TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

I visited over Thanksgiving and found out the park has other parking areas down the road. My family parked in "The Bank". How often does the park have to open up those lots?

More often than you'd think, especially on weekends, and Thanksgiving is a hugely popular time. They have a few lots scattered throughout the Indian Point peninsula. It's really not a big deal to park there; they have plenty of people directing traffic, and unless you pay for valet parking, you're going to be taking the tram or bus in. Even the preferred parking lot is about a quarter mile from the entrance and still has a tram stop. Not a whole lot of flat ground to put a parking lot, so that's how it's always been.

The Southern Stone County Fire Protection District is reporting that they just responded to a fire in Silver Dollar City at Outlaw Run. They've updated to say that only the 'entrance' was involved and not the ride itself. No idea of what the extent of the damage is yet.

It's a pity, they really did a good job with this station. Here's hoping they get it restored as good as new for next season.

According to Silver Dollar City officials, there was a fire tonight involving the area surrounding the Outlaw Run roller coaster. The coaster itself was never on fire. The flames were contained to a small area, near the depot sign, and were quickly put out. Firefighters do remain on the scene at this time, watching for hot spots. The structure near the coaster has sustained some fire and water damage. We'll have more on this, tomorrow morning on Ozarks Today at 5:00 a.m.

Found that posted on the FB page, sounds official. They are really trying to stress to people that the coaster itself was not involved. You know the GP - some of them already think it burned to the ground because it is a wood coaster after all

Sounds like it was pretty small and was contained quickly. A bit of damage to the station, but it doesn't sound like anything they can fix within a few weeks. Certainly by the time the off-season is over, we won't be able to tell anything happened. This isn't the first fire on SDC property that they've bounced back from. Just last year the operator tower on the American Plunge log flume was struck by lightning and burned down - that's why they close the rides during storms!

I see they're already working on repairs. Since it's Silver Dollar City, I trust that any lost theming will be fully restored (though I'm not sure any was damaged).

I (may have) used my Outlaw Run mug today to celebrate her not burning down. Not that I need a special reason to.

Just got an email from Silver Dollar City about the fire:

UPDATE 12/11/2013 3:30 p.m.

Cause of Minor SDC Fire Attributed to Electrical Fault

Reconstruction Near Complete of Exterior Wall in Queue Line of Outlaw Run

(Branson 12/11/2013 3:30 central) Outlaw Run itself was not impacted by Tuesday night’s fire, however Silver Dollar City crews had some repair work today to the exterior areas of the ride’s queue line where the flames were confined (10’ x 10’) and efficiently extinguished by regional firefighters. Progress is swift in replacing the affected areas, and no impact is expected on tomorrow’s scheduled opening of the park, 1:00 central.

The fire occurred at approximately 10:50 p.m. Tuesday evening on an exterior wall in the outside queue line area at Outlaw Run. The smoke alarm system immediately alerted park Security who contacted the Southern Stone County Fire Department. Regional fire departments arrived within approximately 8 minutes and the flame was quickly extinguished.

There were no injuries.

Silver Dollar City will open as scheduled Thursday at 1 p.m. for An Old Time Christmas, running through December 30.

1012922817_OUTLAWRUNFIRE12-10-2013.thumb.jpeg.8fa2e117748cc956e12dfe1fc210cd4b.jpeg

It's interesting how careful they've had to been with handling the PR behind this minor incident. You can tell how much they've had to emphasize that there was no damage to the coaster itself and that the park will still open tomorrow. You just wouldn't believe the rumors that tried to flourish last night about this. It takes so little to set them off, and it's so hard to get them to die, even with official statements. Even now it amazes me how many people keep posting on their FB to ask if the park is still going to open tomorrow, in response to posts from the park that say it will...

I'm surprised they released a picture as well, very nicely handled by the park. It's also nice to see that all the systems worked for them, how did the fire department get there in 8 minutes?!? It's a fairly remote park as I remember.

That's a good question. Maybe there is a maintenance entrance closer to the ride?

Edit: Google Maps shows an employee parking lot connecting right to a pathway leading to Outlaw Run's plaza.