, but was actually rather impressed. You've probably already read about the overflowing Americana, Texas pride, and utter cheesiness in some of the other trip reports -- qualities that make the show so endearingly kitschy. From a technical standpoint, I thought it was a pretty nice blend of projection, lasers, and fireworks. I don't know that I've ever seen lasers and projection combined like this before, with the lasers serving to highlight and outline images and words from the film. I definitely want to thank whoever the first person was to decide "we should show a video on this giant quarry wall" -- brilliant idea! I also want to thank whoever included the TPR wordmark in the pre-show, though it was only displayed for about five seconds, and I couldn't get my own camera ready in time!

After the show, our night was not yet complete -- SFFT re-opened Superman and Sky Screamer for a double shot of night ERT, providing a really great end to our day. Yes, the first official day of the trip was already setting some pretty big expectations for the 11 days to come.

Reviews of some of the park's attractions:

Superman: Krypton Coaster: Having just ridden my first floorless coaster in June -- Dominator at Kings Dominion -- I had a point of comparison for Superman. Although I think I prefer the layout of elements just slightly on Dominator, this is a perfect example of how setting can make a ride. Superman's interactions with the quarry wall are quite fun when moving at a high rate of speed. I found the ride to be just the right amount of forceful, where you get some intensity along the way, but can stay on the ride over and over again without feeling sick. I did just that during our morning and evening ERT sessions, racking up 13 total rides (my second highest count on the trip, after 14 on Millennium Force). This isn't going to end up on any best-of coaster lists, but it's a solid #2 for a park with iRat next door.

Poltergeist: I'd been on both Flight of Fear rides, and found this to be a similar experience, with the added bonus of having no mid-course brake run. I don't think I could marathon this coaster, as it's relatively forceful in places, and a little bit on the rough side. I probably enjoyed this ride slightly less than the consensus of the group.

Scooby-Doo Ghostblasters: Referred to as "Air Conditioning: The Ride" by several TPR trip members, I found it to be a pretty average shooting ride.

Pandemonium: This was the first of three identical Gerstlauer spinning coasters on the trip. I found this coaster to be a little bit more fun than I had anticipated, especially once our Q-Bot group got the car unbalanced. I like the small pop of air near the end, and find it amusing that the car can sometimes go up the lift hill crooked.

Kiddee Koaster: A real thriller. The kind of roller coaster that can bring a grown man to tears. Also: my first counted kiddy coaster credit. I think we all probably know and accept that we rode some coasters in our youth that we can't remember, and that a coaster count is going to be limited by our memories. So, this one gets a special place on the list, and I don't know how I could have done it without the TPR takeover.

Bugs’ White Water Rapids: The Dragon will go down in TPR folklore as one of the biggest villains on the entire trip, but the real key to enjoying this ride was not sitting in the front row. It wasn't the big splash at the end that soaked those at the fore of the boat, but rather, the gentle drop off the lift. I was fortunate to be in the second row, where I enjoyed a relatively entertaining ride. My compatriots in the front suffered from an unacceptable amount of wetness. Though not a traditional log flume (this one had two-aside seating and a slightly wider trough), it started my half-attempts at flume credit counting.

Boomerang: It's a boomerang.

Goliath: Having never been to a Six Flags park, this was my first Batman clone (a mirrored version) -- and yet, it was my fifth invert, after Montu, Raptor, Great Bear, and Alpengeist. The quick, tight pacing was obvious in comparison to those four. I'm not sure that automatically makes it a better ride (I definitely think Montu, at least, is superior), but I know that's the popular opinion of most TPR members.

Road Runner Express: This was a very pleasant surprise! We would end up riding a lot of mine trains on this trip, but this early favorite was perhaps bested only by Thunderation at Silver Dollar City. The ride has a few drops and pulls some force in a helix or two, and its setting in iRat's shadow is a good place to be.

Gully Washer: Usually, on days when I'm not water-park-prepared, I try to avoid the round-boat rapids rides. I decided to give this one a spin, however, and came out only mildly wet. I was fortunate! Outside of hitting the only waterfall on the ride, this was definitely not one of the TPR trip's biggest soakers -- and there would be some later on that easily qualified. A word of advice for this one -- if you're holding on to the padded center bar, you may want to wash your hands when you're done.

SkyScreamer: I do not possess a fear of heights. In fact, I'd say it's quite the opposite. SkyScreamer, thus, was a ride I immediately enjoyed. It never saw it as a "thrill" ride at all. Rather, it was an excuse to circle around at 200 feet and enjoy one heck of a view, especially at night.

Scream: This was my first S&S combo tower, and though it's shorter than some of the other towers I've been on, it was nice to experience a lift and drop in the same ride cycle.

23 total coaster rides was my second highest daily total of the trip, with 31 on our second day at Cedar Point on top. Thanks to the 13 rides on Superman, this day gave me the most inversions by far, with 102. The full day at Silver Dollar City came in second for inversions, with only 29.
Last edited by The Great Zo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:01 pm.
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Day 1 Pictures

Postby The Great Zo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:46 pm

Pictures from Day 1

Additional pictures and bigger versions of these images can be found here and here.
0730_3042.jpg
TPR gathers at the main gate. It was a little bit strange to be among the first people in a park, before the place had even opened!
0730_3047.jpg
Absolutely shameless! Look at these people!
0730_3049.jpg
These people don't know what they're in for.
0730_3052.jpg
Delicious intense! Very boomerang! So Vekoma!
0730_3064.jpg
Goliath, and it's right-turn drop.
0730_3077.jpg
Goliath down the first drop from a distance. Yup, only seven rows on the train.
0730_3080.jpg
Superman appears over the quarry wall.
0730_3081.jpg
In case you were wondering where Scream came from.
0730_3088.jpg
Our group of 12 gathers for the iRat backstage tour.
0730_3088b.jpg
Enter at your own risk? Yes please! Where do I sign up? How quickly can you get this thing running again?
0730_3091.jpg
As visible from the iRat entry area, Road Runner Express is a far-above-average mine train.
0730_3093.jpg
iRat's venom is looking a little watery today.
0730_3097.jpg
Heading over past Gully Washer on the iRat tour.
0730_3106.jpg
I still remember the excitement of seeing pictures of this last winter, knowing (at least, I thought so) that I'd be riding it in late July.
0730_3116.jpg
Barrel roll close up. What a screwily-awesome mesh of steel and wood.
0730_3124.jpg
TPR people on the edge of the pond, photographer considers how easy it would be to accidentally slip down the embankment.
0730_3133.jpg
First drop view -- and who doesn't like the big IR logo?
0730_3153.jpg
Twisted track above the park.
0730_3160.jpg
Is coaster track supposed to bend that way? And what lucky people get to live in those buildings behind the ride?
0730_3168.jpg
Now you can steal all of RMC's construction secrets! A couple pieces of metal, some bolts, wood...
0730_3180.jpg
More iRat twisted track.
0730_3193.jpg
Iron Rattler and Neiman Marcus, because those are two things that it's perfectly normal to find in the same picture.
0730_3197.jpg
iRat towers above even the upper level of the quarry.
0730_3200.jpg
A rattler in the wilderness.
0730_3206.jpg
Back on the ground level, and time for a ride on the train. I could never figure out if it's actually called "Whistle Stop" or "Fiesta Texas Railroad."
0730_3211.jpg
Waterfalls off the quarry wall.
0730_3212.jpg
This couldn't have been just a simple thing to put together!
0730_3214.jpg
Superman's /huge/ loop.
0730_3226.jpg
Kiddee Koaster looking very green.
0730_3254.jpg
Sigh.
0730_3275.jpg
The only potentially-drenching spot on Gully Washer -- the waterfall!
0730_3281.jpg
Three waterfalls on the quarry wall, with a tunnel for the train underneath the one on the left.
0730_3287.jpg
SFFT is a pretty good looking park. This is an area near the big amphitheater in the center. Awesome view, marred only by that painful-looking blue thing sticking up over the hill.
0730_3291.jpg
SkyScreamer in full flight.
0730_3301.jpg
I guess I'm not the only one who hates Top Spins. There were lines for most of the park's attractions, but this was running almost on empty!
0730_3304.jpg
The swings.
0730_3306.jpg
Rockville High School, part of an Americana-themed section of the park, complete with working traffic lights and a road grid. They not only built the school, they put a statue of "J.P. Rock" out in front, creating an entire story for the fake town.
0730_3313.jpg
Superman's cobra roll, as seen from near the Fiesta Bay Boardwalk.
0730_3314.jpg
The "drencher" boat ride, which actually travels up on a ledge of the cliff wall.
0730_3336.jpg
Poltergeist goes through the "spaghetti bowl" elements.
0730_3342.jpg
Tony Hawk's Pro Pandemonium Spin, or something along those lines. Amazing how much skateboard theming is still in place.
0730_3348.jpg
A colorful Ferris wheel.
0730_3355.jpg
Bugs' White Water Rapids, but this isn't the wettest part...
0730_3365.jpg
...nor is this, despite the splashdown.
0730_3370.jpg
Here it is -- the dragon, caught red-handed at the scene of the crime! He's remarkably accurate, and he'll follow your boat the whole way around that curve.
0730_3387.jpg
The Goliath entry plaza.
0730_3390.jpg
Zero-G rolling.
0730_3403.jpg
Breaking out the zoom lens for the giant Superman statue on top of S:KC's loop.
0730_3407.jpg
In case you forgot where we're at.
0730_3411.jpg
"So, is it 5-4-3-2-1, or 1-2-3-4-5?"
"I don't know, but I have a sudden craving for hair gel."
0730_3417.jpg
iRat in the sun.
0730_3427.jpg
SkyScreamer riders way up high.
0730_3435.jpg
Alright, here it is -- "Looney Tunes: We Got The Beat." I was almost rendered speechless by this show! Confused as for how this is playing in 2013, I later learned that the show debuted at some Six Flags park as early as 2004!
0730_3436.jpg
Yes, the shirt says "Tweety Say Relax," but rather than Holly Johnson (Frankie Goes To Hollywood), Tweety was going full-on Boy George with a rendition of Culture Club's "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me."

And I have video of it! This has to be seen and heard to be believed!
http://www.thegreatzo.com/photos/video.php?set=20130730b&vid=0437
0730_3460.jpg
Getting set up for the Lone Star Nights show.
0730_3466.jpg
Windmill at dusk.
0730_3471.jpg
Somehow got another camera flash in this shot. What a bunch of tourists!
0730_3477.jpg
Lone Star Nights begins!

I have one short video segment, which I admit I only took because I wanted to remember they were using the Emerson Lake & Palmer version of Hoedown...
http://www.thegreatzo.com/photos/video.php?set=20130730b&vid=0489

...but Matt (mightypotato) got most of the show on video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja-GL8zX_28
0730_3500.jpg
There must be some sort of explanation that would put this image in context, but I can't figure it out.
0730_3511.jpg
The fireworks begin -- I remember the percussive nature of the blasts matching up well with the guy on horseback.
0730_3530.jpg
Coaster track! Bonus points to anyone who can identify the ride (because I can't).
0730_3531.jpg
Foreshadowing! That's the entry sign to SFOT.
0730_3532.jpg
More foreshadowing! Not sure how many people caught this one, but that's the Texas Star Ferris wheel from Fair Park in Dallas!
0730_3544.jpg
This weather guy has to post a picture of the tornado segment, which was focused mainly on the proud recovery efforts.
0730_3547.jpg
Your face is a moon.
0730_3551.jpg
Near the end of the show, the fireworks really get going! Some of the blasts looked familiar, having seen part of the show from La Cantera two nights prior.
0730_3553.jpg
San Antonio! Hey, that's us.
0730_3562.jpg
The Alamo! I've been there now!

This picture is a good example of the laser effect I mentioned -- lighting up and outlining key parts of the projection.
0730_3566.jpg
I AM TEXAS!
0730_3568.jpg
Fireworks continue near the end of the show.
0730_3581.jpg
Bravo, SFFT!
0730_3588.jpg
Our two rides for night ERT -- SkyScreamer and Superman.
0730_3589.jpg
One last shot of Goliath on the way out of the park. Thanks for a fantastic day, SFFT!
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:01 pm

Stupid dragon! ;)

...and I AM TEXAS!!

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:08 pm

I absolutely love the level of details and effort you put into your reports. I can't wait for the next installment. :)
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby ArizonaGuy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:17 pm

Awesome pics of SFFT! Thanks for posting. Can't wait to see the next pictures you post.

Postby Vonni » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:45 pm

Looking forward to the next segment!

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:10 am

Amazing TR! I really like how you provided huge amount of details that brought back my memory of the trip. Thank you Andy. =)

That dragon! Stupid dragon! I can't stop laughing while I was reading your review and photo description. :lol:

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby mattnz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:24 am

Another great update Andy. I do agree with the "enjoy the downtime" advice. A more relaxing day here and there on a TPR trip is fantastic, and the itinerary usually provides this (i.e. on this trip the next park was Sea World, which was more relaxing than Fiesta Texas, followed by the exhausting SFOT, then a more leisurely day at Magic Springs, etc).

I think your mystery coaster is Titan at SFOT?
0730_3530.jpg
Oh my God, I'm a nerd.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:01 am

I was thinking either Titan or Goliath. It's tough to tell the difference from that angle.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive