Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1191 - Maxx Force Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby Cameron » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:10 am

TPR was invited out to the park this morning for a delightful construction tour of Goliath - and when someone says "take photos of Goliath woody erection", we say "YES". Goliath will be the tallest, fastest and steepest wooden coaster when it opens in "late Spring" of 2014. It's still just a baby, but they grow-up so fast.

We also got a few inches of lovely snow yesterday, which makes for some rather pretty photos..
photo 1.JPG
The train engineer will be treated to this lovely view each time he pulls into the station.
photo 2.JPG
Small panorama of one end of the site. The frame from the Iron Wolf station will be reused, but the platforms will be expanded. I suspect we won't recognize this station once it's done.
photo 3.JPG
Some wood. Goliath is a wood coaster :)
photo 4.JPG
The old Iron Wolf queue will be reused too (although the snow will be removed before opening day). Additional queuing space will be created on the midway where the karaoke booth currently stands.
photo 5.JPG
This "box" is sunk below grade and will house the lift-hill motor and other machinery.
photo 1.JPG
A little snow won't stop these guys .. I mean that makes for some crappy headlines "SNOW-FLAKES DELAY WORLD'S TALLEST FASTEST AND STEEPEST WOODEN ROLLER-COASTER".
photo 2.JPG
This bent was being actively worked on - the construction equipment was dropping some beams into place.
photo 3.JPG
The tunnel - into which the first drop plunges. This tunnel will be 15 feet below ground, and is what will give us the 180 foot drop.
photo 5.JPG
EXCLUSIVE REVERSE-POV SHOT!!
photo 6.JPG
For the wooden-stake enthusiasts (don't be shy, we won't judge).
photo 4.JPG
An American Eagle car being worked on in the maintenance shed.
photo 5.JPG
I stood by this crate of harness parts for over an hour, but no-one jumped out of it :(
photo 0.JPG
I see cute little Whizzer cars over there!
photo 2.JPG
Goliath thanks to Brandon Bruce and the rest of the staff at Six Flags Great America. We know these little tours can be a bit disruptive, but we really appreciate getting a glimpse of all the hard work being done. The excitement is growing as quickly as the ride itself!

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby Cameron » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:51 am

I realized that I forgot to post this - taken from the old Iron Wolf exit ramp (which will be re-used)..
photo.JPG

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Great update for Goliath! Can't wait to see even more great construction photos as work goes on! =)

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby RCjunkie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks for braving the cold and posting this Goliath update, great to see it go vertical. Nice shot of the future drop tunnel too, it will be fun to compare it to the finished product. Did they share any information about Goliath that you didn't already know?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:02 pm

So young, and already so photogenic. I'm looking forward to seeing this take shape.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simaticable » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:17 pm

I love coasters in the snow, and Goliath in the snow is no exception. Truly a beautiful scene, and I wish I could have been there.
Schwarzkopf was a genius; anything less makes you a moron. ;)

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Very happy to see the Iron Wolf station house & queues will be re-purposed. I've spent a good chunk of time traversing those paths over over the years. My favorite part of Superman Ultimate Flight a few doors down is maneuvering through Shockwave's comically long queue. Unlike SUF, luckily, odds are good that the ride itself (Goliath) will serve as the focal point of the experience.
Been you to have any spike, man?

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:39 am

I keep forgetting that they already have the station and queue line built. I'm sure they will add some theming to it. The coaster already excites me and can't wait to see more updates.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby DanM64 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:46 am

Awesome pics!! I haven't been this excited about a coaster in a very long time.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:49 am

The ride is looking better and better. Just wondering if the size of the queue area would be enough for a huge coaster like this. Maybe they would make some extension?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!