Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1436: Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure news
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby TNK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:23 pm

Dragon Challenge: Hungarian Horntail elements in the ride:
6m.png

Please correct me if I am wrong!

1. start moving
2. start climbing the hill
3. 0g loop
4,5,7,8 kinetic energy is used (breaking, red) to spin the train (lateral g, blue)
6. break
9. final break
10, 11 breaks
12. final stop

40 seconds, total ride time.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:06 pm

Sorry to take away from the science talk. I might even be late on this but its great news to hear they are upgrading the projectors for both The Simpsons ride and Forbidden Journey. I remember the first time I went through Journey and thought wow, these videos look aged. It's as if Universal listens to us.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Hulk - acceelration graph

Postby lond » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:58 am

rcjp wrote:
TNK wrote:
rcjp wrote:Interesting. I assume that, given that there is forward acceleration throughout the ride, you didn't sit in the middle, right?

I don't see how forward acceleration can be influenced greatly by the seat on the ride.

Well let's say you sit in the very back of a coaster. If there is a big first drop (like on hypers and gigas) you will notice that the back is pulled by the rest of the train over the top. If you sit in the front, on the other hand, you will be left sort of hanging for a while before the rest of the train enters the drop. This can also be noticed on some loops, for example. When I rode batman the ride at sfgadv I remember that, when sitting in the front, it would have a sort of hanging feel once that part of the train had cleared the top of the loop while in the back it was the opposite: it would be "pulled" down the second half of the loop. The longer the trains are the bigger the difference is. In theory, the middle is where there are less forward or backwards forces as it is the center of mass of the train.

You can clearly see the two stops on the graphic as then the forward acceleration is negative but throughout the rest of the ride there are smaller variations partially cause by this.

Loefet and I have 20+ measurements of Balder from almost every row and we can approximate where in the train the measurement was recorded with the force-characteristic of the airtime hills. You can see this in almost every coaster.

Good explanation about rotation and noise reduction.

/// Marcus
On Quest for the Holy G Force
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ImageImage

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:59 am

The only thing I know about Hulk is that it has a terrible B&M rattle now. That's scientifically proven!

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:22 am

Mrlittle wrote:Sorry to take away from the science talk. I might even be late on this but its great news to hear they are upgrading the projectors for both The Simpsons ride and Forbidden Journey. I remember the first time I went through Journey and thought wow, these videos look aged. It's as if Universal listens to us.

Unfortunately I doubt it will help Harry Potter. Simpsons is a simulator through and through, so an upgrade is great. For Potter, though, the image will be better but the integration will still be crap. The whole zipper-style they devised with the vehicles entering the domes was a great idea on paper but poor on execution. Also, the speed difference between screen scenes and live scenes is kind of ridiculous. Spider-Man / Transformers managed the speed differential perfectly. Potter goes from 0-60-0 in 1/2 of a second.

I'm reallllllllly hoping they fix it for Hollywood. I do love the ride, I just feel it needed an extra year of incubation in the lab before being made.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Hulk - acceelration graph

Postby TNK » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:03 am

lond wrote:Loefet and I have 20+ measurements of Balder from almost every row and we can approximate where in the train the measurement was recorded with the force-characteristic of the airtime hills. You can see this in almost every coaster.

Do you have data regarding the seat on the row? I feel that an lateral seat really makes a difference compared to a middle seat, not only because of the better view, but also because of the G forces.

What are you trying to do with the data? Are you going to make it public, or publish it?

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby ajfelice » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Just going to throw this out there.

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit was an absolute surprise. I didn't expect much more than an average ride, but it was anything but that. Great airtime, forceful, and comfortable. It may be a nasty ride to maintain, but it kicks some serious butt. Haters gonna hate, but I cannot find a reason to complain about this one.

Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure were both amazing parks, but I'm too lazy to type up a full report so I just wanted to make my opinion on this coaster known.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:18 pm

http://www.licensing.biz/news/read/creative-licensing-details-merchandise-plans-for-bill-and-ted-s-25th-anniversary/038954

A range of apparel, toys and posters will mark the milestone in 2014

Independent entertainment licensing agency Creative Licensing Corporation has detailed the merchandise programme for Bill and Ted's 25th birthday celebrations in 2014.

The stars of 1989 movie Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and its 1991 sequel Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey celebrate 25 years in 2014, and there will be a range of apparel, toys, posters and live show marking the milestone.

The duo have enjoyed a life beyond the films thanks to Bill and Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure at Universal Studios Orlando Florida and Universal Studios Hollywood. The show has been running since 1991 and will now continue to run for the next five years thanks to new deal with Universal.

Elsewhere, a new Bill and Ted comic book series is on the way from BOOM along with collectible figures from Funko and art posters from Mondo.

Fans will also be able to wear Bill and Ted clothing thanks to new deals with apparel makers Global in the UK and Junkfood and ODM in the US.

Bill and Ted will also return to the big screen in the near future, with Alex Winter recently confirming that work is under way for a third film.
image.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby HWFan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Hey everyone!
This year at Thanksgiving, I found out that my aunt's long time boyfriend is something like the executive producer for the Universal Parks. He is ultimately in charge of all designs for the parks. He talks to JK Rowling on a weekly basis about how the design and construction process is going. Sometime within the next four months, we are taking a trip down to get kind of an inside look at the parks with him for free, and I wanted to see if anyone had any questions to ask him either about individual projects (at any park) or the design process in general. I promise to write them down to have them ready for whenever we go.

My aunt said that he's a HUGE theme park geek like most coaster enthusiasts and that whenever the new train got dropped off, he didn't stop talking about it for days.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:00 pm

^If he values his job, I am not sure there is much he can say...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!